• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

NormanF

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can find a pair of sunglasses with a similar shape to this? RB Wayfarers are close but not quite there

Rayban Clubmasters? If you like cheap sunglasses, you wouldn't be out much if they break or the lens falls out and gets lost.

Last edited:

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Okay, I thought I'd post here to get an opinion. For reference, I'm 26, I work in IT for a trendy company. (Sorry for terrible mirror pics)

Stick with contacts:
http://i.imgur.com/k4lbaFC.jpg

Warby Parker Preston - Just got these and not sold on them. Frame quality seems pretty low and the lenses aren't great either:
http://i.imgur.com/rfgsh5i.jpg

Shuron Sidewinders - These are 4 years old, I haven't worn them in a few years. I just tried them on again to compare, I think they look pretty good and I love the quality:
http://i.imgur.com/q8FEkg9.jpg

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are peoples opinions on HAN or Illsteva? Ive had illsteva sunglasses for over a year that I havent been wearing as much since i picked up moscots, but i still like them.

ClassAct

Reaction score
Hello, there are some great recommendations on here for brands in the US but they are quite hard to find abroad. Any good value for money brands here in the UK, looking for spectacles that are trendy yet durable.

For example I've found Larke Optics but out of my price range unfortunately (£275):

http://larkeoptics.com/

I like the look of Tom Ford glasses however I'm pretty sure these are just generic made in Chine frames branded to sell at extortionate prices.

Any advice please.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom ford is made by luxottica although it's still sold at extortionist prices

Last edited:

XFactor

Reaction score
I do not have a need for "eye correction" as I have 20/20.

I need the following two things:

1)
Spectacles / Eye Glasses that look like prescription but with Zero Power - Bonus: Anti Glare for Computer usage
Goal: A frame design that makes me look more mature and older for INTERVIEWS and EARLY INTERACTIONS with Clients & New Teams.
Issue: (I look way young for my age and have a baby face)

- What kind of frame designs/ construction would suit this purpose? (Links & Pictures welcome) - Conservative & Mature is better.
- Any particular kind of Zero Power lens/ you might recommend?

2)
Photo-chromatic Sunglasses (+Polarized?) for daily wear and weekend hanging out. The "Go To" daily pair (Maybe buy 1 and then a second).
Goal: Air, wind and dust protection and clarity while driving or walking around

- Please suggest brands and models?
- My homework on this points to few that I found affordable and decently well built -
e.g.
- Ryders - Around 89/ 99 $ - Photochromatic and Polarized for Glare protection.
- Found a few brands that support Photochromatic and Polarized on REI.com - Should I list them so you can rate/ review them?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not have a need for "eye correction" as I have 20/20. 

I need the following two things: 

1)
Spectacles / Eye Glasses that look like prescription but with Zero Power - Bonus: Anti Glare for Computer usage
Goal: A frame design that makes me look more mature and older for INTERVIEWS and EARLY INTERACTIONS with Clients & New Teams.
Issue: (I look way young for my age and have a baby face)

- What kind of frame designs/ construction would suit this purpose? (Links & Pictures welcome) - Conservative & Mature is better. 
- Any particular kind of Zero Power lens/ you might recommend? 

2)
Photo-chromatic Sunglasses (+Polarized?) for daily wear and weekend hanging out. The "Go To" daily pair (Maybe buy 1 and then a second). 
Goal: Air, wind and dust protection and clarity while driving or walking around 

- Please suggest brands and models? 
- My homework on this points to few that I found affordable and decently well built - 
e.g.
- Ryders - Around 89/ 99 $ - Photochromatic and Polarized for Glare protection. 
- Found a few brands that support Photochromatic and Polarized on REI.com - Should I list them so you can rate/ review them? 

Thanks in advance. 

In terms of frames, there are tons of options so my advice would be to go to a brick and mortar store and try some on. Nobody can tell you what brand or style to try because everyone's face shapes are different.

As for plano lenses, do NOT get cheap ones. It will probably cause more discomfort than not wearing them. Not all lenses are created equally. If you're using it for extended computer use, look into the Zeiss Purecoat and the Nikon Seecoat Blue. Both reduce blue light to create more contrast and in turn make them more comfortable

For polarized/photochromatic lenses, again they are not created equally. Some have better clarity, more scratch resistance and better overall. if you want true bang for the buck for polarized lenses, try Polaroid Sunglasses. Launched by Safilo and great lenses for what you pay. They retail for under $120. Most "active lifestyle" brands have terrible quality lenses. Usually very thin, flimsy, distorted vision and soft. 1 good pair is better than several poor quality pairs.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RANT: REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT BUY FROM CLEARLY CONTACTS

1. Their lens quality is terrible. The optics are horrendous, the coatings are too soft, and the lenses craze too easily. You are overpaying for their lenses, period.
2. They are NOT CHEAP. For how much you are paying, they are ripping you off. $49 frame with lenses in a 1.61 index with AR and shipping, you pay $130 out the door. You can certainly find a MUCH BETTER product at a B&M and get a selection to try on, as well, you get service and after service.
3. Most of their brand names are NOT BRAND NAMES. They are all house brands. They are not "exclusive" if they are house brands. They mislead people to think that they are really brands.
4. The quality of their frames are sub par. The frames are not serviceable because they are house brands and I'm pretty sure that they will not replace a screw, temple or front for you. I have seen frames where the right and left eye were not exactly the same size. Usually, both lens can be cut exactly the same from one another for a perfect fit, but I've seen some that were nowhere near the same.
5. They cannot adjust them for you. You will have to take your frames to a B&M to get them adjusted. When you factor in all the previous points, there is really no reason to buy from them.

I generally say that you get what you pay for, but I have just seen way too many disappointing products from them. They promote, a "first pair free", but think about it, you think they are really give it to you for free?

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have seen my pair share of this industry.

I make NO implications that I know all, this is just simply my opinion. Agree with me or disagree with me, that is your choice.

PS, their contacts aren't cheap either. After paying for the lenses, shipping and handling, and waiting for the lenses to arrive, you will pay slightly more than a regular B&M. Independent B&M generally get manufacture rebates from the companies. And those are normally not provided by chains and internet sales.

Last edited:

Tigerprawn

Reaction score
Carolinaman posted about his horn frames from Penn Avenue awhile back and I decided to give it a shot after losing my glasses on vacation (very old, it was time anyway). The experience of the Home Try On and the actual processing of my order was pretty much perfect. Constant communication (from the same person), they went out of their way to make sure I got what was best for me whether that be going with Penn Avenue or my personal optician. So the shopping experience was a pleasure...

The frames? TBH I don't know much about frames let alone buffalo horn frames, but I do enjoy the frame shape on my face and love the look of the buffalo horn once I got them in person. The feel of the material over what I wore in the past (acetate / metal) is pretty awesome. The hinges felt very durable and had a good spring to them. They're currently getting lenses now so I'll report back with Penn's lens quality.

klonowj

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of fake Barton Perreira eyeglasses?

I've been looking at a seller on eBay.... Would anyone be able to confirm whether this seller is legit or not? Would help me out if I got some opinions, Ive been holding back on a couple pairs of BP I really want.

http://myworld.ebay.com/eurofshn4all

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads