• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Hammi

Reaction score
With a $600 dress shoe budget and absolutely no dress shoes to start with, would you
A. Get one brown AE shoe and one black shoe from say, DSW
B. Get a brown, black, walnut, and burgundy shoe from again, DSW
C. Get one brown AE shoe, put 2nd black AE shoe on credit card
D. Something else?

I would think getting high quality shoes slowly would be better than getting many "decent" shoes, but I also know wearing the same shoe too frequently isn't good. What do you think?

Spurious

Reaction score
Have a look at AE seconds, I think they are below the $250 mark.
Otherwise have a look at the marketplace.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With a $600 dress shoe budget and absolutely no dress shoes to start with, would you
D. Something else?

I would think getting high quality shoes slowly would be better than getting many "decent" shoes, but I also know wearing the same shoe too frequently isn't good. What do you think?

Personally I love my AE Clifton captoes, which retail for just under $300. I'd buy those and then shop for the other pair from Meermin, Loake, Brooks Brothers, etc.

Hammi

Reaction score
Have a look at AE seconds, I think they are below the $250 mark.
Otherwise have a look at the marketplace.

Personally I love my AE Clifton captoes, which retail for just under $300. I'd buy those and then shop for the other pair from Meermin, Loake, Brooks Brothers, etc.
Two great answers. Cliftons look great, gonna check the stores you mentioned too. I didn't even know we had a market place here.

Spurious

Reaction score
Also, the Cliftons are Derbies/Bluchers, so depending on what you are looking for, they might be too casual.

Spurious

Reaction score
For suits and rather conservative working environments.

Here is a good start to see which shoes fit which environment:

Last edited:

MrYS

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here. I'm 21 year old, just graduated university recently. I am currently looking for jobs and I am looking to invest in a couple of well fitting suits. I was wondering which tailor would be a good place to start for some MTM or bespoke suit in London, I know Saville Row is famous for bespoke men's wear, any recommendation?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

D. Something else?

If you are considering AE, there is no risk trying seconds. If you find a flaw unacceptable, just return them.

Since you are interested in a black shoe, AE's cap toe oxford (ParkvAvenue) is almost always one of the featured shoes during the annual Nordstrum's anniversary sales (starting in about 5-6 weeks. These will be first quality shoes for about 1/3 off. That would make PA's (and other featured shoes) about $239 this summer. You could get black PA's and something else in brown, plus a couple pair of shoe trees, and still be within your budget.

Hammi

Reaction score
If you are considering AE, there is no risk trying seconds. If you find a flaw unacceptable, just return them.

Since you are interested in a black shoe, AE's cap toe oxford (ParkvAvenue) is almost always one of the featured shoes during the annual Nordstrum's anniversary sales (starting in about 5-6 weeks. These will be first quality shoes for about 1/3 off. That would make PA's (and other featured shoes) about $239 this summer. You could get black PA's and something else in brown, plus a couple pair of shoe trees, and still be within your budget.
Looks like this sale is legendary. Thanks, I'll be the first one in my store this July 18th.
Will Nordstrom sell the shoe trees? I've never bought them before; I'm guessing as long as you have the correct size any trees will do?

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

D. Something else?

I agree with others that the Nordstrom anniversary sale is a good way to get 2 pairs of AEs in your budget. I would skip walnut for the time being though. They are not very versatile. Wait until you have 5 or so pairs of shoes before you even consider walnut.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with others that the Nordstrom anniversary sale is a good way to get 2 pairs of AEs in your budget. I would skip walnut for the time being though. They are not very versatile. Wait until you have 5 or so pairs of shoes before you even consider walnut.

Exactly. Stock with black and either burgundy or a dark to med brown.

wing8tesqw

Reaction score
I have three questions. Thanks in advance!

Q1. Matching Suit with Shoe Color Question: For a summer wedding I have an unlined wool dark navy blue suit. I'm thinking a woven shoe would complete the look. For color Light Tan or Chocolate Brown? Samples below.

Q2. Aforementioned suit has makeup on the sleeve. I wipe it and the makeup spreads. How do I remove makeup from lightweight wool?

Q3. My loafers had leather ties to make a knot. I broke one. Can it be repaired? What do I do?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads