• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to explain to him.

Don't. Just leave him be.

You're not going to change his tastes or his perception of style or quality. And he's happy the way he is now. Even though you won't succeed in "educating" him, you just might manage to rob him of some happiness. And that's cruel.

If ever he comes to you and asks for your opinion, fine, share your opinion with him. Otherwise, focus on his other admirable qualities, and ignore his cluelessness in this one area. He'll be happier and your friendship will be better.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't. Just leave him be.

You're not going to change his tastes or his perception of style or quality. And he's happy the way he is now. Even though you won't succeed in "educating" him, you just might manage to rob him of some happiness. And that's cruel.

If ever he comes to you and asks for your opinion, fine, share your opinion with him. Otherwise, focus on his other admirable qualities, and ignore his cluelessness in this one area. He'll be happier and your friendship will be better.

Okay good advice actually.

Just for my own knowledge how are brands such as Carmina etc. superior to Jimmy Choo and Louboutin?

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay my friend bought Louboutin shoes and is bragging about them. I know that SF approved shoes are superior quality but how exactly? I would like to explain to him. He's the typical person that thinks dressing well means Burberry, LV, Versace etc.

Everyone has a friend like this. Sadly their purchases are only encouraged by positive reinforcement since those are the items that garner more attention by the public.

justonemore

Reaction score

Okay good advice actually.

Just for my own knowledge how are brands such as Carmina etc. superior to Jimmy Choo and Louboutin?

I'm not familiar with the brands you mentioned but....

leather quality is often an issue...full grain or corrected grain?

How are the soles attached? Goodyear? Blake? Glued?

How much handwork went into the shoe? How long did it take to make? Who made it? Craftsmen or off the street assembly line workers?

And that being said...often times it's not that it's inferior quality versus exorbitant price for the quality...I.E...Louis Vuitton wants $1'800 for a bag...it's a nice bag..someone took the time and designed it well, it is well constructed, the materials are well made...but...you're laying an awful lot of extra cash out for those Ls & Vs when a bag of equal quality would run you much less.

Last edited:

Suntory

Reaction score
Is a 2.5 button suit configuration acceptable at conservative business dress?

azumi

Reaction score
I plan to order a new sharkskin gray suit with Neapolitan cut (spalla camicia, 3 roll 2 buttons, barchetta etc) but I am wondering between two hip flap pockets and a ticket pocket or two patch pockets.

Can you give me some advices?

Thanks.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to order a new sharkskin gray suit with Neapolitan cut (spalla camicia, 3 roll 2 buttons, barchetta etc) but I am wondering between two hip flap pockets and a ticket pocket or two patch pockets.

Can you give me some advices?

Thanks.

What does your tailor say?

I haven't seen much Neapolitan stuff with ticket pockets, but that might just be a lapse in my knowledge. I'd be curious to see it.

I have seen worsted Neapolitan suits with two patch pockets, but it rubs me the wrong way.

I think a jetted pocket (well, a tucked-in flap pocket) would be the best bet.

@Suntory

In general, probably.

Suetonius

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new role!

At that price, it will be more about what suit fits you best than focussing too much on outright quality. Spending too much on alterations / trying to make a suit into something it's not will quickly burn through your budget.

That said, M&S remains good quality for the money assuming the styling of one or more of their lines works for you. I've been more impressed with Tyrwhitt than Lewin for suits but this was based on examination a few years ago so go with your gut instinct.

I would avoid department stores - generally another layer of profit margins on top of the retailer-manufacturers above.

One thing to consider is going to Harvey Nichols and trying on a few higher-priced suits to get an idea of what works well for you, which may help focus your search within your budget. It is also worth saying - stick with something fairly plain like a navy or charcoal worsted before you branch out. You don't want your one suit to be something everyone remembers so it's obvious you only have the one.

Thanks for your advice!

I've ordered a couple of Tyrwhitt suits on the sale to try/compare which I'll return if I don't like the fit of.

When you say M&S is good quality for the money, do you mean their slightly pricier suits or the cheaper stuff too? Right now I've just got one of their cheap (~£100) super-slim suits, which fits really nicely. Problem is, they don't seem to do pure wool suits in the same cut.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you say M&S is good quality for the money, do you mean their slightly pricier suits or the cheaper stuff too? Right now I've just got one of their cheap (~£100) super-slim suits, which fits really nicely. Problem is, they don't seem to do pure wool suits in the same cut.

If you're after super-slim, our styling preferences may vary so the advice may not carry. I've tended to find the upper-end ranges such as the Savile Row Inspired are decent enough.

If you do prefer the slimmer cut, SuitSupply are decent if a little above your budget (I think they start from £300). Worth checking out if you ever end up in London on business or leisure (since that's the only place they have UK stores).

pnin22

Reaction score
Someone polished these light-color AE Fifth Aves with black polish, and now they're up on the Bay for pretty cheap. Should I buy and try to strip them?

MooMooBoo

Reaction score
Hmm. I try and not join forums because I become addicted to them, but here goes.

I'll be applying for corporate jobs so I need a good interview suit. I just want one for the interview right now. Should I go to Brooks Brothers? Mens Warehouse? Or should I get one tailor made?

If tailor made, can anyone recommend any good ones in Louisville Kentucky and an approximate price?

I also need to know where I can get good shoes, I have wide feet so certain shoes dont fit me.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I try and not join forums because I become addicted to them, but here goes.

I'll be applying for corporate jobs so I need a good interview suit. I just want one for the interview right now. Should I go to Brooks Brothers? Mens Warehouse? Or should I get one tailor made?

If tailor made, can anyone recommend any good ones in Louisville Kentucky and an approximate price?

I also need to know where I can get good shoes, I have wide feet so certain shoes dont fit me.

Price range for suit and shoes is essential to getting a good answer.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone polished these light-color AE Fifth Aves with black polish, and now they're up on the Bay for pretty cheap. Should I buy and try to strip them?
I kinda like them just how they are.

Slh

Reaction score
Hi
I bought this jacket. I would like to know what you think.
Is the button stance too high? I might look for a lower button stance in the next jacket.
Please don't consider the outfit, but just the jacket. Also keep in mind the photo was shot from a lower angle so the jacket can look shorter than it is, the gorge can look higher and the button stance higher. Thank you:)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members