• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

div25sec9

Reaction score
I'll be away during that time, so I won't be able to attend...but I'm interested when another get together is planned.

...I would also suggest someplace more inclusive; some of us use SF to improve the way we dress and don't have the budget to be dining at Edmonton's finest. I'm not talking about some ****** chain, just a good value for the money.

...I hope I didn't come off as a cheap-ass

Unregistered

Reaction score
No worries at all. Just thinking along the lines of what we have done in the past! We all could save a bit of money (SF has a way of draining disposable income rapidly)

How about Cactus Club? Decent food at a decent price?

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:spam:

I'm holding a pop-up on May 2 & 3 at Barber Ha on Whyte Ave. I'll be including a few non-vintage items too (shirts, shoes, etc). Details in the spoiler.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Was at the wonderful Brahms Symphony No. 2 this weekend. Decided to go in black tie. Saw only one fellow black tie wearer. We looked at each other and did the smile and nod. Would that have happened to have been any of you gents?

phoni

Reaction score
(Mild) Thread hijack.

Been living in Edmonton since 2011; rather depressed at the lack of decent shopping (Harry Rosen's footwear offerings are truly dire) and limited evening entertainment options.

I'll try to keep this thread active, so instead of daily ramblings I will offer some updates via the true and tested 'What are you wearing today?' photo format. Here we go - Loake Cannon in tan, with blue cords (and thick-ish socks, it's freezing today!).

phoni

Reaction score
Another Loake, the Pimlico boots with Dainite soles, plus Canali trousers.

The sensible thing to do, in order to survive Edmonton's climate, is to have a pair of beaters and keep decent footwear at the office, space allowing (luckily not an issue for now). Since moving here I've been trying to buy Dainite-soled shoes whenever possible, but even those can only be worn on select days (like today, when it feels about -27 with windchill). My current beaters are the Red Wing Heritage 875; this is the second winter I've had them and they have proven up to task so far, though I might look for something fur-lined for my next purchase.

LeviMay

Reaction score
I'm only 45 min from Edmonton, so same kind of weather, and I've been wearing Swims for the last couple years. As long as you avoid the deep stuff and the slush, they work great.

Unregistered

Reaction score
I like that idea.

I find that on bloody cold days like today, I can do without the galoshes. Still no nice shoes, so a beater pair of AE Park Aves today.

phoni

Reaction score
I like the Park Aves, I ordered a pair in black couple of years ago and of course they shipped the wrong size :)

I might try again on my next trip south of the border.

Trickers Fixby in tan, with black CoH jeans (my concession to casual Friday...).

Unregistered

Reaction score
Very nice boots! Nice and bright for a cold and sunny day.

Here's mine for today. I'm completely okay with casual Friday. Means I can have quite the leeway with what I wear. AE Longbranch and selvedge jeans from the Gap. I'm not a denim snob (and most definitely not a SW&D guy), but I did just order 2 pairs of Gustins at the urging of my friends!

phoni

Reaction score
I'm not a denim snob (and most definitely not a SW&D guy), but I did just order 2 pairs of Gustins at the urging of my friends!
Yes, Gustin is rather neat. I have two pairs of jeans (Kickstarter edition) and some grey chinos from them, great quality. I want to try their shirts at some point as well.

Where do you buy your AEs from? I'll assume it's not Harry Rosen ;)

Unregistered

Reaction score

Yes, Gustin is rather neat. I have two pairs of jeans (Kickstarter edition) and some grey chinos from them, great quality. I want to try their shirts at some point as well.

Where do you buy your AEs from? I'll assume it's not Harry Rosen ;)

Shoebank! They used to ship USPS which made it much cheaper (no taxes) than via Fedex now. All 5 pairs of AEs I own (brown Park Aves, walnut Fifth Aves, brown suede FA, long branch boots, and brown/white linen Strawfuts) are from shoe bank sales.

Can't wait until summer so I don't have to only wear my AEs. Even with galoshes, I just don't want to wear nicer shoes in this weather.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Another snowy day, another beater shoe day. Walnut AE Fifth Avenues. Mondays do require a bright splash of colour in the form of socks though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads