• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it is a fair price. That's how much bespoke trousers go for at a lot of high end tailors.

The hand-stitching you obviously don't need. You pay for it because it's nice.

It can be nice but too much of it devalues the product. If you apply it everywhere, like all around the side adjusters, it just screams 'look at my pants, they are SO handmade'. Not exactly subtle. Then, the rest is hidden, so only you know it's there, so two extremes both with downsides. Like working button holes - the dilemma is to keep them done up and no-one knows they are working or undo them and risk being showy and pretentious, or have people point out your buttons are missing.
A tasteful amount of visible hand stitching is nice, but that can be obtained without ridiculous prices.
If, of course, the thread is perhaps silk instead of cotton, leading to more elasticity, that is practical and desirable, but also unseen.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What a relief that his affiliations with key retailers in major cities makes his business much easier, as none of them should go through the nonsense some of us did when he visited cities on his own.

I personally got a bucket of **** thrown at me via his poor service.

Through relentelss e-mails, FB msgs, (many of which were ignored), and countless calls (he never once returned my call and no one else at his shop speaks English), I suffered hoping one day I would get my trousers.

I kept waiting as he noted they were almost ready, that he was visiting my city again next month and we must do a fitting first as he did not want to do shoddy work. I kept getting suckered into waiting and waiting.

Despair set in that I lost my deposit, and lost my precious cloths.

This struggle caused me to locate a trouser maker in Athens, at 1/10 his prices. An artisan who is honest, quick, picks up the phone when I call, instead of having someone else greeting you with "Pronto". An artisan who has given me the best fitting and looking trousers ever.

I understand the allure of having a famous trouser maker commission something special for you. I earned for it as I felt I could justify his high cost compared to the astronomically high prices of using travelling English tailors. But don't kid yourself, there are other trouser makers out there who can provide an excellent product.

I even got suckered into his few e-mails noting the item was ready for delivery (even though I found out later he never even cut my cloth). I offered to pay the full amount due and never tried to renegotiate the price. I just wanted my ******* pants

I did get my entire deposit and cloth back (which he never even used after sitting at his shop for 2 years). He is not a thief. He was just dishonest in not delivering what he promised

He manned up and apologized for this. Even though he first tried to guilt trip me that he was finally coming back and that the pants would finally be ready. I didn't believe him, and in fact he didn't return when promised.

He finally did return to my city, 2 years later, and I offered to pick up my returned deposit in person. But he finally transfered my money back, I assume to avoid having a disgruntled customer seen by potential new ones, and he told he did not want to see me at the new place.

And to think, I was stupid enough to take him out for dinner and show him around town. No good deed goes unpunished

I have read Solito (who once travelled with him to make jackets) pulled some similar **** on folks in NY. But that eventually, folks got their jackets. Its a shame that birds of the feather flock together. Perhaps Salvatore learned from Solito that this Neopolitan way of doing business with overseas buyers had little adverse consequences.

I didn't derserve this treatment, nor did many guys who trusted this dishonest man with our cloth, our money, our hopes and dreams....and our ******* precious time.

My one highlight, Salvatore was the first person to defriend me on FB. How sad :slayer:

Let the buyer beware. Caveat Emptor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just to be clear, my post was in response to Jensen, who said that anyone who buys from Salvatore now must be a masochist or a sucker. It obviously wasn't to be flippant about what Michael went through.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jensen was commenting on michaels story...

I agree with Jensen. I wouldn't want to commission anything from Ambrosi after hearing michaels story. Idling for 2 years...

Is there anything particularly special about ambrosi's pants? Why do people still come back?

Doesn't NSM do pants for like half the price?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jensen was commenting on michaels story...

I agree with Jensen. I wouldn't want to commission anything from Ambrosi after hearing michaels story. Idling for 2 years...

Is there anything particularly special about ambrosi's pants? Why do people still come back?

Doesn't NSM do pants for like half the price?

1. I said most, which does not mean every single traveling tailor. It just means most. Yes, NSM prices are less than Ambrosi's.

2. The stuff I've seen by Ambrosi have been nice looking. This doesn't mean that he makes the best pants in the world. Yes, other tailors make nice pants.

3. If you're already paying the prices that traveling English tailors charge, Ambrosi's prices are at least on par, if not cheaper, than them.

4. I don't discount Michael's story. But I was told that I would receive a fitting in two months, and my pants before Christmas. Seems like a reasonable turnaround to me. And if any issues come up, I can contact my credit card. Like everyone else who is ordering right now.

5. I've also heard from a couple of reliable sources that there are two sides to the fight between Foo and Amrbosi, but people who know have stayed away from this thread because they think it's become a clusterfuck.

6. The fight between Foo and Ambrosi is different from the fight between Ambrosi and many of his other customers, who have expressed discontent in this thread and others. As as I understand it, he has a small operation (which I can confirm, as I saw it) and demand quickly outpaced production capacity. So, some orders got lost in the midst of all that. Things seem to be under control now, as growth has been steady, rather than exploding. So, turnaround times seem to be more reliable.

7. TBH, I kind of find the pile on at this point kind of tiring. Not people who have legitimate issues with Ambrosi, of course. But just people who want to pile in in this kind of "me too-ism," where they just want to echo other people's concerns.

8. I don't really understand why you're concerned with other people's purchases, esp since Ambrosi hasn't wronged you personally.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you folks (that commission 'brosi pants) request bottoms below the knee that are not so severely tapered, or is the taper part of the affection you have for these pants? Personally I think the taper looks terrible. I look at the Armoury tumblr and there are all these folks wearing amazing jackets with ridiculous trousers (with exceptions, of course...). I get the quality, but the styling looks off...

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Naples in September and it never entered my mind to get
pants from Ambrosi given his record of a few years back. In fact,
I visited no tailors but contented myself with sighseeing and eating
fabulous food.

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Certainly didn't mean to suggest you can't use your own card...

I was just interested in what makes Ambrosi pants so special... sounds like not a whole lot compared to NSM etc.

Some people like the collect suits and SC's from different artisans/manufacturers. Perfectly fine.

2. The stuff I've seen by Ambrosi have been nice looking. This doesn't mean that he makes the best pants in the world. Yes, other tailors make nice pants.

4. I don't discount Michael's story. But I was told that I would receive a fitting in two months, and my pants before Christmas. Seems like a reasonable turnaround to me. And if any issues come up, I can contact my credit card. Like everyone else who is ordering right now.

7. TBH, I kind of find the pile on at this point kind of tiring. Not people who have legitimate issues with Ambrosi, of course. But just people who want to pile in in this kind of "me too-ism," where they just want to echo other people's concerns.

8. I don't really understand why you're concerned with other people's purchases, esp since Ambrosi hasn't wronged you personally.

Last edited:

dfoverdx

Reaction score
Not only with Ambrosi but with many local tailors in Naples the rule is simple; just don't focus on exact fitting or delivery times. Let the process go on, it may take 2 months, 3 months etc. The guy may say he will ship your pants/suit in september but don't get pissed off if you don't receive it in September you may receive it in October or November or even maybe December. This is the golden rule. Given the structure of tailoring business it's 100% normal that the guy may not respect his engagements in time. If you are running a big business you can hire people and increase your production for a given time but this is not something that you can do with bespoke tailoring and everybody can have some personal problems in the life.
I had two pants from Ambrosi last year and he delivered quickly. They are ok. They are very well finished but i don't like that much the cut. Solito cuts much better my pants.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do any of you folks (that commission 'brosi pants) request bottoms below the knee that are not so severely tapered, or is the taper part of the affection you have for these pants? Personally I think the taper looks terrible. I look at the Armoury tumblr and there are all these folks wearing amazing jackets with ridiculous trousers (with exceptions, of course...). I get the quality, but the styling looks off...
One thing that I think Ambrosi does extremely well is get the tapering right. What he made is me is comfortable but looks slim. Everything I've seen on the Armoury guys seems I be the same. Tailored, sharp perhaps but well within the pale of reasonable. FWIW I think that's one advantage that modern trousers have over golden age ones.

nioh

Reaction score
Don't get the Ambrosi v NSM comparison, been a client of both for many years and Ambrosi are leagues above NSM. Not gonna rain on anyone's parade, but anyone who says NSM's trousers are similar or better than Salva's need to re-evaluate the meaning of fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads