• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So jeans and a flannel shirt with for example a tweed sport coat is something that is never ok, even with a good combination of colours?

I am not talking for the office here.

I wouldn't say "never" but I think there are better choices of fabric than cotton flannel to pair with a sportcoat. You'd be better off with graph or gingham checks in a less fuzzy fabric (e.g. twill, oxford) if you want to pair up with a sportcoat.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get someone's opinion on this.

A brand called Sarar near me is holding a Christmas sale on their suits/sport coats. Their main lines are fused but their top line comes ether half or full canvassed.

I was wondering if getting something from their top line would be worth it or if I should just save my money for something else?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

So I got this black leather bike jacket http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/220081

I have a bike but barely ride it, so just like it for casual wear - took the armour out and it's pretty nice.

I didn't like the shiny appearance and how it was too 'clean', so I wanted to weather it a bit.

Long story short I hung it in the shower a couple times and then used some isopropyl alcohol on a microfibre cloth and gave it a light brushing allover, a bit heaver on the edges etc for more worn-look there.

Alright, so that was a couple months ago now, and I'm happy with the outcome, however I'm noticing recently each day that the areas I worn down with the iso alch are getting even browner and the black is fading even more in those areas - how badly did I ******* up? is it going to keep on degrading like that now, is there anything I can do to save it / stop any more premature aging happening? I've only got some mink oil, sno seal and lexol on hand - will the lexol do anything if I covered it in that for a day or something?

Thanks in advance. Can post pics if anyone wants to see.

The alcohol would do two things- it would break down the finish, and it would remove oils from the leather. You're happy removing some finish for a worn look, but when you strip oils out of leather, that shortens its life. Lexol and mink oil will replace those oils, you should use one of those. It won't restore the finish- if you want to get some of that black back, you'll need a product with dye in it. Either straight leather dye, or polish. Any polish will contain dye (except neutral), cleaner, conditioning oil, and wax to protect. Different types of polish have different proportions, but they'll all have those elements.

Just hit the thing with lexol. It's designed so that it gets oils into the leather without having any major effect on color or finish. Then you can figure out what you want to do aesthetically- you could use something like sno-seal to seal in the finish that's there, or you could hit it with a dye or polish to try and get it blacker.

welcomerain

Reaction score
Hi all,

Living in London and working in the finance industry. Looking for a nice pair of standard black lace up shoes around the £300 mark.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

Living in London and working in the finance industry. Looking for a nice pair of standard black lace up shoes around the £300 mark.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Plenty of choices at that point, and the sales are coming up. I do like J Fitzpatrick as mentioned by @Murlsquirl, but it may be easier to get something you can try on in person.

Top pick would be Crockett & Jones for around £300 (maybe more like £250 in the January sale) but if you walk down Jermyn Street you'll also have the chance to look at / try Alfred Sargent and Cheaney (whose upper lines are around your budget) as well as the shoes they make for other retailers on the street including Foster & Sons or New & Lingwood.

Other options nearby include Trickers and also Cleverley in the Royal Arcade (who have a line made by Crockett & Jones, as well as one by Alfred Sargent).

So that'll take an hour or two, give you exposure to plenty of styles and lasts to maximise the chance you find something that works for you.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Plenty of choices at that point, and the sales are coming up. I do like J Fitzpatrick as mentioned by @Murlsquirl, but it may be easier to get something you can try on in person.

Top pick would be Crockett & Jones for around £300 (maybe more like £250 in the January sale) but if you walk down Jermyn Street you'll also have the chance to look at / try Alfred Sargent and Cheaney (whose upper lines are around your budget) as well as the shoes they make for other retailers on the street including Foster & Sons or New & Lingwood.

Other options nearby include Trickers and also Cleverley in the Royal Arcade (who have a line made by Crockett & Jones, as well as one by Alfred Sargent).

So that'll take an hour or two, give you exposure to plenty of styles and lasts to maximise the chance you find something that works for you.

Justin has a showroom in London where he can try them on....all the other reccomendations you gave are great options too.

Suetonius

Reaction score
Hey guys

Which brands should I be looking at for suits around the £200 mark?

I'm starting a job in finance in Edinburgh, and need to be able to try it on before I buy it obviously.

Some ideas I had were M&S, Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, and whatever I can find in department stores like Debenhams and John Lewis.

Cheers

iloveshirts

Reaction score
Hey guys what do you think to the fit of this suit. I just wore it to an interview and actually got complimented on it. I was about to purchase short length but the sales girl at the shop said regular length will look better on me. Do you agree?

iloveshirts

Reaction score

Hey guys

Which brands should I be looking at for suits around the £200 mark?

I'm starting a job in finance in Edinburgh, and need to be able to try it on before I buy it obviously. 

Some ideas I had were M&S, Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, and whatever I can find in department stores like Debenhams and John Lewis.

Cheers

Slaters is good. They do free alterations also!

cakv

Reaction score
Do you know when Allen Edmonds has its $1 laces sale? Nordstrom's laces blow. They broke on me.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys what do you think to the fit of this suit. I just wore it to an interview and actually got complimented on it. I was about to purchase short length but the sales girl at the shop said regular length will look better on me. Do you agree?

It's too hard to determine from your picture. You need closer shots and your jacket should be buttoned and arms at your side. Would be good to have profile and back shots also.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just wore it to an interview and actually got complimented on it.

Probably irrelevant, but it strikes me as a little odd that an interviewer would comment on your clothes.

Maybe I'm old school, but I tend to believe that the objective of being appropriately dressed for an interview is to have the interviewer scarcely notice what I'm wearing. He'll remember me, sure, but not my suit.

Just sayin', is all.

I do know that when I've conducted interviews, I've never commented upon the candidates' clothing. Sort of how I'd never comment on their make-up, facial hair, how they smell, etc.

I suppose the norms may differ in other places, or with other interviewers, or maybe even in other professional fields. Just the same, it seems to me that commenting on a job applicant's appearance, to the applicant, has little upside for the interviewer, and potentially some serious downside. Plus, it's just sort of unprofessional, you know?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To add, your lapels are very narrow. You need a much thinner tie than the one you're wearing with that suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads