• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you the best dressed person at your job?

FrankyB

Reaction score
I am always among the well dressed guys in the office. However, for me form and function matters equally. I used to have expensive suits, shoes, tailor made from scratch and it was great for a time but as soon as weight or size fluctuates just a bit, it can get uncomfortable quite well. These days, I still buy rather expensive business clothes but it's not the very high end, more in the medium range and usually not tailor made from scratch. My go to strategy is to buy good looking clothes, shoes and belts and retro fit them to me by a tailor and I make sure to leave a little room when it comes to the fit. Just a little. Still looks great but not as good as a completely tailor made suit. Besides that, 90% of guys don't wear that either so I still look better than most of them. Also, I usually go for a business casual style these days. Combined with chino pants....man, I can wear those pants all day. No discomfort, nothing.

I could wear my business outfits all day without any discomfort. I could sleep in them and I still look better dressed than the majority of my co workers.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am always among the well dressed guys in the office. However, for me form and function matters equally. I used to have expensive suits, shoes, tailor made from scratch and it was great for a time but as soon as weight or size fluctuates just a bit, it can get uncomfortable quite well. These days, I still buy rather expensive business clothes but it's not the very high end, more in the medium range and usually not tailor made from scratch. My go to strategy is to buy good looking clothes, shoes and belts and retro fit them to me by a tailor and I make sure to leave a little room when it comes to the fit. Just a little. Still looks great but not as good as a completely tailor made suit. Besides that, 90% of guys don't wear that either so I still look better than most of them. Also, I usually go for a business casual style these days. Combined with chino pants....man, I can wear those pants all day. No discomfort, nothing.
When it comes to belts, I use Automatic belts only. way more comfortable and with them, you always have the tailor made fit. Most of them are ugly and/or cheap, granted. There are some brands that actually care for good design and quality so I mainly go for those.

I could wear my business outfits all day without any discomfort. I could sleep in them and I still look better dressed than the majority of my co workers.

I am now retired. However, through several careers over ther decades, I was usually one of the better dressed. That includes the State Dept. where standards were quite high.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I am. By a mile and I'm being humble (though it doesn't sound like it).

Generally, I wear suits twice a week, sport coats twice a week, and chinos/denim once a week. I go into the office every day.

I'm very comfortable with my style, though most other folks don't dress like me. Most are in t-shirts and jeans, and a few might be business casual - chinos, polo shirts, OCBDs, etc.

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are tens of thousands of people at my company, so certainly not lol also its big enough that there are multiple subgenres of menswear that each person is probably best dressed in their own version of what they think is "best"

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, let me use this thread to ask you this — I am starting an mba in nyc soon and will be intervieweing for finance jobs. I’m shopping suits now, and I love this gray color in the pictures, but I worry I am risking too much and should just stick to charcoal. Am I overthinking it? Is this shade of gray approppriate for interviews in finance in nyc in 2024?

Getting a charcoal one would be safer, but wouldnt bring me as much joy as the personal touch of going with a lighter shade of gray. Lamarche labels this as medium gray, but I think from the pics its more of a dark one.

1712830252400.jpeg

1712830286983.jpeg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, let me use this thread to ask you this — I am starting an mba in nyc soon and will be intervieweing for finance jobs. I’m shopping suits now, and I love this gray color in the pictures, but I worry I am risking too much and should just stick to charcoal. Am I overthinking it? Is this shade of gray approppriate for interviews in finance in nyc in 2024?

Getting a charcoal one would be safer, but wouldnt bring me as much joy as the personal touch of going with a lighter shade of gray. Lamarche labels this as medium gray, but I think from the pics its more of a dark one.

I don't work in finance but I can't imagine this shade of dark grey is inappropriate. I also prefer it to a near-black charcoal, or navy; though those will probably be your next purchases anyway.

Good luck with the interviews.

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't work in finance but I can't imagine this shade of dark grey is inappropriate. I also prefer it to a near-black charcoal, or navy; though those will probably be your next purchases anyway.

Good luck with the interviews.
Thank you! I should have added I also bought this navy suit, but its got a very subtle glen plaid and is in a lighter fabric (250g vs 300g)

1712834807921.png

1712834910823.png

1712835002587.png

Again I went for a riskier choice! Hopefully this combo is appropriate enough and will let me postpone buying a charcoal suit as much as possible

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TomTom

Reaction score

View attachment 2164945

View attachment 2164947
I had worked both in Finance and Law in the City of London( and still do -law), the most conservative environment imaginable. Dark grey ,or any grey is completely acceptable colour to wear. SO is navy, dark blue, charcoal and even POW pattern.

TomTom

Reaction score

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are tens of thousands of people at my company, so certainly not lol also its big enough that there are multiple subgenres of menswear that each person is probably best dressed in their own version of what they think is "best"
You nailed it. In the post above, I took a very narrow view of "best dressed".

Satmoche

Reaction score
You nailed it. In the post above, I took a very narrow view of "best dressed".

I think that by 'best dressed' the understanding would be professional attire for the workplace. Now, granted, what constitutes professional has changed a lot lately, especially after COVID.
Some countries will be more lax regarding wearing a suit every working day at the office. In Japan, I would find it very hard to believe that employees could wear shorts and sandals in an office.
In my personal experience, men are less interested in their own style and would often buy off the rack without taking into account the fit of the garment and their own body type. Therefore, it hardly surprises me now to see men wearing tight fitting suits and/or the pocket square which has the exact same pattern and cloth as their pocket square.

We care - a lot - more than the average man which is why some of us do will stand out in the workplace. Putting an outfit together comes naturally to us now and it also shows in the way we carry ourselves too, which people will sense.

ClassicStyle1950

Reaction score

Was/am I the best dressed person at work? Always! I always dressed appropriately to meet with a customer. And, I had just as many customers at work as well as outside the office.

As we said in the Boy Scouts.....Be Prepared!

epsilon22

Reaction score
In my personal experience, men are less interested in their own style and would often buy off the rack without taking into account the fit of the garment and their own body type. Therefore, it hardly surprises me now to see men wearing tight fitting suits and/or the pocket square which has the exact same pattern and cloth as their pocket square.
I once put a white linen pocket square in my navy suit's breast pocket. One of my colleagues (a guy obviously) asked me if that "white thing" came with the suit, thinking it was stitched onto the jacket or something.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STACY411