• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athleisure Wear Going Out Of Style?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, he is an investment banker.
here is the definition:
  • An investment banker works for a financial institution and is primarily concerned with raising capital for corporations, governments, or other entities.
Taken from: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/investmentbanker.asp

I am an investment partner with my bank and we capitalize other financial institutions to balance their sheets for audits. They typically only need the loans for 3-5 days at a very, very high daily interest rate.
With only 2 loans per month on the same capital they average 7% to 10% per month or more and I get my share of that.

So, like I said. When I go see my investment banker he wears a freaking suit, just fyi.

Patrick
What suit does he wear? Men's warehouse? I'd drop him if he wears anything less than Orazio.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What suit does he wear? Men's warehouse? I'd drop him if he wears anything less than Orazio.
If it isn’t bespoke I throw hot coffee directly into their face. I’m investing my hard earned money, they need to show me respect. If any other clients in the office aren’t wearing bespoke vicuña, then I throw a Molotov through the window. People need to dress a certain way for me or I will get churlish.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, he is an investment banker.
here is the definition:
  • An investment banker works for a financial institution and is primarily concerned with raising capital for corporations, governments, or other entities.
Taken from: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/investmentbanker.asp

I am an investment partner with my bank and we capitalize other financial institutions to balance their sheets for audits. They typically only need the loans for 3-5 days at a very, very high daily interest rate.
With only 2 loans per month on the same capital they average 7% to 10% per month or more and I get my share of that.

So, like I said. When I go see my investment banker he wears a freaking suit, just fyi.

Patrick

i was mislead by the second sentence of your post and thought you were talking about your investment advisor.

if we are talking about capital markets it’s a different story although please never ever again use that horrible investopedia definition in which is only partially correct.

Enfusia

Reaction score
i was mislead by the second sentence of your post and thought you were talking about your investment advisor.

if we are talking about capital markets it’s a different story although please never ever again use that horrible investopedia definition in which is only partially correct.
It's all good.
After re-reading it you would be correct in your assumption. So, that was actually my bad.
I used investopedia because it came up #1 and I didn't feel like digging any further. But, yeah, their definition should be re-done.

Enfusia

Reaction score
If it isn’t bespoke I throw hot coffee directly into their face. I’m investing my hard earned money, they need to show me respect. If any other clients in the office aren’t wearing bespoke vicuña, then I throw a Molotov through the window. People need to dress a certain way for me or I will get churlish.
I don't know who the makers of his suits are. I never asked. They fit him well, have a decent amount of hand work and appear to be of higher end fabrics.

I've never actually asked him.

Please be sure to read my original post on the matter. He prefers to wear a suit and wishes the dress codes were the old way they were in his company.

But thank you for the humor.

The_Shooter

Reaction score
Great posts gang

back on topic a bit…
But I think one of the reasons why athleisure wear is really become a joke lately is because older men look so bad in tracksuits. Ever see a non-athlete over 45 in a tracksuit that looks good? Exactly. Doesn’t exist.

at some point people want to look good again. And while athleisure wear might be comfortable in some people’s eyes, it just looks so bad.

F0D43AC3-4C9E-4EEC-B846-B380DF867181.jpeg

Mirage-

Reaction score

Enfusia

Reaction score
I've said this before but I probably will never "get" these kinds of looks. Probably because they really are a streetwear aesthetic which uses some tailoring on top, not an actual mix of aesthetics.
Yeah, I'm not ever going to be seen wearing any of that except maybe the 1st overcoat in combo with other similar level items.

I mean, the 3rd one looks like Adam Sandler can't fit into his clothes because he's prepping for a role as Santa Clause.

Just not my style.

_Nicolas_

Reaction score
But I think one of the reasons why athleisure wear is really become a joke lately is because older men look so bad in tracksuits. Ever see a non-athlete over 45 in a tracksuit that looks good? Exactly. Doesn’t exist.

It has primarily become a joke because of its ubiquity and the fact that so many are doing it with poor quality clothing and fit, and doing it thoughtlessly, less to do with age IMO. I suspect the older guys you're thinking of are the type that are just wearing that stuff for comfort and don't give a toss about style anyway, so they're not worth considering really. But I've seen guys up to around 60 that still look great in it. Plain trainers seem to be one of the key elements to getting it right, generally wear any athleisure stuff that's too unusual, graphic or loud after a certain age and you look like an old guy trying to dress young unless actually exercising in it.

With the sort of tracksuit you posted, IMO it looks so awful because even if it fit well, it would look like he's trying to hold onto or recapture his youth, or just clueless about current trends which is kinda worse as there's zero effort involved on any level, but it could look fantastic on a guy in shape in his twenties going for a retro vibe.

The_Shooter

Reaction score
I've said this before but I probably will never "get" these kinds of looks. Probably because they really are a streetwear aesthetic which uses some tailoring on top, not an actual mix of aesthetics.

yeah

the kid looks ok. He’s fit and it doesn’t look “bad.” Doesn’t look good, but it’s not terrible.

this one is comical. I could search the internet for a funny athleisure wear photo and have trouble finding one funnier

F67F706F-75A1-4556-AEF7-9A966EC25838.jpeg

and look, for running an errand on a Sunday, whatever. Don’t have to iron a shirt to go to Duane read for some mouthwash. But in terms of how it looks, it’s pretty funny.

but I guess in terms “get,” well I do get it. I do this occasionally. But it’s at a time when I don’t care how I look, when I am trying to accomplish a goal of running a quick errand that likely does not involve a subway or more than a 2 block walk. And I know it looks bad. I know it’s lazy. I know it’s sloppy. I’m not proud of it. But I do it out of convenience

Last edited:

The_Shooter

Reaction score
It has primarily become a joke because of its ubiquity and the fact that so many are doing it with poor quality clothing and fit, and doing it thoughtlessly, less to do with age IMO. I suspect the older guys you're thinking of are the type that are just wearing that stuff for comfort and don't give a toss about style anyway, so they're not worth considering really. But I've seen guys up to around 60 that still look great in it. Plain trainers seem to be one of the key elements to getting it right, generally wear any athleisure stuff that's too unusual, graphic or loud after a certain age and you look like an old guy trying to dress young unless actually exercising in it.

With the sort of tracksuit you posted, IMO it looks so awful because even if it fit well, it would look like he's trying to hold onto or recapture his youth, or just clueless about current trends which is kinda worse as there's zero effort involved on any level, but it could look fantastic on a guy in shape in his twenties going for a retro vibe.

quality points.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great posts gang

back on topic a bit…

at some point people want to look good again. And while athleisure wear might be comfortable in some people’s eyes, it just looks so bad.

View attachment 1826488
Tony Soprano?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like mixing athleisure wear with tailored wear to run an early morning errand or grab an espresso on the weekend.

View attachment 1826531
View attachment 1826527
View attachment 1826529

The last guy looks like Adam Sandler in need of a hair cut and getting back on thorazine.

I think the only thing worse than grey sweatpants + sweatshirt is trying to match that with tailored over coats. Like, why? At least the dog walker looks natural. A bum, but natural.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads