• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Dean Keaton

Reaction score
Anybody could ID those for me please? Harvey Keitel wore them in Sorrentino's 'Youth' (great film btw)

I've been dying to find any info on those online, but no success. They seem pretty basic, but for me they are a perfect shape - classic aviator without being "fashion".

Chanklebury

Reaction score
Any opinion or caution over current Dunhill stuff?

I noticed a few models on sale at Malford of London, some of them sold out now I've procrastinated too long, but there's a couple left supposedly 'made in Japan' which have my eye.

Thanks.

nightic

Reaction score

I just placed an order for a pair of Lindbergs at an authorized bricks & mortar Lindberg dealer, but I was told that I had to pay $30 for international shipping. Is this a common practice to charge the shipping fee to the consumer? I assume that it was the dealer's cost of doing business.

Did you get any customization done on your Lindbergs? I was told that I could engrave my name on the frame if I wanted and adjust the size of the nosepads.

Lindberg dealers usually offer the engraving for free.
The nose-pad choice is also not something that there would typically be an extra charge for (the dealer will often have a bunch of Lindberg consumables available).
The delivery cost has never been brought up with any European dealers I've used and it would usually be factored in to the frame price from the start.

Last edited:

nightic

Reaction score

Any opinion or caution over current Dunhill stuff?

I noticed a few models on sale at Malford of London, some of them sold out now I've procrastinated too long, but there's a couple left supposedly 'made in Japan' which have my eye. 

Thanks.

Quality is commensurate with the price that Malford's is selling at but don't be fooled by Dunhill's MSRP - they are not a top tier product by some distance, despite where they're manufactured.
For reference, spring-hinges are these days more often a sign of lower quality frames, unless featured on ones with temples made from hard-to-adjust materials (natural Horn or Wood etc.)

Last edited:

plot

Reaction score
How is Lunor's reputation? I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of A5 215s; they look gorgeous in person, but I'm wondering what SF thinks about them.

62945_990x577.jpg

Chanklebury

Reaction score
Quality is commensurate with the price that Malford's is selling at but don't be fooled by Dunhill's MSRP - they are not a top tier product by some distance, despite where they're manufactured.
For reference, spring-hinges are these days more often a sign of lower quality frames, unless featured on ones with temples made from hard-to-adjust materials (natural Horn or Wood etc.)

@nightic - thank you for your reply - apologies for having seen it as late as this.

Your spot on though, it was purely the Made in Japan tag that caught my interest and so I just made an assumption (perhaps also based on the supposed original retail price!?) that these might be pretty respectable, perhaps from one of the principle Japanese brands... I'll skip them. Cheers.

PattyC

Reaction score
what are my options if I wanted to replace a pair of Safilo made lenses in my YSL sunglasses? I'm pretty sure this model is discontinued, plus their website says that they will flat out ignore messages regarding repairs/space parts.

I'd like to get something as close as possible to the original quality and tint. Should I just take them to an optometrist?

WestLinn

Reaction score
Probably my favorite thread on here. I have worn glasses for over 40 years. I wore mostly contacts, but always wanted glasses that looked stylish when my dry eyes couldn't support glasses. However, about two years ago, I got the best news a 40 year glasses wearing person can get: your cataracts need to be removed. So, that colony of "whatever" that was accumulating in the middle of my vision on my one eye could be removed (it pays to go to a great eye doctor at a teaching hospital, OHSU) and two surgeries over, I can see 20/20 out of my left, 20/30 out of my previously detached retina right without correction. So I now love threads about glasses. They are awesome because I don't need to wear them. No more -10 lenses. No more being blind at night without my glasses. I think I will buy a pair of stylish frames with no correction lenses just for old times sake. LOL.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just sent my Moscot Lemtosh back to Moscot for relens and hopefully they can reshape my frame after I stepped on them lol

nicedickbro

Reaction score
I have a question.

I typically buy my frames from Old Focals in Pasadena. Unfortunately I left CA, so I want to find a "retro" (new) brand that I can reliably buy online.

Here is the trend I'm noticing with new brands (Warby Parker, LA Eyewear, Moscot...): They don't seem to have many sizes. The vintage Tart Opticals and Styl-Rites I used to buy came in 38-20 all the way to 48-26, with any temple length you wanted as well.

New glasses seem to come in one size: TOO BIG. Seriously, they are all 46mm+. There should be 10+ sizes for any given frame shape.

I can usually tell if someone is wearing vintage or new, because the new ones are always too big for their face. They look like movie props. These brands use John Lennon or James Dean in advertising- but don't produce the sizes those two wore.

I tend to wear 42-22 or smaller, depending on brand.

Are there any brands offering a wide variety of sizes in a Tart Arnel style? Or anyone bucking the trend and undersizing their frames?

Pic of Dieter Rams included only because he absolutely nailed the face/glasses size ratio.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads