• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

gauche.story

Reaction score
I am loooooooving my Vibrant. Rooted. Team Whiskey Rom. It still has reception even sans cover (
facepalm.gif
-> iPhone)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Since my HTC desire HD update to Gingerbread the phone side of this phone got even crappier. Now I have to first search for a number and press the call button before I see my recently called numbers.
Since I have stock Android 2.3.4 and I have no idea what you are talking about, nor have I ever experienced this on any of the previous versions of Android - I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's not an Android problem. SenseUI issue maybe?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Since I have stock Android 2.3.4 and I have no idea what you are talking about, nor have I ever experienced this on any of the previous versions of Android - I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's not an Android problem. SenseUI issue maybe?

First it worked, now it's not working. Only one thing changed.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
First it worked, now it's not working. Only one thing changed.
Nothing changed
in regards to what you are complaining about though. Call log is still the first thing to pop up when you hit the phone widget. Lists contact names/numbers/time/number of calls (incoming and outgoing, threaded) in decending order from most recent to least recent. Same as it's always been. As I mentioned, if you see something else - it's an issue with a custom UI that your manufacturer has on top of Android, not with Android. In your case, probably Sense.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is the first screen you see when you click the phone icon in stock android gingerbread. It's been similar (or the same) since uh... what... cupcake? I think the notification arrows used to be on the right hand side. Maybe the background was white. I don't recall for sure.
=gb_call_log.png
So if you don't see this - you have something else getting in your way.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it is changed. And apparently in such a was as to make my phone suck, phonewise that is.

If only there was a platform in which all the parts were fully integrated. Hardware and software.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So it is changed.
This is why I left. Stupid people don't listen. ... I just explained it to you! Thanks for the reminder.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why I left. Stupid people don't listen.

... I just explained it to you!

Thanks for the reminder.

Stupid people profess they know it all. I don't get what you are arguing. Do you think Gingerbread is exactly the same as Froyo(?)?

The fact they called it an upgrade led me to believe they changed the software somewhat. In any shape or form. I get the total package is more than android allone. I get that the problems I am experiencing may have something to do with the interactions of the different software. Fact is everything was peachy untill they changed android. Ergo, new android sucks.

You on the other hand haven't changed.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Stupid people profess they know it all. I don't get what you are arguing. Do you think Gingerbread is exactly the same as Froyo.
READ VERY CAREFULLY. I WILL BREAK IT DOWN INTO VERY SMALL SENTENCES SO YOU CAN FOLLOW ALLONG: Android is not your problem. Your problem is not with Android. You are blaming Android for a problem that Android doesn't have. Your problem is not Android, as I showed you - Android still does exactly what you claim it doesn't do. YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT BEING CAUSED BY ANDROID! What you want Android to do - it still does. (and never stopped) Therefore complaining that it doesn't is incorrect. Am I getting through? I have already explained to you that your problem is probably being caused by Sense UI. It has nothing to do with Android Gingerbread. Now logically, that you know that, you are free to do one of three things - fix it, continue to ***** about Android like a dunce, or go buy an iPhone - another person having been mentally defeated by a cellular phone's operating system.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
One wonders how constructive it is to try and argue with people who are attempting to help you out. Does it usually work this well for you? I, being the nice guy that I am did about a half hours worth of research and came up with the following: Seeing that you are unaware - I am going to tell you that you have indeed downloaded and installed a new version of Sense recently. It came in the over the air update with Gingerbread. Blame HTC. But you did get it. You're just going to have to take my word for it. One would assume that they changed it so that it no longer pulls up the phone log when you press the phone tab. (if it ever did. I haven't ever used Sense) It is not a "bug", an "error", or "incompatible software". It is a feature that was programmed into Sense by someone who is probably a very well paid dummy. I have verified that your phone, running Android 2.3/Sense does this in youtube videos. Perhaps they didn't think people liked or used the call log, who knows why SENSE changed it. Android still defaults to the call log, as I've said repeatedly. And for good reason, it's ******* handy. I have verified this by doing it on my phone several times today. Now there are two or three ways to get around the stupid user interface your phone has. We'll start with the easiest and work our way to the hardest. You can download a shortcut to your call log from the app store. It's free. Search for "Call Log Shortcut". It's by NexMon. Put it on your desktop and use that instead of your phone tab. OR You can deactivate your Sense Launcher, run Android Launcher, and use your phone tab the way it's most useful, the way Android has done it for a long time now... But you will lose access to your Sense widgets until you re-launch Sense. A handy little guide here. OR you may be able to futz around in your settings and get the phone tab to point back to your call log again. I don't know without looking at it. So yeah. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. I helped you out, even though you basically don't deserve it. Maybe that'll learn ya. Jerk.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One wonders how constructive it is to try and argue with people who are attempting to help you out. Does it usually work this well for you? I, being the nice guy that I am did about a half hours worth of research and came up with the following:
Dear TS, For some reason or another I thought antagonising you would weasel out a solution. Foolish me.
smile.gif
At the moment I use Launcher pro. Using stock android doesn't seem to be an option for me, at least not via the options you gave me nor the ones I found on my own. By the way, I just found out HTC sense, has a fully operational call history, so it's the combination of 2.3 (yes!) and launcher pro that's not working. The nexmon app is nice, thank you for that. I also found Advanced phone log, by roman10 which is maybe even better. I'll just use that one until L pro is updated or I figure out how to use stock A. 2.3. By the way, don't leave on my account. You're one of the MVPs here and have been helpful to me now. Further more I like you(r anger).

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why my google chat contact list in gmail is not consistent with the Talk app linked to the same account on my android phone? Different people show as online, available/away isn't consistent, etc.

951socal

Reaction score
there in an enthusiast base for this? why?

i picked up a cheap virgin mobile phone that had this andriod junk on it..seems like a linux knock off of windows mobile...

other than the weak OS, i'd say its an okay phone touch screen is responsive and the processor is quick enough for a phone

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
there in an enthusiast base for this? why?

i picked up a cheap virgin mobile phone that had this andriod junk on it..seems like a linux knock off of windows mobile...

other than the weak OS, i'd say its an okay phone touch screen is responsive and the processor is quick enough for a phone

Welcome to 2007.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Welcome to 2007.

haha, im guessing there is an enthusiast base to it becuase the anti-apple guys needed something linux/unix based to blindly support? : P

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics