• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canberran's John Hanna is closing down. Sighted a few bargains, corduroy trousers at half price.

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
Hi all - I don't often post but keep track of this thread. I have struggled finding chinos that fit well and have a crease and are not pricey.

Might be too cheap for some but have recently found some great fitting ones (for me) at Uniqlo - 100% cotton, quite high waisted with a wide waistband and a crease in the leg and a good silhouette- all for the absurd current sale price of $19.90. Not sure how long they'll last but now have a number of pairs in beige, olive and navy. Most sizes still available. Link below:

http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-chino-flat-front-pants-1862000007.html
Thanks for that. The price is absurdly cheap. How high waisted are they? What size/height are you and do they sit at the true waist?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canberran's John Hanna is closing down. Sighted a few bargains, corduroy trousers at half price.
Yes I just heard yesterday about it closing down. John himself has cancer I have heard, quite bad cancer that will likely do him in over the next couple of years. I did work experience there getting on 20 years ago now! He is a nice bloke, unfortunately the store itself lost its way a bit over the last 10 years focusing on flashier stuff like Versace etc. Paul and Shark was a nice label they stocked also, not my style but I always admired it.

Charhan1

Reaction score
Thanks for that. The price is absurdly cheap. How high waisted are they? What size/height are you and do they sit at the true waist?

I'm 5' 10" and medium(ish) build - they're pretty much at my true waist - higher than any other chino I've tried and very comfortable.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I just heard yesterday about it closing down. John himself has cancer I have heard, quite bad cancer that will likely do him in over the next couple of years. I did work experience there getting on 20 years ago now! He is a nice bloke, unfortunately the store itself lost its way a bit over the last 10 years focusing on flashier stuff like Versace etc. Paul and Shark was a nice label they stocked also, not my style but I always admired it.
Sad news JH was always a friendly chap when I'd go in.

Ties & more ties for me over the past 10 years. And a couple of suits.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my order for two grenadines from Henry Carter yesterday. Exquisite. Thanks Jason.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Canberra needing an carcoat, sports coat or casual winter weight jacket good bargains to be had at John Hanna. Picked up some Brax corduroy trousers in rust for half price.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF is this haggis? Wannabes lose to Scotland in the rugby. FFS:brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick:

I was having such a pleasant weekend. :censored::censored:

RKLan

Reaction score
There is a guy who just moved into a conservative business dress arcades studio here in Adelaide who does custom leatherwork.

www.leatherworksadelaide.com.au

Had a good 40min chat to him the other day during lunch. Was quite open and easy to talk to. Apparently been back at it since about Oct last year. Last 20 or so years he has been overseas in HK etc as a senior manager for various leather manufactorers and such but got sick of that and wanted to come back closer to family.

Talked through all sorts, turns out he uses saphir products for his leather in production which he had some trouble getting hold of initially until he got out in touch with a local distributor. He doesn't really do mixed media goods but is happy to customize and come up with products/details with client.

Made mention that he gets chevre goat leather for his wallets and produces them in line with Hermes stuff. Thought it was worth a mention just in case any of you are having trouble getting hold of a green wallet...

Personally am tempted to get something for work due to my upcoming 30th.
McRae_0316_32.jpg
Perhaps along lines of the attached in a medium/dark brown. He says he has got some really good leather from a renowned int. supplier coming in soon he is keen work with. Had some colour samples with him, don't remember exact details. Small batch makers typically have trouble of they can't bulk order but they were willing to give him 10m in various colours.

Just thought you all might be interested in some local old school craft talent in case this was an area of interest rather than looking for overseas stuff. Price seems reasonable and he is quite accomodating.

Apparently something like a 4 to 6 week turn around.

Will let you know if I do pull the trigger on this and give appropriate updates.

Just an update on this. Decided to pull the trigger on this for my 30th (which has just past).

Been speaking to Rob today as he called me down to see first hand a black version he made for another client. Was able to handle and discuss various parts and options. He is most happy to accomodate details such as inclusion or exclusion/placements of pockets and the like.

He takes pride in work and is very open, although he has built up quite few orders and is bounces between them a bit haphazardly.

Prices on some of larger products has gone up a bit as his accountant told him he wasn't taking into account collecting GST. He was happy to honour original price me for though given I have been keen on this piece for a while.

Most impressive but is that when he gets the hide for my piece unwrapped he will give me a call to come down and select the main front flap section with him before he cuts which I thought was nice of him. Happy for me to be involved.

Ended up going with the Tasman brown veg tan leather. Will add an additional pen pocket inside and my initials somewhere but other than that his standard model is pretty much what I was looking for.

Also picked up a kangaroo bifold wallet from him.

Will post picks of finished product of anyone is still keen by that time.

Amusing bit is that when I asked if he needed a deposit he turned me down as he said that if I disappeared he would just stick bag in window and it would sell within a couple of days so he wasn't concerned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads