• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

barzen

Reaction score

Provided you have someone you trust could do a good job fixing it...I would consider these things:
How much you like it (the piece in and of itself)
How much you paid for it
and How much it would cost to have it fixed.
If you really like it, then if what it would cost to get it fixed (plus the original cost) wouldn't cost more than finding a similar jacket, then go for it.
With that said, if you can take it back and get the same jacket in a smaller size and the smaller size fits better, then take it back. :)

I like it, but I got it for cheap at a thrift store ($15) and I think it would be just as easy to find something that's better fitting.

Essential

Reaction score
* the following was supposed to be a thread but it's being held for moderation and I don't have time to wait.

Hey everyone, I'm in a bit of a predicament.

Just to lay down the basics:

I'm about 5' 6.5".
I weigh about 125.
I need a suit (including all tailoring) for less than $800.
I am using this to go to prom; I'm not getting a tuxedo for many reasons.
I have an average "fit" build- I run track and work out a lot but I'm not that big.

I want a fit like: http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now...tton-suits-under-four-hundred-dollars?slide=4 (slides 1-3 are also good but I really like four)

Now I'm going to list out some choices: (ranked in order I like them)

#1: http://www.jcrew.com/browse/multi_p...2&bmSubmit=edit_cart_item&bmUID=1331497309472

Top: 36/S Heather Charcoal
(should I change to black? should I get 36S or 36R? I'm assumming 36S is for people under 5' 8")

Bottom: 28 Waist, 29 inseam, no cuff

#2 http://www.groupon.com/deals/stephen-seo
Bespoke Suit from Stephen Seo (no measurements required at this time)
One more day to get the groupon- very cheap bespoke suit.
Outsourced to China I believe and people are skeptic about this.
However, he has designed for the cast of Entourage.

#3 Suit Supply
Have not really looked into this but the go-to choice that many people like.

I could use the help. I feel like Jcrew would look really well.

hermesman69

Reaction score
Is there visual difference between a formal (suit) blazer and a casual blazer which can be word with jeans/plimsolls?
Is there a general rule as per how many buttons it should have?

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
Bit too much of an open question as individuality will make the style so not many definates.

2 button is safer then 3 or double breasted. Trim or wide lapels are trendy but normal width will make it look like a suit jacket. Tweeds help give a real traditional twist but be careful with not picking an old man brown if you're not young enough to pull it off as it will age you.

Also casual jackets are normally a tad shorter then suit jackets to split you in half better. Only by 1/2" unless trendy shop then may be more.

Features like patch pockets on lower and upper outside pockets can give the casual touch too.

Hope helps.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there visual difference between a formal (suit) blazer and a casual blazer which can be word with jeans/plimsolls?
Is there a general rule as per how many buttons it should have?

Maybe we should begin with your wide use of the term "blazer". A blazer is a type of stand alone jacket of military origin, usually navy with metal buttons. A sports coat is an odd jacket, usually with texture or patterns. A suit should not be confused as either a blazer or sports coat.

Now, which are you referring to in your post?

Last edited:

myfriendgoo

Reaction score

I'd love to be able to wear this Alexander McQueen tie in the office but can't think of a shirt to wear with it that wont leave me (a redhead) completely washed out looking. There's no way I can get away with wearing this in work is there?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is more versatile for a suit - mid-grey or dark grey?

Yes.

Charcoal is more formal, but there are very, very few contexts where that's gonna make a difference. Mid gray is fine for just about anything, interviews included. Maybe some of the more stuck up finance firms in NYC might have a problem if you interviewed in one, but outside of that, it's not an issue. I would also want to wear something darker to a funeral- charcoal, navy or black. But outside of that, either color should do ya.

* the following was supposed to be a thread but it's being held for moderation and I don't have time to wait.

I'm about 5' 6.5".

I weigh about 125.

I have an average "fit" build- I run track and work out a lot but I'm not that big.

I want a fit like: http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201006/xavier-samuel-models-cotton-suits-under-four-hundred-dollars?slide=4    (slides 1-3 are also good but I really like four)

#1: http://www.jcrew.com/browse/multi_p...2&bmSubmit=edit_cart_item&bmUID=1331497309472

(should I change to black? should I get 36S or 36R? I'm assumming 36S is for people under 5' 8")

You're gonna be a 36S, and I would stick with charcoal or navy. More versatile than black in other contexts. You wouldn't want to wear black to a wedding, for example. Many here will tell you it shouldn't be worn for business either. I think that's a whole lot of crap, as long as it's not awful for your complexion (if you're low contrast- fair skinned and blonde, for example, you'll look really bad in one). But still, not what I would recommend for a first suit.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.
Charcoal is more formal, but there are very, very few contexts where that's gonna make a difference. Mid gray is fine for just about anything, interviews included. Maybe some of the more stuck up finance firms in NYC might have a problem if you interviewed in one, but outside of that, it's not an issue. I would also want to wear something darker to a funeral- charcoal, navy or black. But outside of that, either color should do ya.

Thanks, man. I already have a navy, black and a mid-grey pinstripe. I think mid-grey it is then!

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cleaning up in the basement I found an Austin Reed suit that must be 30 years old and fits so suspiciously well it almost looks like I had it tailored.

Austin reed any good? I kind of like it...

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm about 5' 6.5".

I weigh about 125.

I want a fit like: http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201006/xavier-samuel-models-cotton-suits-under-four-hundred-dollars?slide=4    (slides 1-3 are also good but I really like four)

#2 http://www.groupon.com/deals/stephen-seo

Bespoke Suit from Stephen Seo (no measurements required at this time)

One more day to get the groupon- very cheap bespoke suit.

Outsourced to China I believe and people are skeptic about this.

However, he has designed for the cast of Entourage.

#3 Suit Supply

Have not really looked into this but the go-to choice that many people like.

I could use the help. I feel like Jcrew would look really well.

i would say you might be even smaller than a 36s depending on how you want to suit to fit... regardless you're going to need to do some alterations.
you can get really nice suits for < $800 easily if you're willing to go off brand (it doesn't matter what brand, just how it looks)
also, any reason why you're not getting a tux for prom? it'd be weird if you were the only guy not wearing a tux if it's that kind of occasion.

my personal advice: try not to shop online until you know your measurements or how it'll fit. you have wiggle room with your casuals but i think something that requires a significant investment like suits or whatnot require you to try them on.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a pair of quality balmoral/oxford shoes in a dark blue calf. Does anyone know of any RTW options out there? I haven't seen much, and lack the patience for MTO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads