• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for the issues on other clients, show me any bespoke tailor who has a 100% customer satisfaction rate, I wager you can't.

I think this is a bit of a straw man, and you know it. No one has ever claimed that other tailors have a 100% satisfaction rate, but that other tailors treat their clients with respect, not contempt (“nano head”), respond promptly to emails / inquiries, deliver as promised, and don’t simply jettison their existing clients for higher-paying ones in warmer climes.

FWIW, Ambrosi did deliver my pants but took waaaaayyyyy longer than promised (10-12 months!), with unnecessary angst in the interim as he refused to answer dozens of emails / calls. He did, however, also help me finally get my coat from Solito, for which I remain thankful. The final pants were nice, but frankly just not worth the trouble.

I genuinely think Salvatore is a nice guy, and not a disingenuous twit like the younger Solito. But pretending that the above never happened, or was simply an aberration, does a disservice to this forum.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You make good points but none that I was disputing in my original post.

Sure there were (and continue to be) a bunch pissed off, maltreated Ambrosi customers. I'm not pretending that isn't the case.

My basic premise is that similar stories (perhaps based on different grudges or forms of mistreatment) exist with just about every small traveling tailor (and many of the big houses, for that matter) that I can name.

Doesn't make what Salvatore did right, but IMHO it's not all that unique.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think it is nowhere the same situation... Finollo is not small shop and has a large history, if you read the whole story you see that the client is largely at fault....

Not placing blame or saying it's the same situation, just saying that quite often I have seen these types of engagements end in disappointment.

Sorry if you guys don't see a trend.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Was Finollo hyped at all on SF? I never heard of them here, can't even remember where I got to know them. I think Vox posted something on his Tumblr a few years ago.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Was Finollo hyped at all on SF? I never heard of them here, can't even remember where I got to know them. I think Vox posted something on his Tumblr a few years ago.

They're thought of as one of the best shirtmakers in Italy by many. An opinion that has been around for a lot longer than SF. Honestly I think Finollo was underplayed here due to Matuozzo: multiple senior members used her/had stories of "the best shirts in the world." So it's less that Finollo had a bad name here (or elsewhere) and more that there were other, more popular "flavors of the iGent" being readily discussed.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finollo never went after the igents,they had the reputation and charged silly prices before the internet was something people understood. Their website only went up very recently.

This guy went after the brand like regular people do with designers, then send them a shirt to copy (to one of the most established bespoke shirtmaker in the world charging 650 euro a shirt...) then I am speculating here based on the messages he post on theses forum, filled their email boxes with emails after emails, then something went wrong, coupled with me questioning why he was going after this maker instead of seeking better value, he decided to firs cancel one shirt then the second shirt, and to finish off ask them to send the shirt back via regular post, to which any business would have convinced themselves to be dealing with a clueless nutter and to avoid further trouble, refuse any other request.

Last edited:

Stugotes

Reaction score
They're thought of as one of the best shirtmakers in Italy by many. An opinion that has been around for a lot longer than SF. Honestly I think Finollo was underplayed here due to Matuozzo: multiple senior members used her/had stories of "the best shirts in the world." So it's less that Finollo had a bad name here (or elsewhere) and more that there were other, more popular "flavors of the iGent" being readily discussed.

That's kinda what I meant; I remember the thread in which Foo stated that his AM shirts came apart and all that, but never read anything (positive or negative) about Finollo on SF. I came across them years ago when I saw one of their beautiful ties and then again when Vox posted a video.

In any case, I thought about paying them a visit in Genova to check out their stuff, but after reading they charge 650€ for a bespoke shirt they seem like yet another Italian name living off their pedigree to appeal to rich Russians and Chinese who are willing to pay higher prices just for the sake of it. Good for them (Finollo), but not very pleasant for my taste. Not that they care...

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not placing blame or saying it's the same situation, just saying that quite often I have seen these types of engagements end in disappointment.

Sorry if you guys don't see a trend.

Really? You consider the horendous service / behavior of Ambrosi (verified by multiple members) to be directly comparable to one nutter's post on Finollo.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My basic premise is that similar stories (perhaps based on different grudges or forms of mistreatment) exist with just about every small traveling tailor (and many of the big houses, for that matter) that I can name.

Doesn't make what Salvatore did right, but IMHO it's not all that unique.

I have tried quite a few bespoke artisans (tailors, shirtmakers, shoemakers) in the U.S, Europe and Asia and have been disappointed with several. But none of them took more than a year longer than promised / acceptable, blithely ignored my attempts at contact, and then proceeded to insult clients publicly.

So, yes – Ambrosi is unique.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jeez...no I consider working with offshore and/or largely unknown tailors (hyped by high ranking SFers or not) a total crap shoot. And as long as SFers continue to engage in these activities there will be much disappointment.

That is all.

Last edited:

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So, yes – Ambrosi is unique.
OK. I hope folks continue to order from these types of operations as it provides hours of comic relief when they go ape-**** about it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I consider working with offshore and/or largely unknown tailors (hyped by high ranking SFers or not) a total crap shoot. And as long as SFers continue to engage in these activities there will be much disappointment.
Yeah, sure - thanks for the iWisdom.
rolleyes.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, sure - thanks for the iWisdom. :rolleyes:

Another worthless post drawn from a seemingly endless supply. Oh, that's right you have tried everyone in the world which makes you super special.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads