• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

MarkSilber

Reaction score
Rack Suit Makers - Which Offers Classic Look Short of Custom? Nothing Glued; Nothing Too Trendy

Just as the perfect sailboat doesn't exist, I suppose the perfect rack suit doesn't, either. Rack suit makers come and go; trendy design dictates glued fabrics; materials are so thin, moths are hungry; one steam buck does the work of many, eliminating the traditional rolled lapel. If you drool at David Letterman's suits, then you'll appreciate this thread. The object is to identify a rack suit maker who gets close to a David Letterman look without paying for custom tailoring. By the way, does anyone know who makes his suits? I've guessed Sulka or Brioni ...

I'll begin by nominating our American suit maker, Hickey Freeman. Their line is classic. It gives the wearer a "look" you can spot from across the street. While lapels are moderately rolled on their website, I find their suits hanging on racks to be flat-pressed. In recent years fabric selections have dwindled, extra material for alterations is gone, and almost every suit is what we used to call, "summer weight." Please share your thoughts to open my eyes to other makers offering a Savile Row look from an upscale rack suit. Let's see what you suggest. Thanks!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If a woman buys you some Hober ties for Christmas, you marry her, right?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rack Suit Makers - Which Offers Classic Look Short of Custom?  Nothing Glued; Nothing Too Trendy

Just as the perfect sailboat doesn't exist, I suppose the perfect rack suit doesn't, either.  Rack suit makers come and go; trendy design dictates glued fabrics; materials are so thin, moths are hungry; one steam buck does the work of many, eliminating the traditional rolled lapel.  If you drool at David Letterman's suits, then you'll appreciate this thread.  The object is to identify a rack suit maker who gets close to a David Letterman look without paying for custom tailoring.  By the way, does anyone know who makes his suits? I've guessed Sulka or Brioni ...

I'll begin by nominating our American suit maker, Hickey Freeman.  Their line is classic.  It gives the wearer a "look" you can spot from across the street.  While lapels are moderately rolled on their website, I find their suits hanging on racks to be flat-pressed.  In recent years fabric selections have dwindled, extra material for alterations is gone, and almost every suit is what we used to call, "summer weight."  Please share your thoughts to open my eyes to other makers offering a Savile Row look from an upscale rack suit.  Let's see what you suggest.  Thanks!

Sulka? You might find this thread helpful: http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/the-styleforum-working-hierarchical-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql

Xpolishguuuy

Reaction score
My first Therad / I need ur help guys!
Hey guys I really need ur help but i have a little problem.. I dont speak good english :D
Some of my friends told my that my style is ''boring''..
I always wears the same outfits because i cant find any more :X
My outfits are all like this:

-Short or Long-arm Tshirt or Polo ( White or Black )
- Blue skinny jeans with holes
- Black boots or white sneakers
- Black belt
- Black or white watch + white or black bracelet

Now i bought this blue boots:
http://de.tommy.com/Aaron/FM56814708,de_DE,pd.html
( You can change their coulour on the right side )
And i dont know what should i wear with them?
I mean i always used the same belt & the same shoes colour...

Is my style really so boring? :D
What could i change?
I like to wear elegant clothes & not swag sh** :D
( I'm 18 by the way )

Thank u guys & i hope u understood my text :D

RichH

Reaction score
Sorry to cross-post this but I was responding to someone specific as well as asking some questions.

As a British expat working in Spain, the input of a native Spaniard could be really useful. I'm looking at shoes for business, is there a generally accepted style or recommendation for businessmen in Spain? Is it similar to us brits perhaps?

Because I tend to work with many clients from all over (like Mexicans, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegians, Russians, Chinese, Americans, etc), how can I tailor my image to suit broad interpretations of style in business, maybe someone can offer advice on this?

Thanks!

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Hey guys I really need ur help but i have a little problem.. I dont speak good english :D
Some of my friends told my that my style is ''boring''..
I always wears the same outfits because i cant find any more :X
My outfits are all like this:

-Short or Long-arm Tshirt or Polo ( White or Black )
- Blue skinny jeans with holes
- Black boots or white sneakers
- Black belt
- Black or white watch + white or black bracelet

Now i bought this blue boots:
http://de.tommy.com/Aaron/FM56814708,de_DE,pd.html
( You can change their coulour on the right side )
And i dont know what should i wear with them?
I mean i always used the same belt & the same shoes colour...

Is my style really so boring? :D
What could i change?
I like to wear elegant clothes & not swag sh** :D
( I'm 18 by the way )

Thank u guys & i hope u understood my text :D
You can keep the same basic style, but maybe you should mix up the colors a little bit. Try new colors and mixing different shirts, pants, shoes, and belts. This topic might be better in the Streetwear and Denim section since this section is more for dress clothes.

AZsundevil

Reaction score
So I just tried to post this but I'm not sure if it worked because I can't see it.

I know this is a total noob question but I am new to all of this. I have a pair of chinos that need to be lengthened about an inch. Incidentally, there is about a one-inch hem inside the trouser legs. Could I simply rip out the seam and roll down the hem? Would the ends of the trouser legs look "unfinished" as a result? Again I know this is a noobie question but I'm just now maturing past my "Jeans and T-shirts" phase so this is new to me. Thanks!

Gnome

Reaction score
There's a Merino wool one, at Aran Sweater Market. Made in Ireland, and it'll set you back less than $100. http://www.aransweatermarket.com/gents-knitwear/gents-sweaters/merino-wool-turtleneck-sweater
And the National Geographic store, of all places, has a nice looking men's Irish Aran turtleneck (pictured below), for about $150. http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/.../sweaters/men's-irish-aran-turtleneck-sweater
Both are available in a variety of sizes and colors.

--
Michael

gran sasso has some nice ones

Those look great. Thanks!

Badandy

Reaction score
Looking for some chukka boots that are $300 or less. I tried on the Alden unlined chukkas and they were fantastic. Very comfortable, great suede quality, and most importantly, they looked sleek. Chukkas tend to have these bulbous toe boxes and these Alden's did not; they were great. Unfortunately I'm not willing to spend $460+tax on chukkas, so if anyone could recommend something high quality that might be equivalent that would be great.

stgrim

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I will be making my first WW Chan suit come 8 Jan 2013 when I have a layover in HK for 10 hours.
I called in to check if a single fitting was sufficient and they were confident enough to assure me that it was so.
They also advised that an appointment could be made during their US tour stop in Chicago if anything was unsatisfactory.

I am 21 years young and entirely new to bespoke clothing. The suit will mainly be worn to bi-weekly/weekly business faculty meetings at my college.
I think I will be going for an understated and simple navy blue. Was wondering if anyone who bought a suit with them recently could chime in on the cloths they carry which represent better value (since they dont do CMT)? Any other advice is also appreciated! Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads