• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Canali's come in drop 6 to 8, in several different models. Other than Kei, usually comes with slightly constructed shoulders, too high buttoning stance and low rise pants. But calling them boxy in general might be a touch exaggerated. As for elegance, I really have no idea what you are talking about unless you provide more specifics. Try to separate facts from pure opinions please.
Strong shoulder line, unnaturally straight sleeve drop often resulting in indented shoulders. Billow at the nape, unpleasant chest, as you say high button front and low rise. I consider these to be inelegant. As for facts versus opinion, these facts are not constants as each person differs. Therefore, my opinion stands.

Regards.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy mystic pigskins, Brumbies leading the Hurricanes at half time! Is my faith in Oz rugby about to be restored!

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strong shoulder line, unnaturally straight sleeve drop often resulting in indented shoulders. Billow at the nape, unpleasant chest, as you say high button front and low rise. I consider these to be inelegant. As for facts versus opinion, these facts are not constants as each person differs. Therefore, my opinion stands.

Regards.

Thanks for clarifying your opinions. Very useful for future reference. The high button stance and low rise use to drive me nuts until I sort of got used to them. I dont have the other problems you have pointed out. In fact, I really like the chest. The strong shoulder line has its use, mainly in business settings, even though I feel more comfortable with no padding shoulders.

The other thing that is really annoying is the difference in fits, lengths, etc for different models. Wish they have more consistency.

Any experience on Borrelli suits by any chance? Formosa?

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying your opinions. Very useful for future reference. The high button stance and low rise use to drive me nuts until I sort of got used to them. I dont have the other problems you have pointed out. In fact, I really like the chest. The strong shoulder line has its use, mainly in business settings, even though I feel more comfortable with no padding shoulders.

The other thing that is really annoying is the difference in fits, lengths, etc for different models. Wish they have more consistency.

Any experience on Borrelli suits by any chance? Formosa?
Many years ago when the Borrelli boutique opened in Melbourne I bought a jacket, I was quite young (say 25) - with a very different build - I thought that jacket was a sublime piece, soft rolled shoulders; beautiful sleeve shape; near perfect drop. As for suits, no experience. I do like Oxxford, D'avenza and Isaia suits. Though I seldom wear suits now, I still prefer to have my suits made.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:censored::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::censored::censored::censored: Damn you Rugby gods!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I seldom wear suits now, I still prefer to have my suits made.

I'm the same. I have little need for suits these days and am not very proportionate, so I think any future suit will be MTM by somebody like Oscar Hunt. It's not that much more than a nice OTR suit + the inevitable alterations.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long has Canali been colonising the bottom half at HB?

Got accosted by Ali. Unpleasant.

Yeah, I don't like to hang it on SAs, but I wasted no time getting back upstairs after my encounter. I was pretty unimpressed by the whole bunch of them actually; some looked bored shitless. The guys in the Toorak store were much more like it.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
A while since my last post. Hope everyone is well.

What's the place to go for leather peccary gloves these days (I guess fur lined is the way to go?).

In return, I would like people to be aware of Collinol Nubuk + Textile Classic.

https://www.collonil.com.au/nubuk-textile-classic-1537.html

I bought one in older packaging locally. It works probably better than the Saphir spray without the mess hassle on spray (Collinol also have a colour spray).

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't like to hang it on SAs, but I wasted no time getting back upstairs after my encounter. I was pretty unimpressed by the whole bunch of them actually; some looked bored shitless. The guys in the Toorak store were much more like it.
Said it before, will say it again - they now resemble a calibre crew (Ari... I'm at a loss there). I now avoid the Collins st store, actually, I find myself avoiding HB. Even popped into Raoul's recently simply as I knew I'd receive first class service.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
A while since my last post. Hope everyone is well.

What's the place to go for leather peccary gloves these days (I guess fur lined is the way to go?).

In return, I would like people to be aware of Collinol Nubuk + Textile Classic.

https://www.collonil.com.au/nubuk-textile-classic-1537.html

I bought one in older packaging locally. It works probably better than the Saphir spray without the mess hassle on spray (Collinol also have a colour spray).
Double monk (beginning to sound like an equity investor); aarch.co (recommended to me by someone here); or leffot if you are comfortable online. Also a great MTM place in London, name evades me...

melbournites

Reaction score
For anyone based in Melbourne and looking for a made to measure suit I fully recommend Steve Calder MTM. I know others on here have shared their positive experiences. On to suit number 2 and only positive things to say about the quality of the product and both service and advice given during the sale and after sale. If you are after a Neapolitan style with high level of handmade detailing you can't go past the value provided in terms of price and service level. I have been waiting to try the mtm shirting and Steve is having an introductory offer.

During the limited Period 30-July until 4 August:

Order a Calder Suit: receive a complimentary MTM Vanacore Napoli Shirt worth $299
Order a Calder Jacket: Receive a complimentary MTM Vanacore Napoli Shirt worth $269
Order a pair of Calder trousers: Receive a complimentary Viola Milano Tie worth $190
Order a Vanacore Napoli Shirt: Receive a complimentary upgrade to 9-Steps by Hand
Buy a Viola Milano or Spacca Neapolis Tie: Receive a complimentary Cotton/Linen Pocket Square

www.stevecalder.com.au

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Said it before, will say it again - they now resemble a calibre crew (Ari... I'm at a loss there). I now avoid the Collins st store, actually, I find myself avoiding HB. Even popped into Raoul's recently simply as I knew I'd receive first class service.

I've seen the place change over the years and generally have always enjoyed pottering around in there during the sales, but this time it was just depressing being downstairs. There was some OK clobber at OK prices, but it was a pretty bad vibe. I got a dark green bomber on the cheap upstairs where I found the staff to be pretty perky and happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads