• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
South Bank proper is not great, but good stuff nearby.

Fish Lane is the trendy precinct, lots of bars so perhaps not all family-friendly, but Julius is an atmospheric Italian spot with great pizza.

Otherwise, Nostimo at the Greek Club is good and you can sit on the terrace with city views. For somewhere less expensive and BYO, Little Greek Taverna in West End is an institution.

West End also has Bird’s Nest Japanese, and lots of various cheap and cheerful Asian places of varying kinds. Also a good bet for breakfast/coffee. I am very partial to West End Coffee House which has a mix of breakfast staples, Thai food and some fusion dishes.
Plenty of options and price points.
Fish Lane is a new precinct worth checking out. High end restaurants at far end of river ( near the river green ) towards goodwill bridge.
Many others along Grey street etc.
Will be pretty busy and active in September with Brisbane Festival on through next month.
Thanks guys!

Will check out Fish Lane and Grey Street. Reason I specifically mentioned Southbank is because we’ll be staying at the Novotel Southbank. Looking forward to the trip!

By the way @The False Prophet, here’s some shots of the buttoned cuff on my custom SuSu trousers in VBC birds eye. Thought you might be interested…

Attachments

• 1A3E5211-17ED-4FB2-A58E-EB30AC513FEB.jpeg
    1A3E5211-17ED-4FB2-A58E-EB30AC513FEB.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 15
  • 345D7DF4-9C7A-48A2-9F3E-077745C4472D.jpeg
    345D7DF4-9C7A-48A2-9F3E-077745C4472D.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 94B3D4FE-7CBA-4EC7-8715-290C59BE38A1.jpeg
    94B3D4FE-7CBA-4EC7-8715-290C59BE38A1.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 59
  • FC1F864F-C105-4EA0-A14B-53D0B2036AE2.jpeg
    FC1F864F-C105-4EA0-A14B-53D0B2036AE2.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 74

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DM Sydney was pretty welcoming when Sasha was the manager. Friendly fella. The two young guys with him were alright too. Never felt like you were being pressured to buy stuff. Don’t know about the current crew though…

I’m content with Carmina as I hardly step into the office much these days. Good price point for decent quality.

BananaKing

Reaction score
I think OP on black oxfords was looking at reasonable (mid range) price points. So I doubt EG fits that. Check out Lof Tung and Carlos Santos - decent lasts and decent enough leathers. Look better to me than Barkers and Loake (and TGC)

edit:
And it is hard to find wide widths - it’s lots of Internet forum trawling working out which lasts are wide fitting. But Alden do have multiple widths for various lasts. They’re not cheap new though.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan Edmonds they deliver in terms of style, comfort and best time to pick them up is during the Black Friday sales.

Markodevil

Reaction score
Re Oxfords: I ended up making a trip to McClouds and tried a pair of Loakes in a wider fit that seemed to fit pretty nicely. But what is the consensus on their quality? I tried the Aldwych I believe.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Re Oxfords: I ended up making a trip to McClouds and tried a pair of Loakes in a wider fit that seemed to fit pretty nicely. But what is the consensus on their quality? I tried the Aldwych I believe.

Loake 1880 line are decent. I would say “entry level” good year welt quality. My first pair of decent shoes were Loake 1880 and they’re still going strong after 7 years. I wear them every week.

Also never underestimate the value of a pair of shoes that you *know* fit you properly because you’ve tried them on. You can easily waste hundred of dollars on internet purchases that don’t fit right - especially with a wider/harder to fit foot.

edit: quality level probably better than current RMW standards. Other makers that would be similar would be Meermin, (but Loake not as brutal to break in), Barkers top lines, maybe a little below Carlos Santos

Last edited:

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Sydney at the end of this week for the first time in 2 1/2 years. Would love some recommendations for new shops to check out (menswear but also records/books/homewares etc - just anything cool), as well as food.

eightace

Reaction score
I'm in Sydney at the end of this week for the first time in 2 1/2 years. Would love some recommendations for new shops to check out (menswear but also records/books/homewares etc - just anything cool), as well as food.

Macleay St Bistro in Potts Point is my go-to for a special occasion.

I recently went to a place in Barrangaroo called Bea. It was superb. The bar upstairs was not.

As far as cool things go, you'll need to ask someone else ;)

ryanohare

Reaction score

I went to 10 William St in Paddington for dinner last week. It was outstanding.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to 10 William St in Paddington for dinner last week. It was outstanding.

One of my absolute favourites, although I’ve got Paski on my list to try as well. No doubt a controversial statement, but I reckon Sydney does casual Italian better than Melbourne.

Otherwise, is there much of interest in Paddington these days? It seems to go in waves.

Shopping-wise, I’ve got Schneider and Co on my list, as well as Strand Arcade to visit Double Monk, Vintage Watch Co and I want to check out the Fred Perry store for made in England polos (they do them without the coloured tips, which I figure will make one look at least less like a football hooligan).

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my absolute favourites, although I’ve got Paski on my list to try as well. No doubt a controversial statement, but I reckon Sydney does casual Italian better than Melbourne.

Otherwise, is there much of interest in Paddington these days? It seems to go in waves.

Shopping-wise, I’ve got Schneider and Co on my list, as well as Strand Arcade to visit Double Monk, Vintage Watch Co and I want to check out the Fred Perry store for made in England polos (they do them without the coloured tips, which I figure will make one look at least less like a football hooligan).
Is there a SuitSupply in Melbourne? If not, be sure to check out the one here. Great time to get your size passport so you can order and customise online if you decide to in future! If you like authentic Thai food, try Chat Thai at Westfield Sydney.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a SuitSupply in Melbourne? If not, be sure to check out the one here. Great time to get your size passport so you can order and customise online if you decide to in future! If you like authentic Thai food, try Chat Thai at Westfield Sydney.

I used to go to SuSu every time I was in Sydney, as my old office was across the street. But I’ve never actually bought anything, and I have no idea why. Will give it another look.

Good call re Thai food, another one where Sydney blows the rest of the country out of the water. I recall one day in late 2019 where we had a win in the Supreme Court and I ended up at Rockpool with the barrister for lunch. I wasn’t terribly hungry come dinner time but thought I should have something, so I went to Chat in Haymarket for Som Tum Pla and a couple of beers. By far the more enjoyable meal, and for about 1/5th the cost of lunch…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads