• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from the AE thread:
Got my shipping notification for the MD chukkas :bounce2:

Shipped FedEx SmartPost :cloud:

Hopefully NJ-->NC won't be bad...

I thought I'd seen folks say that they shipped from AE directly?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine arrived (cross-post from the AE thread from yesterday)

My MassDrop Chukkas arrived today!
4p4NVtZ.jpg

uwF12NN.jpg

I've seen a few complains about cuts/marks in the suede, but I don't appear to have any of those on either pair- the leather looks great. One heel has a nail pattern that comes close to the edge - not concerned about that. Two other complaints I've seen are also present in mine:
  • They smell pretty strongly of glue or something like it, especially the chocolate pair. Considering a single sole and no lining, I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe it is just part of C.F. Stead's tanning, but it seems like it would be something more construction-related.
  • They both have a pretty visible toe puff (think Armedferret also noted this on his). It is crooked on one of the snuff shoes. I'm not sure what to think about this. If it "wears in" and becomes less of an obvious line, I don't care. If it becomes more prominent, I'm concerned. It seems like I read somewhere that this was new for this run (might be wrong), but either way I'd like to hear from some other folks, especially any time-on-the-feet perspectives.
Overall, I'm pretty smitten. They are slipper-like in terms of comfort. I mean that literally. I don't know about walking yet, but they are just plain softness on my foot in a quick try-on. I think I've got a bit of a high-volume foot, so I'm not sure they close as much as one might like. I think I don't care.

kentyman

Reaction score
They smell pretty strongly of glue or something like it, especially the chocolate pair. Considering a single sole and no lining, I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe it is just part of C.F. Stead's tanning, but it seems like it would be something more construction-related.

Mine smelled like waterproofer to me, so I tested them under the sink. Yep, they've definitely been waterproofed!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some comments on Reddit that it begins to disappear/collapse as you wear it (which I understand is what unlined shoes are supposed to do). I'm going to eyeball the snuff pair again this morning, and probably wear them.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a silly question but shoe trees are a yay or nay with an unlined shoe like this?
I'd vote "yay" with the qualification that they shouldn't be overlarge. I think this leather is hardier than we think, but I'd want to avoid risk if stretching. There isn't creasing or vamp shape to worry about here, but the desiccant effect of the trees is still the main benefit. I do think some structure between wears isn't a bad thing.

My Woodlore Epic trees fit well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads