• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ativan/Lorazepam for public speaking anxiety?

darnelled

Reaction score
If used correctly, Ativan will be fine. It's an anti-anxiety medication that treats exactly what you have (performance anxiety). You need to find the right dose for yourself before the actual event. Too little and you are still nervous, too much and you will appear drunk. I find it intersting how many member are against meds, but have no issue with alcohol (which has the same mechanism of action as Ativan).

Propranol will only reduce the physical symptoms- sweating, rapid heart rate, shakiness. You'll still feel nervous.

If you have enough time, performing in front of others (repeatedly) will be the best long-term fix for your anxiety. It will eventually get you to the point of not needing meds.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest a Quaalude and 125 micrograms of LSD.

thebeatblitz

Reaction score
Using a benzo for public speaking seems like a terrible idea since it's a CNS depressant. Propranolol has an indicated use for temporary anxiety-induced tachycardia and will get rid of the majority of your anxiety-related symptoms. Tachycardia, sweating, tremors, they'll all decrease without the ridiculous side effect profile of benzo use.

The benzo family isn't really a long-term "anxiety" medication. It's primarily used acutely for surgery, panic attacks, as a strong muscle relaxant, and seizures. Psychiatry is only supposed to use it to decrease acute anxiety (usually a month prescription) and follow up with other therapy because it's highly addictive and prone to relapse. If you want to continue habitual use for public speaking, I'd recommend against using a benzo.

The NP prescribed it for you without even knowing how/why it works? That sounds even worse.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ NP knew how and why it works but had never heard of anyone using it for public speaking or performing, she said it was more used for people with pre-existing heart probelms, but agreed it could work for public speaking.... she had no idea on what the dosing should be though.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
so how did the presentation go? did it work for you?

For a smaller presentation I had last Monday I used the 1 mg of ativan because I did not have the prop yet. Seemed to be okay, I def. felt very relaxed, def. didnt have the edge going in, kind had the whatever ******* attitude (which was nice). The larger presentation I had to do last week got pushed back to the first week of dec. for that I am gonna try the prop... planning on taking a dose this week to see how it effects me, prob. 10 mg to start, then 20 mg.

makushin

Reaction score
From my Pharmacology textbook:

"most benzodiazepines are used appropriately, and are abused primarily by individuals with a prior history of drug abuse.... a number of patients who truly need anxiety relief may be denied benzodiazepines because of the bad publicity associated with their use"

I can't tell you how frustrating it is dealing with benzophobe psychiatrists that are only this way because of public perception and popular culture. Quite honestly alcohol has a much stronger effect-- I can't even understand how benzos could really become addictive at the modest dosage most doctors prescribe. If you're taking 3mg of xanax everyday then, yes, but taking 1-2mg for the rare speaking event is not going to produce much of any "high", or an addiction. The people abusing them are taking the 4mg bars. Yes those will **** you up, but generally the only way to obtain that kind of supply is illegally.

So to the OP, I've found xanax to be the most effective for public speaking. I've never tried the beta blockers such as propanol but I've heard good things.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
For a smaller presentation I had last Monday I used the 1 mg of ativan because I did not have the prop yet. Seemed to be okay, I def. felt very relaxed, def. didnt have the edge going in, kind had the whatever ******* attitude (which was nice). The larger presentation I had to do last week got pushed back to the first week of dec. for that I am gonna try the prop... planning on taking a dose this week to see how it effects me, prob. 10 mg to start, then 20 mg.

nice. good luck at your next one.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
People who don't have social/public speaking anxiety do not understand how truly bad it can be. Of course no one likes giving presentations, but some people just get a few jitters and are able to easily brush it off. For them, practice makes perfect. For others, standing in front of a group of people can create a serious fight-or-flight response that can be crippling. For many people, including myself, this feeling never dissipates, even slightly, no matter how many presentations you have completed.

I'm ashamed of it, but this fear has caused me to purposely avoid tons of great jobs that I know I would love.

darbelis12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnelled
If used correctly, ativan will be fine. It's an anti-anxiety medication that treats exactly what you have (performance anxiety). You need to find the right ativan dose for yourself before the actual event. Too little and you are still nervous, too much and you will appear drunk. I find it intersting how many member are against meds, but have no issue with alcohol (which has the same mechanism of action as Ativan). Propranol will only reduce the physical symptoms- sweating, rapid heart rate, shakiness. You'll still feel nervous. If you have enough time, performing in front of others (repeatedly) will be the best long-term fix for your anxiety. It will eventually get you to the point of not needing meds.
I don't recommend Lorazepam. It'll just make you tired. At least that's what it did for me when I tried it.

dmackvan

Reaction score
I felt the need to post after reading all these comments.

Previously I suffered from a fear of public speaking. I wasn't just nervous about it, I was scared. It affected me to a point that only people who really have a phobic fear of performing would understand. I would worry for weeks on end about presentations and it would dramatically affect my life. I went to the doctor and he prescribed lorazepam (for the mental aspect) and propranolol (for the physical symptoms). I can tell you that this combination changed my life. I now can handle public speaking and even sometimes look forward to it. My quality of life has dramatically changed for the better.

People on the forum are very anti-pills and these people clearly have never experienced the level of fear that I have and others have. If you had a bacterial infection, these people wouldn't be telling you not to take an antibiotic - so why are they telling you to not take something that can dramatically improve your quality of life. I've taken the above pills on an as-needed basis (about once every two months) for the last 3.5 years and they've worked great. People who take them for performance anxiety are not at risk for abusing them since they're not taking them daily (or weekly for that matter).

Sorry to ramble on but I just wanted to let someone who is reading this who has the same level of fear as I did that it's A-ok to take something for it. We have an inherent nervousness regarding public speaking, it's not our fault, there's no reason to feel less of ourselves, and we have the right to do something about it just like someone who has high blood pressure has every right to take something to lower it.

Hope this helps someone who's reading this scared about their next presentation. I've been there.

OpenMinded

Reaction score
Disagree on the placebo affect. Unless you have been there and have the level of anxiety this affects your life to the core you cant understand. The benzo/proproal combination is a lifesaver for many when it comes to public speaking, interviews, presentations etc. I use it only in spot treatment which is on rare occasion but it definitely make a difference. NOT a placebo affect as KS mentions.

Chris Glazkov

Reaction score
Take 1mg of ativan 1 hr before you speach. if you feel like you need a little more RIGHT before your speech than you can take another 0.5mg. (1/2 of 1mg) before you go on stage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads