• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A PPC inspired shot of the snuff suede Neumok (RIP).

Yet another example of AE loading up a bal/Oxford with casual elements (unlined, relatively light color, storm welt, light edge).

I wish I understood their thought process. Still, I like them very much, though cavalry twill pants and tweed is about as formal as I go with them.

In the interest of science and color comparison, be informed the Micky D's coffee lid is the new lighter milk chocolate brown, not the darker brown.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got some Long Branch boots in golden brown CXL. The AE site recommends using either their Leather Lotion or Saddle Soap for cleaning and conditioning them. I had some Saddle Soap kicking around and figured I'd give it a shot. The soap works great, except that it collects inside all the holes in the brogues and dries there, leaving a white ring of residue. For those of you who saddle soap it up on your shoes, how do you get that remainder out of those holes at the end? I may start alternating between the Lotion and the Soap, but I figure there's got to be some way to deal with it. A small horsehair brush, perhaps? Or, maybe I'm just being heavy-handed with the amount of soap I'm using. Dunno.

Anybody got any suggestions at all?

rob0990

Reaction score
I just received the golden brown long branches that I ordered during the RDA. I put them on and am thinking I have to take them back. I don't have experience purchasing boots, but it definitely looks like the first eyelets don't line up, especially the right boot. (please excuse the wool socks and bare leg)

If you received these as firsts, would you keep them?

I just received a new pair of chili mcgregors and have the same problem. Eyelets on the left shoe are way off. The top of the blucher is also missing the black piping that is shown on the AE site. WTF happened to their quality control?

velomatt

Reaction score
How much of this could be the leather getting deformed while in the box, and needing some time to relax back to the right position. I agree those eyelets look pretty bad when you are looking for it. May not be noticeable in passing on someone else's shoes. But they should make you happy, and you'll probably be obsessed with them every time you looked down.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(shell) Townley Thursday:

Will also post some BCF finds shortly.

Dd1101

Reaction score
Need help. Just got these shell strands first qual. Tried them on walked and this happened

Robertson

Reaction score
I have a pair of seconds with the eye-hole problem. If I noticed it on the firsts, I'd send them back.

Flytrout

Reaction score
I just received a pair of chili McGregors myself (from the shoe bank). As far as defects, they look pretty good. My question is this-how do you know when a shoe is too big? I wear a 10 D in the both Strand and Mcallister. The SA said to order the same in the McGregor. They actual feel good but there is a ton of room over my toes. When I lace them the heal doesn't slip but my toes are swimming in the end. I'm worried they will develop some strange creases because of that. Perhaps a blutcher just doesn't work for me or should I go down a size/width?

gatszu

Reaction score
Looks like some coating AE added on top of the shell to finish. I usually remove all finishing on AE shell cordovan with damp towel. Expect a lot of stuff to come off. Then after that, I brush with horsehair brush to get a shine
Need help. Just got these shell strands first qual. Tried them on walked and this happened

Dread Toodee

Reaction score
If your heel is snug and your mid-foot / arch feel like it's being held firmly [ as in cupping hands ], then your toes can be "free'. This sounds to me like an excellent fit.

RLeslieS

Reaction score
I just received a pair of chili McGregors myself (from the shoe bank). As far as defects, they look pretty good. My question is this-how do you know when a shoe is too big? I wear a 10 D in the both Strand and Mcallister. The SA said to order the same in the McGregor. They actual feel good but there is a ton of room over my toes. When I lace them the heal doesn't slip but my toes are swimming in the end. I'm worried they will develop some strange creases because of that. Perhaps a blutcher just doesn't work for me or should I go down a size/width?
---------------------------

I would try going down a width. Maybe a size too, but I couldn't tell from your post whether they were too long.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are those BCF finds. Not as exciting as some of dukeellington's finds.

These were priced at 34.99, probably got them confused with Sperry's
tounge.gif
. I'm thinking of keeping these (even though I'm an Astros fan). I've kinda shied away from boat shoes with those hard rubber soles, but these soles are kinda spongy:

These are "First baseman". They have no team logo. The ones above are "Center fielders". I think they were red tagged because they're missing a shoe lace. I may give these to my cousin since they are kinda snug for me.

Last edited:

shoelover

Reaction score
couple more pics of old black cherry shell. the comparison pic 2nd is a vintage Florsheim burgundy shell. this fit me perfect, and the color is all but extinct, but a tiny tear has started to develop in them
frown.gif

That is an awesome color. Sorry about the tear. If the used Monks I just bought were at one time 'black cherry' can they be stripped back down to that color or are they black forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads