• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Eric Michael

Reaction score
I haven't tried the 12 but did go through a bottle of the 21 in short order. To me, the defining characteristic was balance, though it absolutely had maritime traits. I'd love to get more but it's outrageously expensive in Ontario.

It's a much mellower scotch than both the Lagavulin (16) and the Talisker (10). Not sure how it compares to the Talisker 18--haven't sampled that one yet.
I'm in Ontario as well... doesn't appear to be much selection of OP at LCBO either
Do you ever buy scotch from anywhere other than the LCBO?

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in Ontario as well... doesn't appear to be much selection of OP at LCBO either
Do you ever buy scotch from anywhere other than the LCBO?

Not often. I get the occasional bottle from other provinces, travel retail, and south of the border. There are still some things from LCBO that I'd like to try, though their selection is poor.

Eric Michael

Reaction score
I believe LCBO does sometimes have some interesting stuff (especially through Vintages) but its often madly expensive.
I find any Scotch they sell that's older than 15 years is far too expensive. I could be wrong... perhaps they're equally as expensive in the US, but I doubt it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
have you guys checked out the Summerhill location? Just went there and started looking closer and they have a pretty good selection, especially of specialty beers

but yeah agreed the older scotches and stuff are considerably overpriced compared to the usa.

just incase anyone's interested, I'm a little OCD about this, or maybe I have more time than money but I've got a self-compiled list of bourbon, scotch and general liquor and the prices at LCBO and 2-3 NYC stores for comparison so I know which ones to get while I'm there versus here. If any of you Toronto guys want a copy just PM me with an email address

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have you guys checked out the Summerhill location? Just went there and started looking closer and they have a pretty good selection, especially of specialty beers

but yeah agreed the older scotches and stuff are considerably overpriced compared to the usa.

just incase anyone's interested, I'm a little OCD about this, or maybe I have more time than money but I've got a self-compiled list of bourbon, scotch and general liquor and the prices at LCBO and 2-3 NYC stores for comparison so I know which ones to get while I'm there versus here. If any of you Toronto guys want a copy just PM me with an email address

PM sent. This would be useful.

Eric Michael

Reaction score

PM'd you- thanks!

Saltricks

Reaction score

Finally got a bottle. Mmm..I missed this. Aged in oak, light, with an enjoyable nose and with creaminess, fruit and spice all present in the smooth, long finish.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally got a bottle. Mmm..I missed this. Aged in oak, light, with an enjoyable nose and with creaminess, fruit and spice all present in the smooth, long finish.

Ow, you lucky beast! The orange zest is something special.

I'm lucky that my local cigar bar carries it, because it's sold out everywhere i have looked for it...

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my second bottle of Glenfarclas 12… God this thing is soooo smooth… It's thick and the end is spicy but also sweet as honey… I like it better than Macallan 18… :embar:

freedom_fries

Reaction score

came across this a couple months ago - couldn't manage to expense the macallan 57 unfortunately...

i will put in a good word for the caol ila muscatel distiller's edition - certainly in the running for my best bottle for the money.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What currency is that menu listed in?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads