• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mercury

Reaction score
I use a set of Global knives as recommended by GF above.

They were recommended by Anthony Bourdain in his first book, Kitchen Confidential.
Both the four knife Global blocks and the six knife blocks can be had on sale from various eBay sellers.

If you're deadset on Damascus steel, I saw House selling cheap sets when walking past e.g. https://www.house.com.au/product/baccarat-damashiro-knife-block-7-piece-oak

However before purchasing something like that, be sure to read reviews. I don't know anyone who's bought them, and it's practically 7 knives for the price of one Japanese knife from a reputable brand.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for everyone's replies. After a bit of reading this morning, and reading some of Bourdain's comments, I really don't need a big block/set. What I need (I think) is a chef's knife, a paring knife, and also a bread knife. I'd like to get them all the same, at least the chef's and paring knife, so I'l look out for a decent small combo set.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
Hey! That's a bit harsh now isn't it.

On a different note. Does anyone know a decent shoe polishing service in Sydney? None left here in Adelaide. I have a pair of Tan DMs that I've completely ruined somehow (whitish sheen over the who shoe and antiquing reduced to intermittent dark splotches) and I think need to be stripped back and repolished and antiqued from scratch. Must be beyond my skills since I did such a terrible job with them in the first place :(

@ovlov / all - try this guy out if you haven't been to Baxter yet. He is conservative business dress based and does a personal pickup/drop off (as far as I remember). I know someone who is currently getting shoes re-stained/patinated (SIC?) by him, and having seen his previous mirror shines (high gloss captoes and gradual fades) I think he may be a good alternative.

Contact details:
Anoush
0452 221450

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
Greetings and happy new year fellow sartorians!

I've been out for the count since July with a new bubba but am back in full swing.
Here is the little tyke in full elf garb at Christmas time. Not SF sanctioned but fun none the less.

Hope santas sack was good to you in the man-cessories department.

....Speaking of which, as a heads up, I will be cleaning up my wardrobe and have several items like 7-fold ties (Bulgari, RLPL etc.), brand new eSpadrilles (New in box unworn - too small) that I need to offload which I will post over the coming days.

Hope you're all well,
B.

elf2.jpeg

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for everyone's replies. After a bit of reading this morning, and reading some of Bourdain's comments, I really don't need a big block/set. What I need (I think) is a chef's knife, a paring knife, and also a bread knife. I'd like to get them all the same, at least the chef's and paring knife, so I'l look out for a decent small combo set.
What others said - you'll get a decent block set with scissors for almost the price of a single knife at times.

Pro Tip: A good bread knife will do anything. Slice tomatoes, carrots, bread, frozen tomato paste, ice cream, a roast beef/lamb/pork /chicken, and for @Prince of Paisley chop up a mull.
Scissors are a must have.
The least used utensil in my kitchen is the paring knife.

The most dangerous, so dangerous its been wrapped up and put way, is the Kinmen Knife - from a visit to the Island.
http://sp-store.com/kinmens/store09.html
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2004/10/31/2003209161/1
35_201100017833_L-480x480.jpg
wu-tsengdong-a-knife-maker-labors-in-a-knife-factory-in-kinmen-taiwan-picture-id94645857

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most dangerous, so dangerous its been wrapped up and put way, is the Kinmen Knife - from a visit to the Island.

wu-tsengdong-a-knife-maker-labors-in-a-knife-factory-in-kinmen-taiwan-picture-id94645857
Hannibal Lecters sashimi kit?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do people actually use kitchen scissors for?

Cutting things. :p

Seriously, though, you can use them for roughly cutting herbs, spring onions and various things, and depending on how heavy-duty they are, you can use them for cutting up poultry, crustaceans and other such tasks.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree; I never use the one I got in my Mundial set.

Since I started working in the local op shop I've been staggered at what comes into kitchenware. Because they're dangerous, knives go into our display case in a place where people don't readily see them. So far this year I've picked up knives by Wusthof, Mundial, Dick and Dovo Solingen for a few dollars each. So I'd say buy your basics according to your wallet, but keep your eyes peeled for the chance to add to them on the cheap.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What others said - you'll get a decent block set with scissors for almost the price of a single knife at times.

Pro Tip: A good bread knife will do anything. Slice tomatoes, carrots, bread, frozen tomato paste, ice cream, a roast beef/lamb/pork /chicken, and for @Prince of Paisley chop up a mull.
Scissors are a must have.

http://sp-store.com/kinmens/store09.html
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2004/10/31/2003209161/1

Is that the one they advertise on Instagram? Looks evil.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just tried to log on to Henry Carter only to find they are no longer around... (Looks like the thread was locked in '15, so perhaps i am slightly behind the times...)

where do you guys buy ties <$150?

Hello mate, and hello everyone. It's been a while, yeah the business was closed a few years ago now but good to hear people are still talking about it occasionally. I don't have much need to come here these days, am now a landscape gardener which was always a passion before and have a thriving little business just out of Canberra. My days are now spent in blundstones, work shorts and t-shirts and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now I think of it, I have a few nice pairs of Carminas and a few others in boxes that haven't seen a foot in a few years. I might post them up to see if anyone is interested in them. Being a landscaper changes the physique quite a bit and none of them fit me anymore.

Cheers
Jason

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads