• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

QUESTION: I found a really great deal on a John Varvatos slim cut 2-piece suit at Nordstrom Rack recently ($170, down from $795). It fits very well and I like it, but I'm not sure if it's really in style and even worth the $170 I paid for it. The first reason I'm unsure of it is that it has a peaked lapel. I like the peaked lapel, but don't really see them in use ever. Next, it's a light grey ghost pinstripe, which I also don't really see, but do like. My concerns are, first, will the material pattern be too distracting and will I look outdated? Second, will I look like I'm trying to be a pimp? Your responses are certainly appreciated. Be brutally honest. I can still return it for a full refund. Also, if you think it's worth hanging onto, what color and style shoes would you recommend? Thanks, David
It's not going to come off as dated, if anything it'll come off as a little fashiony. Maybe in a few years it'll look as silly as the 80's landing strip shoulders look to us now, but I don't think that that styling is going to inspire such an extreme reaction. The single breasted, peak lapel bit is a trend right now, and light gray pinstripe is a less formal suiting, but a well established one that won't look too odd now or in 10 years. I would not wear that suit to an interview, but for a wedding (not yours), a party, or a day at the office, it's a nice choice. And pretty much any non-loafer dress shoe will go with that suit. Gray means black will always be a sharp choice, and the lighter gray is, the more shades of brown you can easily play with. Burgundy too, of course. The world is your oyster.

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What would you reccommend in place?
Clarksdb has the right of it, I think. Persols are nice, indeed. You could also do what Cary Grant did in North by Northwest and put tinted lenses in eyeglass frames. Or, if you want a brilliant take on a classic, get some Randolph Engineering aviators (avoid size 58 unless you have a very large head).

choppedimage

Reaction score
What should I wear under a black v neck sweater?

I was thinking a white ocbd and jeans.

foto010101

Reaction score
When I buy shirts or cashmere sweaters there is always some tissue like paper wrapped around it. This tissue like paper is also used to fold up the sweater more neatly.

What kind of tissue paper is this? Is there some name for it? Where can I buy it?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When I buy shirts or cashmere sweaters there is always some tissue like paper wrapped around it. This tissue like paper is also used to fold up the sweater more neatly.
What kind of tissue paper is this? Is there some name for it? Where can I buy it?

I'm pretty sure it's just tissue paper.

drtchock

Reaction score

I read somewhere once that Italy had the third worst (i.e. most corrupt, least organized, etc) postal service in the world. Including all of Africa. I try to make it a best practice to never deal with any Italian postal entities.

yes i've been reading this on the internet too.. not making me feel any better! :-/

drtchock

Reaction score

I don't know if it's the third worst in the world (although I'd have no trouble believing that it is). I do know that I'd never trust the Italian postal system with anything more important than a post card.
I hope your jacket arrives safely, drtchock. And I suppose it might. Eventually. Maybe. But I'd have paid extra for something like FedEx or DHL, rather than taking the crapshoot that is the Italian postal service.

thanks, i hope it arrives safely too.. i got a bargain price for a margiela jacket and the seller said they would throw in free shipping so i accepted! i had no idea the italian post was so bad though otherwise i would have just paid the extra and gone for DHL. fingers crossed it arrives, i'm sure it will... i hope.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sridhar3

Reaction score
If it's knit, probably not.

RicPac

Reaction score
What shoe should I go with? Brand wise, Allen Edmonds or Grenson? Looking to get me a black cap toe and a casual shoe

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What shoe should I go with? Brand wise, Allen Edmonds or Grenson?

Tell me toward which brand you're leaning. Tell me why. Then maybe I'll chime in with my take on your thinking.

I mean, it's your question; you ought to be the one to do the heavy lifting. :)

But fwiw, I own lots of Allen Edmonds shoes. I'm pretty happy with them. I own no Grensons. So that's my bias. Then again, I have no idea where you live (UK or US), how old you are, what your shoe budget's like, which of your current shoes you like, whether you have an unusually large/small or wide/narrow foot, what your specific dress shoe and casual shoe needs are, etc. So just because I like Allen Edmonds does not necessarily mean that it'd be the better choice for you.
--
Michael

diglett

Reaction score
1. What is a "waterfall sleeve"?
2. To what do "open channel" and "heel nail" refer in the context of shoes?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Spalla camiccia, A technique where a lot of fabric is sewed into a smalll sleeve head creating a rippling effect in the shoulder. 2) Open channel means the stitching on the sole of the shoe is exposed. Heel nails refers to the nails in the heel of a well-made shoe.

Last edited:

RicPac

Reaction score
Tell me toward which brand you're leaning. Tell me why. Then maybe I'll chime in with my take on your thinking.
I mean, it's your question; you ought to be the one to do the heavy lifting.
smile.gif

But fwiw, I own lots of Allen Edmonds shoes. I'm pretty happy with them. I own no Grensons. So that's my bias. Then again, I have no idea where you live (UK or US), how old you are, what your shoe budget's like, which of your current shoes you like, whether you have an unusually large/small or wide/narrow foot, what your specific dress shoe and casual shoe needs are, etc. So just because I like Allen Edmonds does not necessarily mean that it'd be the better choice for you.
--
Michael
well im looking for some boots or maybe some black cap-toes as i said. i dont see nice boots from AE. around 350 is my budget, 24 yrs old, i dont have many shoes, just merlot mcalisters. also where can i get some good chelsea boots? AE doesnt seem to have any? i have read grensons quality has gone down hill

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics