• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rps20110920_141247.jpg

here is one of my suits

now is it the "openness" between the two flaps of the front of the jacket?
or how much "curvature" there is in the front flaps?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rps20110920_141247.jpg

here is one of my suits
now is it the "openness" between the two flaps of the front of the jacket?
or how much "curvature" there is in the front flaps?

Either your jacket is too short or your pant rise is too low (at least from this angle).

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Either your jacket is too short or your pant rise is too low (at least from this angle).

the pants do have a low rise
(hugo boss... go figure)

but i think i understand now...
since the belt line should be at or above the 2nd button ... the belt should still be hidden even when the quarters open
is that right?

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok
here's another suit
that is much more fuller cut, not so slim and not low rise
still has some open quarter but does not show the belt line
rps20110919_164557.jpg

thanks for sorting this out for me

Last edited:

joshuadowen

Reaction score
I usually wear some chinos or corduroy with some sort of light sweater or t shirt and a blazer. Rarely do I wear a button down with a.blazer. I might pull on some raw denim jeans.but very rare that I do that.usually date night consist of dinner and a sort of entertainment. (movie, comedy club, improb club, dancing). I am favorable to light colored clothing as well, pink, purple, blue, very light gray.

Given what you tend to be wearing, the most versatile and stylish choice would be a medium brown blucher. Bluchers are more casual than the oxfords you might wear with a suit, so they work with everything from jeans to chinos to more formal pants. They are also more comfortable,and allow enough movement that you should have no problem dancing in them.

Josh

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

but i think i understand now...
since the belt line should be at or above the 2nd button ... the belt should still be hidden even when the quarters open
is that right?

exactly.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of a post or a link that has a good pictorial on how to measure shoes? I have a request from somebody to measure a pair but want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

I tried the search function but was overwhelmed with results taking me to unhelpful places.

socal225

Reaction score
Good afternoon gents,

I am a new member and so far it has been quite an enlightening experience . I very much enjoy fashion and it has always been an significant part of who I was growing up - and it still continues to be. This is a wonderful website and I am happy to have stumbled upon it.

Onto my questions now; Is it acceptable to wear ribbon/d-ring belts for the fall months? I live in Southern CA ( Palm Springs area) and the weather is still in the upper 80s and mid 90s most of the days. Also, is it appropriate to wear a tie with chinos and what color of socks go better with Burgundy Tassel Loafers?

Sorry for the multiple questions but in my opinion (when it comes to fashion) I'm still a novice compared to many of the members here, although I do hope to absorb and learn as much as I can from you guys.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what color of socks go better with Burgundy Tassel Loafers?

Socks are usually not matched to the shoes, but instead to the trousers or some other part of the outfit (or simply to your mood). That's not to say that any colour will be worn with burgundy shoes, but the possible choices will depend much more on the other items being worn.

socal225

Reaction score
Socks are usually not matched to the shoes, but instead to the trousers or some other part of the outfit (or simply to your mood). That's not to say that any colour will be worn with burgundy shoes, but the possible choices will depend much more on the other items being worn.

Thank you. One example is; stone colored chinos, a long sleeve plaid shirt (navy blue with burgundy and white stripes) and a burgundy belt. We don't really wear coats here in socal so maybe a banana-yellow cable-knit crew sweater? Another outfit is; light grey slacks, white pinstripe long-sleeve and a tie (navy blue, grey and red diagonal stripes).

defpoetry

Reaction score
Looking to get a good first pair of monk straps, as a I've had only lace-ups to this point. For the latter I generally take an 8.5D almost every time. As a general size question for monks, should I take a half size down, 8D to ensure the same fit? Worried that with monks my usual size will fit too loosely without being able to fully lace the shoe.

socal225

Reaction score
Good afternoon gents,

I am a new member and so far it has been quite an enlightening experience . I very much enjoy fashion and it has always been an significant part of who I was growing up - and it still continues to be. This is a wonderful website and I am happy to have stumbled upon it.

Onto my questions now; Is it acceptable to wear ribbon/d-ring belts for the fall months? I live in Southern CA ( Palm Springs area) and the weather is still in the upper 80s and mid 90s most of the days. Also, is it appropriate to wear a tie with chinos and what color of socks go better with Burgundy Tassel Loafers?

Sorry for the multiple questions but in my opinion (when it comes to fashion) I'm still a novice compared to many of the members here, although I do hope to absorb and learn as much as I can from you guys.

Thank you very much in advance.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member