• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Any experience with the heel insole insert peeling on Dainite-soled AE shoes? The little pad that gets slapped over the insole at the heel only in Dainite versions.

It is peeling at one corner in one of my Strands. Seems like some glue would take care of it but I'm not sure what type would be best. Or is this a have a cobbler do it kind of job. I would hate to send them to AE for a repair for something so minor. They're great otherwise.

rskula

Reaction score
Decided to send my Jermyn 2nds in for their 1st Recraft, well was really forced to by the hole in the sole. I have 7 pairs of AEs and the leather soles have only been lasting a year when in the rotation. I experimented with the double leathers which took forever to break in and this time I thought I would give the Red Dainite soles a try. I now work at a more casual workplace and the new soles make them less formal, in my opinion. To get the edge dressing the way I wanted, I just printed out the side view of the Addisons and packed it with the Recraft form.

The shoes came back way lighter and the Saphire toe shine was substantially diminished. I am happy with the Recraft and that the shoes came back lighter. The new tassels were a nice addition. They also glued in a new half leather sole in each of the shoes.

If I were a nitpicker, I would also point out that the welts could have been finished better where they seem, the bottom Daintie heal on the left shoe was 1 millimeter wider than the rest of the heal stack on the notch side and on the same heal stack it was not perfectly ground round.

itzafugasi

Reaction score
Funny..I just got chili mcgregor firsts with dianite sole and my left shoe eyelet is also misaligned just like yours. Right shoe is perfect. And I also see a significant difference in fit from last year's mcgregor (I have a brown suede pair) where this new version has a lot more ball width and space above my toes.

Last edited:

velomatt

Reaction score
For those who are traumatized when leather does what leather does and who then make bizarre comments about leather doing what leather does, a recent post on the subject by Justin Fitzpatrick on his blog......

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2015/10/remember-leather-creases-plain-and-simple.html

Thanks for this post. It is somewhat reassuring.

I didn't have a big problem with the creasing, so much as I found it odd that one shoe had it and the other didn't. I recognize that it is most likely just my different sized/shaped feat, or how they flex/move... but it still makes you scratch your head when you look down and see the two shoes reacting differently to the same wear.

Last edited:

Robertson

Reaction score
Decided to send my Jermyn 2nds in for their 1st Recraft, well was really forced to by the hole in the sole. I have 7 pairs of AEs and the leather soles have only been lasting a year when in the rotation. I experimented with the double leathers which took forever to break in and this time I thought I would give the Red Dainite soles a try. I now work at a more casual workplace and the new soles make them less formal, in my opinion. To get the edge dressing the way I wanted, I just printed out the side view of the Addisons and packed it with the Recraft form.

Do you think the Danite is a better option than going for Toppies or the combination tap?

shoenoobie

Reaction score

Fifth Avenue Chili. Shined and first wear!

22busy

Reaction score

For those who are traumatized when leather does what leather does and who then make bizarre comments about leather doing what leather does, a recent post on the subject by Justin Fitzpatrick on his blog......

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2015/10/remember-leather-creases-plain-and-simple.html

Thanks for posting this. I always enjoy your informative contributions. I love the creases in my Carlyles. I never understood the expectation that leather shoes should remain un-creased. Creases give them character and make them uniquely yours.

HealthActuary

Reaction score
Snuff Suede Dundee 2.0s are coming in tomorrow.

I decided to waterproof the suede belt after speaking with AE Customer Service who strongly believes it will not stain clothing if any transfer were to occur.

SOOO EXCITED!

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers black Strands today, which have two of my favorite things, a Poiron insole and partially rubber soles. They also originally had partially rubber heels, but I replaced the heels with all rubber heels before I wore the shoes.

I got these a few years ago, before Brooks Brothers (the "Italian Department Store" as one well-known writer calls Brooks Brothers) decided that they didn't want to sell shoes to me anymore and stopped carrying my size. Now I have to hope that Allen-Edmonds decides to make a style that I want with Poiron insoles and with any kind of rubber sole and heel.

LanceM

Reaction score
Rush streets today. I had loafer socks was going to wear Addisons, but last second change of mind.
Snuff Suede Dundee 2.0s are coming in tomorrow.

I decided to waterproof the suede belt after speaking with AE Customer Service who strongly believes it will not stain clothing if any transfer were to occur.

SOOO EXCITED!

That's great. My suede Dundees are super comfy.

Rush streets today. I had loafer socks was going to wear Addisons, but last second change of mind.

LanceM

Reaction score

Looks good. How much daily wear/walking do your shoes see?

rskula

Reaction score
Do you think the Danite is a better option than going for Toppies or the combination tap?
I have not tried the combination sole yet but it will be my next Recraft choice for my Strands.The cobblers here in Dallas tend to do more harm than good. I would rather Recraft with AE then risk it with these guys or spend the extra expense of B Nelson. I will have to see how the Danite prevails on this experiment. So far so good, sturdy and has a bit of the leather sole sound when walking. Less gummy then the Vibram white soles that came on my suede Strand Mocs 3 years ago. Those soles are still going though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads