• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jrfjelstad

Reaction score
A quick question about a tailoring mishap: I asked for shortened sleeves on a dress shirt. Instead of moving the entire cuff/gauntlet upward, my tailor simply moved the cuff upward. Now the gauntlet button and cuff button are uncomfortably close. How much of an issue is this? Any ideas for solutions? Otherwise, it's a very nice shirt.

E TF

Reaction score
stgrim -

Not sure why you'd want to pay for a bespoke suit without getting the full benefit of the process - i.e. at least one fitting (your first visit is not a fitting - there is no garment to fit yet. You'll just have your measurements taken and pick a cloth). They're not miracle workers - the suit they send you with no fittings will not be as good as the suit they send you after one or more. Especially as you are a new customer (mind you, at 21 your body might well carry on changing for another year or two, so I guess it doesn't matter too much).
I would advise being in less of a rush - get measured while you're in HK, have a fitting when they come to Chicago, and all being well, they will send you the finished suit shortly after that.
Also this forum may give the impression that it's usual for clients to supply their own cloth, but it's not.

Last edited:

keixiao

Reaction score
Some advice on Lanvin chelsea creeper boots.

How does the sizing run for Lanvin?

I'm Looking to pick up a pair for a friend from Forward by Elyse Walker - and he usually wears US11/UK10. They have an EU45 remaining - which seems ok..

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for some chukka boots that are $300 or less. I tried on the Alden unlined chukkas and they were fantastic. Very comfortable, great suede quality, and most importantly, they looked sleek. Chukkas tend to have these bulbous toe boxes and these Alden's did not; they were great. Unfortunately I'm not willing to spend $460+tax on chukkas, so if anyone could recommend something high quality that might be equivalent that would be great.

Loake Kempton or Pimlico? Charles Tyrwhitt also sells a rebadged Loake in wide sizes.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I just tried to post this but I'm not sure if it worked because I can't see it. 

I know this is a total noob question but I am new to all of this. I have a pair of chinos that need to be lengthened about an inch. Incidentally, there is about a one-inch hem inside the trouser legs. Could I simply rip out the seam and roll down the hem? Would the ends of the trouser legs look "unfinished" as a result? Again I know this is a noobie question but I'm just now maturing past my "Jeans and T-shirts" phase so this is new to me. Thanks!

Yes, that would look unfinished. You usually need about an inch of extra fabric for the hem. Can sometimes get away with less, but not much.

offcolorwriting

Reaction score
Ok, as a fashion inept guy I need some advice on what to wear under an a dark blue v-neck sweater. Would a black dress shirt look too dark, or should I stick to white?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, as a fashion inept guy I need some advice on what to wear under an a dark blue v-neck sweater. Would a black dress shirt look too dark, or should I stick to white?

black would be awful. Light blue or white.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Are Jos A Bank Cashmere sweaters for $88 worth it or is the quality not worth owning?

BB has similar cashmere sweaters for about $275 now. I would wear it maybe once every 2 weeks for less than half the year. I would like to spend as little as possible but still get a decent sweater. If I went the JAB route, I would buy 2, but with BB I would only buy 1.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are Jos A Bank Cashmere sweaters for $88 worth it or is the quality not worth owning?  

BB has similar cashmere sweaters for about $275 now.  I would wear it maybe once every 2 weeks for less than half the year.  I would like to spend as little as possible but still get a decent sweater.  If I went the JAB route, I would buy 2, but with BB I would only buy 1. 

The JAB is certainly garbage. The BB is probably less so, but I still wouldn't buy it, especially at that price. Put This On did a couple of articles recently about cashmere; you might want to check them out.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads