• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say you'll be in by Christmas and project manage yourself.

Screenshot_20220606-173707_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220606-173725_Instagram.jpg

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Can anyone ID these frames? Assumed Moscot Momza but it looks like the side inlays are a little different.

View attachment 1801794

That's not the Moscot Momza. The Moscot Momza is more squarish and the arms are thicker, and there are 3 "dots" on the arms...

I own a Moscot Momza frame in grey and it's fantastic! When I bought it the Moscot Momza frame was not produced in black, only in "matte black":

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I would like to ask the eyewear experts of the forum which are the colours to produce for an acetate frame, and also whether is worth it paying for pricey glasses in a transparent acetate frame.

Is a transparent acetate frame hard to produce? I mean.. how would it be harder than producing a frame in Havana tones? So why are frames in different tones often priced the same?

emptym

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about TR90 plastic as a frames material? I'm in the Philippines and just ordered some glasses made of that, but had never heard of it. They're so flexible and lightweight that they seemed flimsy to me, but the store assured me that they're more durable than metal frames. It doesn't seem to be used much in the US.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about TR90 plastic as a frames material? I'm in the Philippines and just ordered some glasses made of that, but had never heard of it. They're so flexible and lightweight that they seemed flimsy to me, but the store assured me that they're more durable than metal frames. It doesn't seem to be used much in the US.
Quick google shows them all over the net…

ramsker

Reaction score
I would like to ask the eyewear experts of the forum which are the colours to produce for an acetate frame, and also whether is worth it paying for pricey glasses in a transparent acetate frame.

Is a transparent acetate frame hard to produce? I mean.. how would it be harder than producing a frame in Havana tones? So why are frames in different tones often priced the same?

Fully transparent acetate frames are harder to produce because they show any and all imperfections.

StylishDanny

Reaction score
I ask your help to evaluate if keeping my lenses shape or changing it. It's easy for me to modify their shape because I wear rimless silhouette eyewear. I drew this shape myself a couple of years ago and I could do the same work now as well.
I took these photos last year from different sides, now I'm just a bit more bald :)

- Front

- Left

- Right

I'm evaluating other shapes like these:
- more rectangular

- oval and bigger in height

- classic teardrop shaped lens aviator style (just a bit smaller for my face).
... the problem is I can't go to optical shops and shoot photos to show you here :)
A last request: what do you think of colored lens for my case? My skin is very pale and maybe a bit of color could help my aesthetics :)

Last edited by a moderator:

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always went with Nikon high index lense since I have a rather high RX - 600.

I need progressivel lenses. I have 2 Dita frames I need lenses for. Anybody know how much I should be paying for lenses? I don't wanna be taken for a ride. I use my glasses everyday so not sure if i should pay the preium for the brand lenses for progressive.

Much thanks as always SF

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I'm evaluating other shapes like these:
- more rectangular

- oval and bigger in height

I think those two look well on most people.

These ones are aviator-shaped Silhouettes and seem bigger:

1658158985877.png

It's the Silhouette SI 5541 6760

I wanted to ask you about your experience with Silhouette; do lenses crack or break, do the arms of the glasses break? I ask because I was considering Silhouette, but discarded the idea after reading tons of bad reviews on the Internet about the fragility of the materials, lenses, arms etc...

I read the reviews here:

StylishDanny

Reaction score
Consider that I've got only 2 pairs of Silhouette frames, both rimless: one pair of sunglasses and this pair of eyeglasses.

I bought the sunglasses back in "the matrix" movie time and you can read a bit of that experience here in this thread. As you can see I bring to you another bad experience with silhouette titanium rimless hingless frame because they were too fragile for my personal usage. At that time I talked with some opticians about how they were fragile and their answered it was due to the "previous" titanium and they ensured me the "new" silhouette titanium'd has been much better but... come on, they're merchants and they've to sell their stuff :) Just a last thought about that: Lindberg rimless frames are the best ones made with titanium here in EU in my opinion, do they manufacture hingless frames? No.

I bought my silhouette eyeglasses I wear now back in 2015, the model is Harmony, they're rimless but they've got hinges. I chose this model though I liked "titan x" model more because harmony frame's hinges gave me an impression of more sturdiness. I use them every day but only at home, I do not fold them and I can ensure they're like the 1st day of usage (inner stamps too).

I now these 2 experiences are quite different but I hope they'll help you somehow.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Consider that I've got only 2 pairs of Silhouette frames, both rimless: one pair of sunglasses and this pair of eyeglasses.

I bought the sunglasses back in "the matrix" movie time and you can read a bit of that experience here in this thread. As you can see I bring to you another bad experience with silhouette titanium rimless hingless frame because they were too fragile for my personal usage. At that time I talked with some opticians about how they were fragile and their answered it was due to the "previous" titanium and they ensured me the "new" silhouette titanium'd has been much better but... come on, they're merchants and they've to sell their stuff :) Just a last thought about that: Lindberg rimless frames are the best ones made with titanium here in EU in my opinion, do they manufacture hingless frames? No.

I bought my silhouette eyeglasses I wear now back in 2015, the model is Harmony, they're rimless but they've got hinges. I chose this model though I liked "titan x" model more because harmony frame's hinges gave me an impression of more sturdiness. I use them every day but only at home, I do not fold them and I can ensure they're like the 1st day of usage (inner stamps too).

I now these 2 experiences are quite different but I hope they'll help you somehow.

Very informative! Thank you so much! It's great to have another perspective, a first hand perspective.

Due to my prescription I think rimless frames are not the best option for me, although I like the look very much.

Lindberg frames are very nice too. For some of them it is really expensive to fit the lenses though. The optician told me they need "double spheric" lenses and this meant spending like 400 euros for a pair of lenses that should cost like 100 - 150 euros maximum (for nice lenses).

StylishDanny

Reaction score
The optician told me they need "double spheric" lenses
Mmhh... maybe double aspheric lenses? They're useful for strong prescriptions afaik; is this your case? I'm not an optician but I think you don't need it to get a thinner lens, you could go for higher index spheric lenses and do not forget: the rounder is the lens' shape the thinner it will be. Consider those 2 factors and *maybe* you'll get lenses thin and cheap enough to save enough money to buy the silhouette or lindberg rimless frame you like most :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads