• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Plumbers here? Got a quick shower/hot water heater question

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, so after the gym I am attempting to take a cold shower. At first, the water comes out freezing but after about a minute, the water starts to warm up. The thing is, I'm not moving the handle. I can't figure this out and my google searches have been fruitless. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of water sitting in your pipes. Check the temperature of the water in the heater itself to confirm.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
There's a lot of water sitting in your pipes. Check the temperature of the water in the heater itself to confirm.

This.
To check the water heater, look on the side and find the temp setting. Set it to "hot" or "warm" and see if the problem changes at all. But really the first bit will always be cold because the water sitting in the pipes between the heater and your shower can't be heated by the water heater.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't understand how this would be making the water go from cold to warm and keep it from going back to cold again. The first thing that comes out is the cold water. If I was flushing out hot water from the pipes, wouldn't the first thing I get be warm water?

I'll check on the heater and get back to you. I know that the temp is set to 120 though, if that helps any.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I don't understand how this would be making the water go from cold to warm and keep it from going back to cold again. The first thing that comes out is the cold water. If I was flushing out hot water from the pipes, wouldn't the first thing I get be warm water? I'll check on the heater and get back to you. I know that the temp is set to 120 though, if that helps any.
I believe what people have been trying to say is that you are turning on "warm" water to begin with, and what's coming out is cold water from your pipes - so you think that its cold, but in reality, what you selected is a hot/cold mix. (which then, after a few seconds, warms up) If that isn't the case, the only other things I can think of are that you have a recirculating valve in your water line that puts hot water into your cold water line, but these aren't very common, and would only be probable if your hot water heater is really far away from your bathroom. It would likely be located under your sink, and look somewhat like a small box with a timer dial on it. Also, it could be that your mixing valve (in the wall of your shower, its what your handle is attached to) needs new washers/to be serviced. But you'd probably notice that you couldn't shut your water off in that case, like it would keep dripping. Any plumbing work done in your house recently? Unlikely that someone mistakenly crossed your pipes, but I have seen it happen.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I believe what people have been trying to say is that you are turning on "warm" water to begin with, and what's coming out is cold water from your pipes - so you think that its cold, but in reality, what you selected is a hot/cold mix. (which then, after a few seconds, warms up)

If that isn't the case, the only other things I can think of are that you have a recirculating valve in your water line that puts hot water into your cold water line, but these aren't very common, and would only be probable if your hot water heater is really far away from your bathroom. It would likely be located under your sink, and look somewhat like a small box with a timer dial on it.

Also, it could be that your mixing valve (in the wall of your shower, its what your handle is attached to) needs new washers/to be serviced. But you'd probably notice that you couldn't shut your water off in that case, like it would keep dripping.

Any plumbing work done in your house recently? Unlikely that someone mistakenly crossed your pipes, but I have seen it happen.

The apartment is only about 5 years old and was unlived in for the first 4 years. Seller bought it to flip and once the market tanked, he decided to rent it out. I am the first person to live here.

I crank the handle all the way to the right. Oddly enough, the picture on the handle has the hot(red) on the right side and the blue(cold) on the left. When I turn the handle to the left I get the hottest water. I don't know.

I just double checked the temp. Definitely below 125. There are two covered holes and I can't get the top one off no matter how much I unscrew the screw
plain.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The apartment is only about 5 years old and was unlived in for the first 4 years. Seller bought it to flip and once the market tanked, he decided to rent it out. I am the first person to live here.

I crank the handle all the way to the right. Oddly enough, the picture on the handle has the hot(red) on the right side and the blue(cold) on the left. When I turn the handle to the left I get the hottest water. I don't know.

I just double checked the temp. Definitely below 125. There are two covered holes and I can't get the top one off no matter how much I unscrew the screw
plain.gif

Don't mess with your water heater. It doesn't have anything to do with that.
smile.gif

I wonder if whoever installed your shower put the temperature safety stopper in backwards... There's usually a little plastic notched washer that keeps you from scalding yourself by turning the hot water completely on. (so that its always mixed with SOME cold water) If somehow yours got jammed in backwards, it might keep you from turning on on only cold water. I dunno though, it just seems like maybe you should bite the bullet and have your landlord take a look at it. Or just accept that it like it is. At least it's not your place. If something goes wrong with the pipes, you don't have to pay for it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't mess with your water heater. It doesn't have anything to do with that.
smile.gif

I wonder if whoever installed your shower put the temperature safety stopper in backwards... There's usually a little plastic notched washer that keeps you from scalding yourself by turning the hot water completely on. (so that its always mixed with SOME cold water) If somehow yours got jammed in backwards, it might keep you from turning on on only cold water. I dunno though, it just seems like maybe you should bite the bullet and have your landlord take a look at it. Or just accept that it like it is. At least it's not your place. If something goes wrong with the pipes, you don't have to pay for it.

Hmm. Can I access this myself? Despite my water heater cover mishap, I'm rather handy. Failing that, I'm just planning on living with it. It's not the end of the world.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmm. Can I access this myself? Despite my water heater cover mishap, I'm rather handy. Failing that, I'm just planning on living with it. It's not the end of the world.

I dunno. I'm not comfortable telling someone "handy" that they can do plumbing more complicated than plunging a toilet. I've seen many floods caused by "handy" people, and if you mess up your shower valve, you are going to need a new bathroom WALL at least.

Aside from that, sure, its easy. But do you know what you are doing or what you are even looking at?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I dunno. I'm not comfortable telling someone "handy" that they can do plumbing more complicated than plunging a toilet. I've seen many floods caused by "handy" people, and if you mess up your shower valve, you are going to need a new bathroom WALL at least. Aside from that, sure, its easy. But do you know what you are doing or what you are even looking at?
Well, I've replaced entire toilets, toilet flush systems, faucets, etc. Never taken apart a shower but there's a first time for everything. You know anything about installing and removing mirrors? I've got to replace a cracked bathroom mirror.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, I've replaced entire toilets, toilet flush systems, faucets, etc. Never taken apart a shower but there's a first time for everything.

You know anything about installing and removing mirrors? I've got to replace a cracked bathroom mirror.

is it glued onto the wall? Prepare to drywall patch.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
is it glued onto the wall? Prepare to drywall patch.
Cut the entire drywall with the mirror attached to it? No way to pull the mirror off and stick another one back on?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cut the entire drywall with the mirror attached to it? No way to pull the mirror off and stick another one back on?
You pry it off with a big flat putty knife and a wonder bar, carefully! But you are going to take big pieces of drywall with it, and you will probably break the mirror doing it.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is...

Your hot water pipe and cold water pipes run parallel and close to one another. The cold water is warming up from the heat of the cold water pipe.

(Sorry if someone already wrote this....I just replied after reading your initial post)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads