• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan.
Today is "clean the fish tank day", so I'm about as far from SF-approved as it's possible to get. Still, I have become so shameless that I will probably head to Myer later without bothering to change. The Mall is full of bogans anyway, so I should fit right in. :)

Mr. Mott

Reaction score
Today is "clean the fish tank day", so I'm about as far from SF-approved as it's possible to get. Still, I have become so shameless that I will probably head to Myer later without bothering to change. The Mall is full of bogans anyway, so I should fit right in. :)

haha just make sure you wear a pair of ugg boots to complete the outfit. Uggs were invested by a surfer, so I think it’s actually on point attire!

Contango

Reaction score
I wondered who still shopped at Myer. Now we know. I would never have picked a StyleForumer to be their remaining customer.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, like many others during the past few months, I've been doing quite a bit of "iso-baking", mainly to encourage my kids to take a larger role in the kitchen.

Last weekend, I made this "dark and dreamy" chocolate cake, based on a recipe from a friend. It is extremely rich and decadent, but tastes amazing. Highly recommended for anyone who likes chocolate cake.

The recipe originally called for half-a-cup of whiskey or bourbon, but I substituted decaffeinated espresso coffee so that my kids could eat the cake.

Ingredients:
  • Half cup (125mL) brewed coffee
  • One-and-a-half cups (330g) caster sugar
  • 400g dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 250g unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon Dutch cocoa
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Grease a deep 22cm (9 inch) round pan; line base and inside with baking paper.
  3. Stir coffee and caster sugar in small saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves.
  4. Process chocolate until finely chopped. Add coffee; process until smooth.
  5. With food processor still going, add butter piece by piece, processing until combined.
  6. Add eggs, one at a time, processing until combined. Pour mixture into pan.
  7. Place pan in large baking dish; pour enough boiling water into dish to come halfway up side of cake pan.
  8. Bake cake for 30 mins or until edge is set; the centre will still be a little soft. Remove pan from dish; cool 10 minutes.
  9. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight until set.
  10. Carefully turn cake out of pan onto cake plate; dust with sifted cocoa. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

A couple of tips:
- I found that it was much better to leave it in the fridge overnight as it was still very soft and "fudgy" when I cut a slice after four hours.
- If using a round springform pan, then cover the bottom and sides of the pan in alfoil before placing in the water bath in the oven.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So. Its come to this. Sharing baking tips on SF.What brave new world we live in.

This is so simple a drunk ferret could could make it.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

250 g salt free butter 250g dark chocolate try something with 70%Coca 150 g grams ground almonds 2/3 of a cup of caser sugar( quick tip buy a couple of vanilla beans and put them in with the sugar leave for a week prior and just keep covering them with sugar) I table spoon of strong black coffee I table spoon of brandy( you could use Cointreau but it will give a different flavour to the cake) Five eggs at room temperature separated and beat whites to stiff peaks.

Butter and flour a 23cm springform cake tin and also cover the base with baking paper.

In a double boiler or heat proof bowl melt and mix chocolate, butter sugar brandy and coffee stir so it mixes in well. Take off heat and allow to cool.

In a large bowl mix almond chocolate mix and egg yolks one at a time. Then add a small amount of egg whites to slacken mixture and then gradually fold mixture. Place in pan and put into a preheated 180c oven for 50 minutes. Cake should be firm to touch let it rest for a few minutes then turn it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics