• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Heat

Reaction score
All are good choices. The Carlyle and Strand are on different lasts (8 v. 5) so pick the one that offers the best fit. The Carlyle will work with dress pants. Another alternative: given that you mentioned the Fifth Avenue, which is available in dark chili, rather than oxblood: the Nathan, which is the AE for JosABank version of the Fifth Avenue on the 8 last is available in burgundy (and it is definitely burgundy, although it appears to be black on the JosBank.com website).

I had forgotten about AE at Jos Banks, but when I went to check, it looks like they don't carry AE anymore? No big deal, I think I'll head over to the AE store and chose Strand vs. Carlyle by fit. Thanks all for the input, I'll post results.

alexnb

Reaction score
Quote:
I think the Carlyle is actually the most formal shoe AE offers. however, the Park Ave is definitely the #2.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My choice of a formal style:
The Stragnard - a red & green striped cxl bal, with lambskin lining and a full vibram lug sole, offered as a limited time webgem for Christmas, available only during the month of July.

FaRKle

Reaction score
I'm surprised they recommend the Strand in walnut as their dressiest cap-toe. Wouldn't that be the Park Ave in black?
Great deal, but the Fifth Ave is more formal than Park Ave? I would say it doesn't get more formal than the Park. And although I love the Manistee belt, its a bit much for an interview requiring the formality of the Park Ave. Thoughts?

I wouldn't say that "dressy" == formal, reads more like "stylish" to me. It does say in the description that the PA is more conservative.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my light brown Freiburgs today. This might be my favorite AE boot I have. The leather is kind of rough, but not sueded (except the toe is smooth). These are similar to my Cascades as far as leather goes. I don't know if I am going to put any AE Leather Lotion on these - it might really darken the leather given the rough surface.

Fit wise I went with my usual AE size - 9.5D. These fit very nice having just tried them on and walked a very short distance. I think they will fit even better with my AE casual rib socks I will probably be wearing with these. I have the Odenwald in 9D (one of 2 AE's I have that isn't 9.5D) and it feels much larger than the Freiburg in 9.5D.

Here are the pics with sunlight filtered through a window shade.
Freiburg1.jpg

Freiburg2.jpg

Freiburg3.jpg

Freiburg4.jpg

Chris

nbj08

Reaction score

Just received my light brown Freiburgs today. This might be my favorite AE boot I have. The leather is kind of rough, but not sueded (except the toe is smooth). These are similar to my Cascades as far as leather goes. I don't know if I am going to put any AE Leather Lotion on these - it might really darken the leather given the rough surface.

Fit wise I went with my usual AE size - 9.5D. These fit very nice having just tried them on and walked a very short distance. I think they will fit even better with my AE casual rib socks I will probably be wearing with these. I have the Odenwald in 9D (one of 2 AE's I have that isn't 9.5D) and it feels much larger than the Freiburg in 9.5D.

Chris

Wow, those look great. May have just sold me on 'em...

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Freiburg1.jpg

Freiburg2.jpg

Freiburg3.jpg

Freiburg4.jpg

Chris

Thanks for sharing. As usual, pics here look far better than what's on the website. I'm seriously considering a pair in russet brown. Much as I like the Sauk Drive, it would be completely superfluous in my line-up. These, however, would be much more practical.

Now to decide between ordering new and risking a $10 return fee on seconds ...

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell Patriot at DFW awaiting a flight to BOS. Great travel shoe and the only loafer I've been able to make work. They are almost 3 yrs old now.

Scarlet

Reaction score

Aw dang! I just finished taking pics of mine and you beat me to the post.

Are yours seconds too? I'm concerned about the hugely loose grain around the ankles, but I think I see a little bit on yours too.

Other than than I like them, but I'm thinking about returning them. I don't know if I need three different shades of ankle boots or if I should be saving for something different (like Player 2s or a full boot).

Last edited:

nbj08

Reaction score

Are yours seconds too? I'm concerned about the hugely loose grain around the ankles, but I think I see a little bit on yours too.

Other than than I like them, but I'm thinking about returning them. I don't know if I need three different shades of ankle boots or if I should be saving for something different (like Player 2s or a full boot).

We'd love to see pics of yours, too! Especially the area you perceive to make them seconds.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine are firsts. I don't mind some wrinkling around the ankles - I figure boots are going to do that no matter what. So I am good with these.

aejc

Reaction score

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob's Chili Charles Streets (basically the Cornwallis with a few modifications):

I really like the shoes but am not sold on the 1943 last and am still thinking about whether the fit is going to work...

harlequin782

Reaction score

Freiburg1.jpg

Freiburg2.jpg

Freiburg3.jpg

Freiburg4.jpg

Chris

Thanks for the pics man.

MUFCreddevil

Reaction score

Freiburg1.jpg

Freiburg2.jpg

Freiburg3.jpg

Freiburg4.jpg

Chris

I was just going to see if anyone had pics of this boot!

Looks fantastic!!

I only have the 65 last bal and I wear 12.5 D. I tried Daltons in 13D and 12E and the 12E was a better fit. The E would give about a 1/2 in length correct?? That's what the SA told me at the AE store. I would assume 12E for these then too correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads