• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Detergents and Stain Removers: Laundry Megathread

squalidozzi

Reaction score
I was mildly surprised to have come up with zero results after a forum search for detergent/stain remover recommendations! Tweaked my search terms a bit and then found a few small threads on laundering, but no good ones focused on products, so I figured I'd start a thread as a resource for people that wash their own clothes -- and treat the (hopefully) occasional stain.

Why wash your own clothes, you say? Well, quality control for one - bad dry cleaners will ruin your clothes either instantly or over time - and if you find certain chores relaxing (like I do) it's well worth your time. I'll collate your replies here and in the next post - I started with my experiences. The focus of this thread is products first, technique second and it's still very much in a gestational state. I'd appreciate any help improving it!

DETERGENTS
  • I use Seventh Generation (liquid) - on cold washes or warm - I'm not sure how good or bad it is, it's just been my default since it's eco friendly and seems to wash well, although I don't use it when I wash technical clothing or my lens cleaning cloths since I think I can safely assume it leaves a residue like most standard liquid detergents.
  • I saw some posts singing Woolite Dark's praises. I understand it's marketed to be used for dark clothes, but I would like more evidence before recommending it, especially since a poster on this thread avoids it based on its contents: formaldehyde and bleaching agents.

STAIN REMOVERS
  • Dishwasher soap, a toothbrush, and water really helps a lot of stains out. My first line of defense.
  • For general use, I find Resolve Spray-n-Wash (in stick form) to be better than Tide-to-go or Shout (spray form). I use these on the collars and cuffs to remove stains from rubbing against your skin. Some also use it under their arms if they tend to get deodorant stains.
  • For grease stains (bicycle grease, fats) I've had luck using WD-40 on the stain and soaking it in soapy water. Multiple applications did the trick.
  • For stains on ties, multiple applications of baby powder gradually lifts the stain to a point where it's almost completely unnoticeable to the determined observer.
  • I've wanted to try out Triton X-100, a laboratory grade non-ionic surfactant that leaves no residue often diluted down and used to clean vinyl records. Also used in the flu vaccine and to destroy cell walls in-lab. I have this persistent stain on one of my shirts that I'm having trouble lifting and I think this might help but am waiting til I'm back in the states to get some.
  • When all else fails, gentle use of bleach... but overuse leads to yellowing and it can easily screw up anything that's not white.

OTHER PRODUCTS
  • Dryer sheets: I used to use fabric softener dryer sheets but then learned they were coating fabric with oils, which reduces breathability in some fabrics and is reduces water repellency in technical fabrics. They don't serve an essential role.
  • Starch: No personal experience. Other posters say it degrades cotton.
  • Bluing: Apparently counteracts shirt yellowing after they've yellowed. I've used it once but I didn't notice any effects. Anyone else?
TECHNIQUES
  • Shirts: Method (1) Take the collar stays out and pre-treat the neck/cuff and maybe armpit areas, launder similar colors together, but they all can be washed cold. After the wash, I toss in the dryer til damp, then iron and hang. This thread is useful on the perils of dry cleaning your shirts regularly. (2) [see your method here]
  • Pants: if cotton, same as shirts, but turn them inside out; otherwise dry clean
  • Suits: Never anything except dry cleaning, but try to keep it to a minimum. Any thoughts on optimal wears-before-cleaning?
  • Ties: hang out, only treat if stained
  • Sweaters: wash with mild detergent inside a netted bag and wash in cold water and air dry at the end of sweater weather
  • Iron vs. steam: no opinion. I've become fast at ironing so I tend to do that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads