• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

State of menswear in HK has room for improvement. Used to be decent, now probably already surpassed by Sydney. Since Xmas eve, have not seen a single decent captoe even in TST and Causeway Bay. In fact, you will struggle to find someone in a sport coat, let alone a decent fitting one.

Artisan supplies though are plentiful in Sham Shui Po. Genuine horn buttons, shell cordovan from Horween/Comipel/Shinki, suiting fabrics, etc.

Prices are pretty high due to strong HKD vs weak AUD. You think Sydney property prices are bad, how about HKD$42m for a 150 square meter apartment in waterfront Whampoa, nearly twice the price of a 2 bedroom in Barangaroo. Crazy....

Happy belated new year to all.

150sqm! That's a mansion!
I share a 40sqm apartment.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matinee performance of Measure for Measure with Mrs GF then probably dinner drinks. Sydney currently 34C max 39C. Lavender linen gingham S/S shirt and Navy linen trousers.

Here's the rub.

Rain is predicted for this afternoon. So should I suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and wear suede shoes? Or in fortitude wear a comfortable pair of brown leather Oxfords.

Truly the plays the thing.

Last edited:

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Matinee performance of Measure for Measure with Mrs GF then probably dinner drinks. Sydney currently 34C max 39C. Lavender linen gingham S/S shirt and Navy linen trousers.

Here's the rub.

Rain is predicted for this afternoon. So should I suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and wear suede shoes? Or in fortitude wear a comfortable pair of brown leather Oxfords.

Oxfords.

Things without all remedy
Should be without regard. What’s done is done.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score

Here's the rub.

Oxfords.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both......

Mr GF, why not take the road less travelled?
After all, it is only a 30-40% chance of rain...

Suede is remarkable at making a comeback after being soaked. As long as you wet the leather evenly after the soaking, and brush the nap back into place you will be fine. Alternatively, buy some repellant and spray to your hearts content on said shoes before heading out.

B.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oxfords.

To Oxford , or not to. Oxfords , that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fashion
Or wear suede against a rain of troubles?

Sadly thus practically and the weather does make Cowards of us all.

Bravo Serria staying in the wilds and have yet to treat lofas. Hour and a half drive to Bill.

Last edited:

cemi1988

Reaction score
been a while since i had anything altered.

today i was quoted the following $135 to let out a jacket waist.

have no idea whether this is reasonable as I can't remember prices. is this a reasonable price?

silk saddle $65 and shorten trouser (no cuff) $25 - these seem reasonable.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I'm currently camped out in Bondi Junction's food court since my place doesn't have air conditioning... which makes me think I need to solve this heat problem. So is it better to open all the windows and buy a few fans, or get an air conditioner? And if so, then what are the electronic stores here? We're 4-5 late 20's early 30's transient cheap dudes so nothing fancy, cheap and cheerful is good. Rec's? Thanks!

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

been a while since i had anything altered.

today i was quoted the following $135 to let out a jacket waist.

have no idea whether this is reasonable as I can't remember prices. is this a reasonable price?

silk saddle $65 and shorten trouser (no cuff) $25 - these seem reasonable.

That's very very expensive.

To put it into perspective - I was just transiting in Singapore and altered some clothes while I was there.

$2-4 SGD (~3AUD) to hem trousers, $12-15SGD to narrow a trouser from the inside seam (~12AUD). Everything came out perfect. Went to a small suburban seamstress though, not someplace in the city centre.

Strongly recommend you get yourself to an ethnic minority tailor (e.g Vietnamese in the suburbs) for simple alterations like these.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To put it into perspective - I was just transiting in Singapore and altered some clothes while I was there.

$2-4 SGD (~3AUD) to hem trousers, $12-15SGD to narrow a trouser from the inside seam (~12AUD). Everything came out perfect. Went to a small suburban seamstress though, not someplace in the city centre.
I've had some really bad experiences in Singapore, many shirts ruined. Care to share the contact details for that seamstress? I need to take in a few jackets and shirts, my tailor won't do it (not his work in the first place, so fair enough) and I don't want to risk more ruined clothing.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'm currently camped out in Bondi Junction's food court since my place doesn't have air conditioning... which makes me think I need to solve this heat problem. So is it better to open all the windows and buy a few fans, or get an air conditioner? And if so, then what are the electronic stores here? We're 4-5 late 20's early 30's transient cheap dudes so nothing fancy, cheap and cheerful is good. Rec's? Thanks!

When did you arrive in Oz? I should put you in touch with the Sydney perfumistas.

Contango

Reaction score

Don't buy an evaporative cooler if some salesman tries to flog you one, it's too humid in Sydney for them to work.

If you're only trying to cool at night then windows open and fans help (as an example, my a/c is only in the lounge room so that's what I'm doing tonight in the bedrooms and I'm very comfortable, but we've had that cool southerly come late afternoon to help) but you'll still have some uncomfortable nights, during the day that would make things worse, need an air conditioner.

Go look at Harvey Norman, Bing Lee and Good Guys, then buy what you like from Appliances Online for less cost and free delivery.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both......

Mr GF, why not take the road less travelled?

But the other as just as fair...XD

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

When did you arrive in Oz? I should put you in touch with the Sydney perfumistas.

Got here a few weeks ago but basically only found a place a few days ago and am settling in now. Will shoot you a PM to discuss, thanks.

Don't buy an evaporative cooler if some salesman tries to flog you one, it's too humid in Sydney for them to work.

If you're only trying to cool at night then windows open and fans help (as an example, my a/c is only in the lounge room so that's what I'm doing tonight in the bedrooms and I'm very comfortable, but we've had that cool southerly come late afternoon to help) but you'll still have some uncomfortable nights, during the day that would make things worse, need an air conditioner.

Go look at Harvey Norman, Bing Lee and Good Guys, then buy what you like from Appliances Online for less cost and free delivery.

Ah good to know. I was looking up that evaporative cooler on the Target site and it seemed promising (mixed reviews though). Will skip it.

I looked at some free standing ac's at Harvey Norman today and they're $800-1300 and those are the cheapest. The more powerful ones or wall mounted ones are more $ and require me to get the landlord involved so I can't do that. I'll check the other two sources, thanks!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Escaped hot Saturday @ Hockney NGV. Hawaiian Shirt. Linen Trousers.
Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian
Whisper in my ear
Kicka pooka mok a wa wahini
Are the words I long to hear
Lay your coconut on my tiki
What the hecka mooka mooka dear
Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian
Say the words I long to hear

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads