• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The way the fronts open up below the buttons.

that much i gathered... but... i need concrete examples
is it ... how the front of the jacket splits back open after being buttoned?
or ... how the jacket hangs in front of the body?
i need visual help

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is it the way your lapels come down i.e. "high button stance" and "low button stance" ?

No.

Below the bottom button, the front of most jackets will cut back to some extent. If, below the buttons, the coat continues in a straight line down and ends with an angle (like a double breasted jacket might), that's the extreme of closed. The more those edges are cut back, the more open the quarters are.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! I've never heard of them,but it looks like there's a store one town over; for that price I'll definitely check it out the next time I swing by...
The only thing I've ever had tailored were jackets, so I have no idea what anything costs. I'm just looking to slim down a whole buncha quality-fabric-ed, but ill-fitting clothes, much like Street Etiquette's (and SF's) JKissi:
0EVn4.png
Here he is with some severely tapered Land's End dad jeans. :slayer:

I found my alterations person before I found sf. I bought a Lauren RL suit at K & G before an event I was attending and she did the adjustments for the suit. K & G contracts the alterations out but they handle the payments through the registers. They have a menu board at the register that lists the prices for all of the alterations that they do. It's two tiered as each item costs a dollar or two less if the item was purchased at K & G but they will do items brought in from outside.

My M.O. after my first outside piece was done was to give her a cash tip of around 20% of the total. She protested but finally accepted it. After the second time, she put her foot down and said no more money so now I bring her muffins, a sandwich from the Panera Bread joint next door, etc. Now she does things for me like rush jobs without charging (I found my BB Loro Piana navy blazer the day before my trip to Italy and she busted ass to do the sleeves and suppression.) and she gives me discounts or at least, the instore pricing. She even told me she'd slim some shirts for me for $15! That's cheaper than the tailor that I was planning to use until I found she would do it.

There are things she can't / won't do. She can't raise arm holes on jackets, shorten the length or change the quarters, etc. I had to practically force her to give me no break on the pants and I think she still cheats a little break in regardless. She slims the legs and tapers from the knee down. We have gone a couple of rounds when I tell her that I want something done that's outside of her normal comfort zone. Fortunately, her background makes her familiar with the fit favored by most of sf so I usually get my way without too much hassle.

I took my brother in law to her and he had 3 sport coats done (sleeves / waist suppression / excess fabric removed from below the collar), a pair of slacks tapered and a suit modified to MY standards except they refused to slim the legs :mad: to my specs but all in all, not too shabby. He paid $135 for it all as she gave him some breaks in the pricing since I brought him in.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you find someone who does work that meets your needs, develop a relationship with them and you'll be miles ahead.
35x35px-LL-db5e8bdc_FelixDig.gif

Good luck.

Last edited:

RicPac

Reaction score
Whats a nice casual shoe to wear out on a date or night out? I use my laceups for interviews and work, could I use them for nights out as well or would loafers or monk straps be better?

destiny7

Reaction score
Fall/WInter Winter Jacket suggestions needed. I am looking to buy Navy Blue winter jackets in Toronto. Thank You

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way the fronts open up below the buttons.

that much i gathered... but... i need concrete examples
is it ... how the front of the jacket splits back open after being buttoned?
or ... how the jacket hangs in front of the body?
i need visual help

It is how the front edges curve away to the sides. The most closed quarters will be entirely vertical down the centre front with no gap between them at all. Most DB coats have a vertical front edge like this, but it doesn't look very good on SBs. The more open quarters, the wider the fronts spread apart.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is how the front edges curve away to the sides. The most closed quarters will be entirely vertical down the centre front with no gap between them at all. Most DB coats have a vertical front edge like this, but it doesn't look very good on SBs. The more open quarters, the wider the fronts spread apart.

i see
*looking down at my own suit*
i have open quarters!
:slayer:

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Whats a nice casual shoe to wear out on a date or night out? I use my laceups for interviews and work, could I use them for nights out as well or would loafers or monk straps be better?

There's no right/wrong answer to this as is. It really depends what else you are wearing. What sort of clothes do you wear out on a date or a night out? Shoes have to go with what you are wearing, so the more information you give us about clothes, the easier it will be to give you advice about shoes.

Josh

Cookiemostar

Reaction score
Just updated my wardrobe with some new stuff, brown leather Timbaland boots etc. Should I get a matching brown belt to mach the shoes? Mainly going to wear them with jeans.

As of now I only got a black rather thin belt. Thanks!

RicPac

Reaction score

There's no right/wrong answer to this as is. It really depends what else you are wearing. What sort of clothes do you wear out on a date or a night out? Shoes have to go with what you are wearing, so the more information you give us about clothes, the easier it will be to give you advice about shoes.

Josh
I usually wear some chinos or corduroy with some sort of light sweater or t shirt and a blazer. Rarely do I wear a button down with a.blazer. I might pull on some raw denim jeans.but very rare that I do that.usually date night consist of dinner and a sort of entertainment. (movie, comedy club, improb club, dancing). I am favorable to light colored clothing as well, pink, purple, blue, very light gray.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i see
*looking down at my own suit*
i have open quarters!
:slayer:
It's not really a binary option; there are varying degrees of openness.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not really a binary option; there are varying degrees of openness.

yea
but now that i know exactly what open and closed quarters are, i know what i'm looking for

i don't know what is the most "desirable" amount of openness
all my suits have a slight open quarter
enough to show the belt buckle, i guess

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads