• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've basically stopped buying most bottles of Scotch whiskey the past 18 months as prices are getting too out of hand. I'll still go to the bar and order a pour every once in awhile but no more bottles for me for the time being.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prices increase when demand is higher than supply. Why does this make people so angry.

If prestige goods were just about market economics and not about aesthetic considerations like perceived prestige, taste, and connoisseurship, there would be no StyleForum.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If prestige goods were just about market economics and not about aesthetic considerations like perceived prestige, taste, and connoisseurship, there would be no StyleForum.

Kind of this. As a novice with whisky, I can tell you from other markets that prices for these types of elite goods don't seem to go down. Yes, there was a market crash for Bordeaux a few years back, but that just went from absurd to outrageous. Both levels are well above what I'd consider doing with my money, which is too hard to come by to squander it on a bit of drink.

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting article on BBC web if anyone likes Lagavulin

Lagavulin's 200-year anniversary boost to island of Islay

A whisky distillery is set to invest £580,000 in community projects to mark its 200 years on the island.

The full article is on the BBC web site

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people always think that people who can afford to buy ridiculous priced items are douches?

Its kind of marsupialed.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do people always think that people who can afford to buy ridiculous priced items are douches?

Its kind of marsupialed.

I see what you're getting at, but this is a thoughtless thing to say. Nobody said that "people who can afford to buy ridiculous priced items are douches"- that's a huge segment of the population. People who are conspicuous consumers who choose to buy things simply because they're expensive, who have no actual taste for the objects in question, but are making said purchases in attempt to look baller or whatever get at the very heart of being a douche. But, yeah, it would be simple to write off all criticism of this practise to make yourself feel above jealousy, or whatever.

tbrock

Reaction score
I think it's accurate in the case of pappy. I drink a lot of whisky, mainly single malt scotch in the 10-15 year range but also Japanese, Irish, bourbon etc.

I have paid the premium to drink 15yr pappy. And..... The quality is not there to justify the premium. Supply and demand. Yes, to an extent. But you really do have to be rather stupid to pay those prices (I had a glass not a bottle) and to do so repeatedly. If you understood whisky, you would understand that it is not only not an atypical statement but that it is actually rather underwhelming. Nowhere near as complex as some other 15yr olds.

Whisky, like nice shoes, has diminishing returns. You can keep getting more for your money the more you pay, but the difference each step up is less. However, in the case of pappy there are loads of cheaper options that are way more nuanced and better value. Dare I say, better made.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I see what you're getting at, but this is a thoughtless thing to say. Nobody said that "people who can afford to buy ridiculous priced items are douches"- that's a huge segment of the population. People who are conspicuous consumers who choose to buy things simply because they're expensive, who have no actual taste for the objects in question, but are making said purchases in attempt to look baller or whatever get at the very heart of being a douche. But, yeah, it would be simple to write off all criticism of this practise to make yourself feel above jealousy, or whatever.

I just knew there was a reason all rappers drink Hennessy (from the bottle).

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think it's accurate in the case of pappy. I drink a lot of whisky, mainly single malt scotch in the 10-15 year range but also Japanese, Irish, bourbon etc.

I have paid the premium to drink 15yr pappy. And..... The quality is not there to justify the premium. Supply and demand. Yes, to an extent. But you really do have to be rather stupid to pay those prices (I had a glass not a bottle) and to do so repeatedly. If you understood whisky, you would understand that it is not only not an atypical statement but that it is actually rather underwhelming. Nowhere near as complex as some other 15yr olds.

Whisky, like nice shoes, has diminishing returns. You can keep getting more for your money the more you pay, but the difference each step up is less. However, in the case of pappy there are loads of cheaper options that are way more nuanced and better value. Dare I say, better made.

I disagree about other 15 year olds. Can't think of a wheated bourbon as good and old and balanced as the van winkles. If you want to compare with other whiskeys seems like apples and unicorns to me

Last edited:

tbrock

Reaction score
Why? Scotch and bourbon are made from the same ingredients in almost the exact same way...

Pretty fair comparison.

The difference in the way French and Australian wine is made is more stark. Yet those products are compared all the time.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fwiu they're not made from the same ingredients or made it in similar ways. Climate is different, wood is different, upbringing is different, the blenders have different philosophies and tastes they look for. To me they taste extremely different. 15 years in Kentucky really isn't like 15 years in the Highlands

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tbrock

Reaction score
Ok, fair enough. They are both made from grains in an almost identical manner. Someone better tell Jim Murray to find a new job. God forbid he talks about them in the same breath....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads