• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone speak more than two languages

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
A minor moment of triumph for me occurred early in my career at Guns & Ammo. I was going up to the Petersen Ranch to test a light machine gun with an engineer from Fabrique Nationale. The

MAAG?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learned to speak Jive by watching "Airplane" many times.

My other dozen or so languages are only written.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my wife is actually fluent in 4, and can do pretty well in 2-3 others, inlcuding site reading (and understanting) latin and ancient greek.

I have 2 fluently, and can get by in a taxi in 3 others. I use a lot of nouns, you put enough nouns together, people will understand you, even without verbs.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
I am fluent in English, French, and Italian...written and spoken. By the time I am done university I will be fluent in Arabic.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 and a quarter. I speak english and french and I'm working on spanish.

Seanallen

Reaction score
First language was Spanish. Then English came along when I started elementary school, at the moment I'm working at French.

Class54

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i speak spanish, english, and though i studied both italian and french, i've lost them due to lack of use.

I have this same problem. Over the years, I've picked up quite a few languages, including Classical Latin, Amharic, various dialects of Farsi, Levantine Arabic, Brazilian Portugese, and even a little Russian.

I can usually learn them pretty quickly, but without consistent use I forget them just as fast. I can't even speak Spanish or French, both of which I've known since elementary/middle school.

adfan

Reaction score
I speak English and Korean.

I may try taking Japanese again. Japanese is so similar to Korean - levels of speaking, tone, etc.

My wife says that I speak Kong-Lish = screwed up Korean / English blend.

Regards

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being Norwegian, I also understand Swedish and Danish quite well, the Scandinavian languages are quite close.

Most Scandinavians are supposedly quite fluent in English. Much of the reason for this is that the Scandiavian languages are too small to have television and films dubbed, so you get the original languages, with subtitles in your own. Portugal, for example, has the same situation WRT dubbing, apparently, whereas Germany/France/Italy/Spain does not. The Portuguese generally speak English very well, the Spanish, not so much.

Also, I speak some German and a very little French.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads