• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I know this will be met with scorn here, but thinking Samsung Fascinate. It's the Verizon Galaxy version.
Pio fail

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Then why are some professional reviewers saying it's the best piece of hardware currently out there? The screen certainly kicks the Droid X's ass and it's a bit smaller and lighter. Also, every benchmark shows it has better processing (both claim 1 gHz but different chips).

BP348

Reaction score
Then why are some professional reviewers saying it's the best piece of hardware currently out there? The screen certainly kicks the Droid X's ass and it's a bit smaller and lighter. Also, every benchmark shows it has better processing (both claim 1 gHz but different chips).

That's good to know cuz I'm waiting to see if Verizon get the iPhone but if not I was really thinking about the Droid X.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The big knock folks are giving the Fascinate is that outside of the Motorola Droids, Verizon loads Bing search and Bing maps. You have to use a third party software launcher (free LaunchPro will do it) to get ride of the Bing and run Google and Google Maps. You can also "root" your phone for this but it is no longer necessary.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The big knock folks are giving the Fascinate is that outside of the Motorola Droids, Verizon loads Bing search and Bing maps. You have to use a third party software launcher (free LaunchPro will do it) to get ride of the Bing and run Google and Google Maps. You can also "root" your phone for this but it is no longer necessary.
I can't argue its a powerful phone. The screen is very sharp and the processor is fast. The downsides are that the screen sucks in sunlight, it chews battery power (all the Galaxy S phones do), its a Samsung (they suck), and the camera blows. Plus, you have to remember that the X is already almost 6 months old. Its not surprising that the Fascinate is faster because the parts are much newer. I wouldn't worry about Bing. You can root any Android phone to get all that crap the providers put off of there. I'd root it even if it wasn't necessary. The space you save getting rid of Verizon's crap is worth the effort.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I can't argue its a powerful phone. The screen is very sharp and the processor is fast. The downsides are that the screen sucks in sunlight, it chews battery power (all the Galaxy S phones do), its a Samsung (they suck), and the camera blows. Plus, you have to remember that the X is already almost 6 months old. Its not surprising that the Fascinate is faster because the parts are much newer.

I wouldn't worry about Bing. You can root any Android phone to get all that crap the providers put off of there. I'd root it even if it wasn't necessary. The space you save getting rid of Verizon's crap is worth the effort.

Cnet states that although the Fascinate is a 5mp vs. the X's 8mp camera, the Fascinate takes better pictures. Also, the X has been roundly criticized for it's video capture. The Fascinate's screen excels in sunlight over the X and just in general kicks its ass. The batter life of the Fascinate is rated just under that of the X, not enough to be material.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cnet states that although the Fascinate is a 5mp vs. the X's 8mp camera, the Fascinate takes better pictures. Also, the X has been roundly criticized for it's video capture. The Fascinate's screen excels in sunlight over the X and just in general kicks its ass. The batter life of the Fascinate is rated just under that of the X, not enough to be material.
You're right about the camera. I was thinking of the Captivate (AT&T). That one doesn't come with a flash for some reason. I used the Vibrant (Sprint) outside in the sun and it SUCKED. The screen is gorgeous inside though, no question. If you're planning on rooting it right out of the box then its an ok option. I still think you should hold off though and wait for the next batch of phones which will be coming sooner rather than later.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, posting from the new Fascinate.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Galaxy S club.
fistbump.gif
Edit - man that sounds ****. Galaxy S? Who comes up with this ****?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Welcome to the Galaxy S club.
fistbump.gif

Edit - man that sounds ****. Galaxy S? Who comes up with this ****?

Koreans.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So far, loving it. The big test will be tomorrow when I try and make it play nice with my work Exchange server.

LauncherPro, Sense Clock, AppBrain...******* awesome.

Anyone know how to completely delete an email account? I put in four POP accounts and one just doesn't want to set up to send mail. It'll receive, just not send. I want to just delete that account out and enter it again.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cool. I hope you enjoy it. Post up your impressions after you've used it for a bit.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hooked up effortlessly with the work Exchange server this morning. Immediately d/l'ed my contacts and calendar OTA and is syncing up with appointments made on the desktop within a few minutes. However, I put a couple of test events on the handset and not sync'ed up yet. The most frequent sync I can find is once daily, so will wait until tomorrow morning to see if that's the deal.

Battery life is going to be an issue; I can see that right now.

Anyone else with a Fascinate? I have a few little issues, like how to mark "all read" in my combined Inbox.

Mauby

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hooked up effortlessly with the work Exchange server this morning. Immediately d/l'ed my contacts and calendar OTA and is syncing up with appointments made on the desktop within a few minutes. However, I put a couple of test events on the handset and not sync'ed up yet. The most frequent sync I can find is once daily, so will wait until tomorrow morning to see if that's the deal. Battery life is going to be an issue; I can see that right now. Anyone else with a Fascinate? I have a few little issues, like how to mark "all read" in my combined Inbox.
I did a quick Google search - came up with a few apps: K9 or Gmail Unread Count And this if you're using Gmail:
in the gmail search type: is:unread that will find all unread messages, look for the little banner thing mentioned above then slect them all and archive or mark as read, or delete or whatever. works best from a computer but have done it on the phone from time to time \t\t

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member