• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
What's those stripes in the middle of the leg called? And what's your thoughts about wearing those "formal" pants in cotton with a casual outfit consisting of OCBD, v-neck and moccasins?

These are called 'creases', and they are ironed into the pants to give them more shape and a slight air of formal. One trick I've recently discovered is that pairing creased pants with decidedly casual tops (white t-shirt) and casual-leaning shoes (desert boots, mocs) lends a certain dimension to the look.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to this site, so excuse any ignorance I might display. Got this jacket on ebay for 60AUD, Canali, just wondering what you all think of the fit? I like the fit, but I'm sure it could be tweaked - maybe a tiny bit shorter in the sleeves? Also, the shoulders extend past my shoulders by about the 3/4 of an inch...Is it noticeable? This seems like, due to the fact that it's such a small amount, a tailor could take it in at the seam on the back? Again, excuse my lack of technical know how etc if I am incorrect and I'm sure I haven't used the correct terms. Also, the jacket seems to drape strangely in this pic; I believe it's due to what I'm wearing (on a break from work where I often have to do heavy lifting); a thick flannel shirt. I don't know why it's pulling where I have buttoned it up as it usually hasn't done this. Of course I would wear it with more appropriate clothes! Also, my poses look a bit awkward which I think contributed to the ugly creases, which as I said, I haven't noticed before.

Also, any tips on what would look good with this jacket? Cheers!

jaywhyy

Reaction score
^Altering shoulder width is very difficult. The back picture is odd, as there seems to be an almost feminine amount of waist suppression but drape that suggests the jacket is too big. I'd suggest posting in the tailor thread (following the directions in the first post) with a proper shirt and stance, and people much more qualified will chime in on the fit and how to address them.

Last edited:

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is called a "crease". It is what happens when you iron your pants properly.

And those are not particularly formal pants. They are chinos (also known as khakis), which are, in the realm of menswear, fairly casual. Actually, they're at about the same level of formality as an OCBD or a pair of penny loafers, so you're good.
I wasn't sure if those were pleats or not. What's the difference between creases and pleats actually?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wasn't sure if those were pleats or not. What's the difference between creases and pleats actually?

Pleats are small folds of fabric found just below the waist. Generally, if they are present, there will be one or two on each side. They allow for a little more room when sitting down. Usually, the crease will begin where one of the pleats ends.

frivmo

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first pair of penny loafers for the summer and would love some input on nice, sleek (non-beefroll or moc style) brown (calf or suede) loafers in the $500ish range (cheaper is good, too!) to wear "sockless" with SC and odd trousers mostly.

Right now I'm looking at these three:

Crockett & Jones Sydney
Kent Wang Handgrade (Ilcea Radica "museum calf")
Wildsmith Bloomsbury (at Leffot)

Is any one of these three considerably better than the others (or am I missing an obvious alternative style/brand)?

Thanks!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
For a summery look, maybe consider a tassel. But really, they're all good, just go with what you love. And wear socks. :)

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Sedona is on clearance now. That's way below your price range and a great loafer.

frivmo

Reaction score

For a summery look, maybe consider a tassel.  But really, they're all good, just go with what you love.  And wear socks. :)

Thanks - actually have a killer pair of AS tassel loafers already. And don't worry, I'm always at least wearing no-show moc socs.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleats are small folds of fabric found just below the waist. Generally, if they are present, there will be one or two on each side. They allow for a little more room when sitting down. Usually, the crease will begin where one of the pleats ends.
Does it mean that it's possible to make and remove the crease, while the pleats can't be removed using regular tools at home (have to use a tailor)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads