• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alter my sportcoat

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, in an effort to better my fit... I am going to take this sportcoat to the tailor today.

What alterations would you have performed?

Fit-1.jpg

Fit-2.jpg

Fit-3.jpg

Fit-4.jpg

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Lengthen the sleeves.
2. Smooth out the back across the shoulders.
3. Maybe -- maybe -- slim the sleeves.
4. Enjoy.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sleeves do look very short in the first flick!

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm obsessive-compulsive when it comes to tailoring so I'd do the following:

1. Take in the jacket from the middle seam, because the shoulders and the back are too wide.
2. Lengthen the sleeves.
3. Clean up the back.
4. Maybe slim it down a bit, but it's hard to tell.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So do you think those sort of "creases" on the back are due to the shoulders being too... wide?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the creases on the back at the armpit are because the shoulders of the jacket are too square for your shoulders, which appear to be sloped. RTW jackets often have really square shoulders. a lot of men, for different reasons, have one or two sloped shoulders. those wrinkles are really common out in the wild.

looks like you are right handed. right shoulder is dropped. both shoulders are sloped though.

make sure you have a really good alterations tailor before you ask him or her to touch the center back seam.

my advice is lengthen the sleeves if you like and leave it alone otherwise. it is what it is, and it is not bad. it is a sport coat and some ill fit is more tolerable on casual clothing. save your alterations money and put it toward a better fitting coat next time.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
as long as we're on the topic... that grey speckled sportscoat you wore a few days ago and posted pics in the WAYW... I think it might be workable in some sort of outfit, but I can't help recomending just to drop it out of your rotation. It just looks old and stuffy to me. You have a few much nicer sportscoats IIRC, so why not wear those ones more often instead? SF likes things short, but when the bodies are fairly structured and bulky, sleeves that are just too short (especially with low armholes) just don't match well. In short, I'm suggesting you take it easy on how short you go with your sportscoat sleeves in general.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
looks like you are right handed. right shoulder is dropped. both shoulders are sloped though. make sure you have a really good alterations tailor before you ask him or her to touch the center back seam. my advice is lengthen the sleeves if you like and leave it alone otherwise. it is what it is, and it is not bad. it is a sport coat and some ill fit is more tolerable on casual clothing. save your alterations money and put it toward a better fitting coat next time.
Well, this was a cheap (albeit nice) Zegna wool/cashmere thing I got off eBay. I do like my alterations lady, she runs a one-person hole-in-the-wall place, but I have never had her do anything but lengthen sleeves. Given that, should I go ahead and let her have a shot at this thing, with the knowledge that I'd only be out like $40 if she ruins it? That was sort of the goal of this thread, to get a list of requests I could throw at this lady and see how she handles it. And you are absolutely right about my shoulders. They're sloped, and sloped unevenly. Tailors have told me this (good ones, at Ascot Chang).
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
as long as we're on the topic... that grey speckled sportscoat you wore a few days ago and posted pics in the WAYW... I think it might be workable in some sort of outfit, but I can't help recomending just to drop it out of your rotation. It just looks old and stuffy to me. You have a few much nicer sportscoats IIRC, so why not wear those ones more often instead? SF likes things short, but when the bodies are fairly structured and bulky, sleeves that are just too short (especially with low armholes) just don't match well. In short, I'm suggesting you take it easy on how short you go with your sportscoat sleeves in general.
Yeah, after looking at that tweed (from 1963) in the pics, it doesn't look good on me. I do have many much nicer sportcoats. I need to take a lot of thrifted crap out of my rotation. Also, yeah, I really just have a lot of pre-SF sportcoats that need the sleeves lengthened. I have long arms (I wear a 16/35 shirt) so the sleeves on very few sportcoats are long enough by default, and anything used rarely ever is. Also, thanks to everybody for the advice! I'll take this in on Monday.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eazy e lover