1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Bump?

2. jgolig

jgolig New Member

I've got a question about shoe width. I just bought a pair of AE Fifth Avenues in 10.5 E. I tried on the D, but it was definitely too tight as the V in the laces was rather dramatic. But now that I've got the Es, I've noticed that the area above the heel may be too wide. The leather is bowing out on both sides of my ankle when I walk and I can easily stick my index fingers down both sides of the shoe at the same time. In addition, the leather above the heels on the sides doesn't look taut or straight at all, it looks loose and wavy if that makes sense, like there is too much leather there or like it needs a very wide back end of a foot to fill it out. Does this sound like a problem? Or is this normal? Suggestions?

3. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Tie suggestions?[​IMG] Probably going with a Light Blue Shirt, can't really tell by the photo below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. jungleroller

Very common issue with that last and a lot of people, myself included, have "bowing" issues with those. After multiple replacements by AE I've just accepted my foot/instep or whatever its called is not made for that last. A last is the form the shoe is "sculpted" on in case you don't know. Different models sometimes share a "last" such as AE Fifth Ave. with their Park Ave.

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

At jungleroller: If pattern visible from a distance, how about a burgundy or olive/green grenadine or challis, smaller pattern if any. Thinking of red over check.

6. jungleroller

I don't have a burgundy or olive grenadine. I have a dark olive tie below, but it has polka dots. I was also thinking something with Red but everything I have doesn't seem to fit. Solid Navy works as a safe bet but feels kind of boring.

[​IMG]

7. TweedyProf

Try one on right and even one on left. I'm not sure about polka dots, but if these are choices for patterns, the right (navy background?)

8. TweedyProf

9. jungleroller

The one on the far right original pic is kind of a dark green it seems ok when I put it up next to it. The far left seems ok too, but I'm not crazy on polka dots (don't know why I bought it) [​IMG]

Below is the navy one that seems safest. I think I need something in a dark red like you mentioned, I just don't have it.

[​IMG]
    (far left is socks, disregard)

10. TweedyProf

Try right dark green and blue. Post in WAYWRN. See fit there tomorrow?

11. TweedyProf

Actually if that brown is lighter than jacket might work?

12. jungleroller

The brown is just a tad lighter but it seems like too much brown. This is a tough one. When you said dark green, did you mean the dark green/navy polka dot?

13. jungleroller

Heres a few rough tests. Still leaning towards Solid Navy kind of...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the way, Thank you![​IMG] I don't know about the PS, I was just tossing it in for testing.

14. TweedyProf

Just trying to do something but work! Fun to play with combinations. I think they're all not bad. The dots aren't bad actually and in a way more daring. The women at work will like it. Blue safe.

Actually stripes not bad but I don't like too many stripes. Something Less stripey if that makes sense.

I meant your dark green with red spots.

What do you think? I might go with top given the three options. The least obvious of the three.

15. TweedyProf

If you go with navy tie, go for a more
    Interesting square with more colors, though tonally appropriate. Something with blues, greens, and perhaps orange (drakes Navajo if you have it or something similar).

16. jungleroller

A few more for fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the last one has a similar light blue to the shirt, not exact though.

17. TweedyProf

Last thoughts... Must get to bed. Of the last batch maybe the top if it's green. Reds in rosettes less bright (not a fan of red ties versus muted reds like burgundies).

Oddly enough i still like the light olive you were sorry you had bought. Purple dots? Purple and brown works too. I think that looks good though not in a classic way. But a purple dotted tie isn't exactly classic.

I'm going to wager that the women at work will love it. Will the waywrn crowd? Who knows. But it looks interesting. Tie it and snap a shot. My vote but don't blame me! :)

If I could gift you a tie for this, olive challis with burgundy small paisleys.

18. jungleroller

Thanks for the advice. I'll sleep on it and see what I wake up to. [​IMG]

19. TweedyProf

Last thought. Large dots seem to me a dandyish tie. Fun and has its place. One of
    The posters in WAYWRN posted a funeral fit with large dotted
    Square. That seemed to me out of place for the context.

So last thing to think about: how do you want to feel when wearing it tomorrow in real life as opposed to posting it in WATWRN. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  20. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Well-Known Member

That was me! It was OK though. It was subtle enough, the dots. Wearing a PS over here is "dandy" anyway so it didn't really make much difference. It wasn't inappropriate as I wasn't a "mourner", just in the congregation. My friend was happy I was there one way or the other.

I made sure I was happy with it in real life, as always; it wasn't just a fit for WAYWRN.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014