1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gentndubs

gentndubs Member

it's not a problem at all, im happy to help however I can. Shortening the length will definitely make a positive difference. However, it should be noted that shortening a jacket can sometimes be a risky proposition if you take it to a sub-par tailor. This also, of course, depends on how much you're getting it shortened. If the length you're trying to shave off is significant, the pocket placement (and other things) may look off. Either way, long story short, yes, if you can have a tailor successfully alter the length of your coat it will make a big difference. I should also note that narrowing the sleeves of your coat is pretty simple as far as tailoring requests go. I know you said you don't want to make that alteration, but I figured I'd mention it anyway for the sake of being thorough.

As for your question re the average joe, I'd say no, the average joe probably won't notice the fit issues I addressed before. I arrived at this conclusion in that by caring in the first place, and taking the time to come to this site and ask the questions you're asking, you're certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the average joe. So kudos for that. Not saying my logic is foolproof but I think you get what I'm saying.

Happy to answer other questions too, don't hesitate to ask

2. upcoming

upcoming Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response once again! What I think I am going to do is get the jacket shortened. I always have been told that getting sleeves narrowed is a risky proposition! But, if it can be done easily I'll have done that too. Is it expensive?

Thanks for your kind words and don't worry I completly get your logic ;) I do have one more question and that is I'm very slim (as you can see) do you reccomend anywhere where I can buy well fitting shirts? A lot of people have reccomended TML super fully fitted. Would love to hear your suggestions!

I used to buy jackets like the one I have show you! I must have looked terrible back in the day!!! Time to change all that now!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  3. WeekndOrNah

WeekndOrNah New Member

Been searching high and low for a casual shirt and tie combination to go with my light grey suit. The suit fit itself is very slim fitting on me, and I have an athletic build

Mantoni suit
    Peter Millar oxford (not buttoned down in the pic) (most expensive shirt I own but easily my nicest and current favorite)
    Gladson satin tie (navy)

Already bought the shirt, but haven't bought the tie yet (Trunk Club).

Is this a winner?

[​IMG]

Planning on wearing it for anything less formal than interviews. I have research symposiums/presentations in the coming months, along with Vegas, and maybe formal parties here and there. The conservative in me thinks the polka dot tie is too much, but everyone else I've asked says it looks good and the daring/outgoing part of me thinks it looks good. Don't know if I will have the balls to wear it to research symposiums around a bunch of old boring scientists though, ha.

4. emidyl

emidyl Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. WeekndOrNah

WeekndOrNah New Member

Thank you!

I've only been on here for all of 20 minutes and I'm fearful of what it will do to my bank account, yet excited for the possibilities. I'm a college student (senior) who loves to look good and likes this style / level of fashion and I make decent money already... this is dangerous. I also have a pretty bad identity crisis, as I am from Hawaii where it's a whole different world in terms of style...

Oh well.

6. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

It is very dangerous because the more you earn the more you can afford to buy the best suits, shoes, ties and coats...

It is very addictive.

1 person likes this.
  7. teixeira

teixeira Member

Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm just wondering if i can wear a navy striped suit with a white/blue striped shirt? I kinda liked the combo when i tried it, what you think?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help [​IMG]

8. gentndubs

gentndubs Member

No problem. As for narrowing the sleeves, you may be thinking of narrowing the armhole itself. That is definitely harder for a tailor to pull off correctly. What I'm talking about is a tapering of sleeve to basically fit closer and more snugly to your arm so it doesn't look like your arm is getting lost in the jacket. This is much more basic. As for cost, I guess it depends on the tailor. My tailor charges around $20 I believe.

I have no experience at all with T.M. Lewin shirts, so I can't comment on their slim cuts. At a lower price point, I can recommend, as far as fit goes, Zara's "super slim fit" shirts. I don't personally own any, but my friends who are "very slim" do and they look good. The shirts are quite cheap so even if the quality isn't up to snuff at least the fit is. Good luck!

9. gentndubs

gentndubs Member

Agreed it looks fine. Both your pattern and tie are loud, and there's nothing wrong with that when done right. But if you're ever worried about being too loud, just switch the shirt out with something more subdued and keep the tie or vice versa.

10. gentndubs

gentndubs Member

Yes, you can. They rule of thumb re mixing stripes is to have varying widths and/or directions. You have that here in that your shirt stripes are thicker than your suit stripes. You're good to go

11. etostano

etostano Well-Known Member

Frank also does MTM which should come in under your budget

12. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, but I'd much prefer full bespoke if that's possible. Not sure if MTM will give me the ideal fit. My lower body is pretty weird (left hip sits about 3/8 of an inch lower than the right hip, slim waist, but chunky thighs, etc).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  13. teixeira

teixeira Member

Thanks :) And what about the length of the jacket? I guess mine is a little bit long.
    Would it be better if it ended on this red line?
    [​IMG]

14. gentndubs

gentndubs Member

Way too difficult to tell in that picture. When standing straight, hands naturally at your side, where does the jacket fall in relation to your fingers?

15. teixeira

teixeira Member

Pretty much the end of my thumb

16. greger

greger Well-Known Member

Generally the bottom edge is lower than the buttocks. For some a little longer to give an overall look. If you are following the latest trend wherever the trend sets it. Trends can be expensive because they are sort lived. Tailors of the past liked them because it brought the customer back sooner. Some trends are wise to follow and some are not.

17. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

Mr. Ned is in your price range. I think I paid $350.

18. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Well-Known Member

I apologize for the wrinkles on the coat and the pants/sneakers. Was just trying to snap some quick pics.
    Should I have the sides taken in?
    I intend to wear a suit underneath it. The jacket I was wearing in the pictures was a tweed jacket which may be a little thicker than the suits I have.
    The back looks fine for me, but the front looks sloppy. Is it possible to have the sides taken in without ruining the back silhouette?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. WeekndOrNah

WeekndOrNah New Member

Suit with OCBD and satin tie for scientific research presentations/symposiums. Yay or nay?

20. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

Are you a PI? What field are you in? Unless you are in medicine, no. Way too formal. It will alienate your colleagues.