• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaRKle

Reaction score
Does anyone know if AE will make their newer "limited sizes run" shoes in some of the full range sizes? I just got a pair of Lexingtons in 7.5 EEE and think a 7 EEE might fit better. AE doesn't make this size normally for this shoe though. Do you think they'll do it for me without charging me an extra $40 for SMU?

Last edited:

kcwells

Reaction score
Got my new pair of Cognac Dublin McTavish's in the mail. Love the color and leather.

On the bottom of one of the shoes, they fully missed the channel for a few inches in two places when they stitched the soles onto the shoes. Wondering if you guys think this warrants exchanging them? Note that these are firsts, not seconds.

The channel is there to submerge the stitch below the level of the leather so the stitching doesn't directly wear on the ground, so ordinarily I would think it'd be a bigger deal. But as you can see in the pic, this is on the back of the sole where it arches up to the heel, which hardly ever has the chance to come into contact with the ground.

Would you send these back or just wear them?

Cheers,
Kevin

shoenoobie

Reaction score
So I have these loafers, I got them roughly 9 months ago but they were only worn feb-mid may, 1-2 times a week if that. (Havent worn them since then until yesterday) I realized that the two leather soles on the left foot have been separated. Not sure if this is a problem with the welt or just regular wear. I have another pair of allen edmonds that has seen more wear and worse condition (i wore them in rain and even slush) and the soles havent separated. When i reached out to allen edmonds the customer service rep kind of implied that it was because of wear.I think its more than that because the left shoe is fine and has about equal wear.

You need them resoled. 1000%. I agree that it is wearing that made it split. Seriously, get the resoled!

shoenoobie

Reaction score
Got my new pair of Cognac Dublin McTavish's in the mail. Love the color and leather.

On the bottom of one of the shoes, they fully missed the channel for a few inches in two places when they stitched the soles onto the shoes. Wondering if you guys think this warrants exchanging them? Note that these are firsts, not seconds.

The channel is there to submerge the stitch below the level of the leather so the stitching doesn't directly wear on the ground, so ordinarily I would think it'd be a bigger deal. But as you can see in the pic, this is on the back of the sole where it arches up to the heel, which hardly ever has the chance to come into contact with the ground.

Would you send these back or just wear them?

Cheers,
Kevin

I would just wear them if everything else is PERFECT. If you find bad color or any other bad stitching, I would exchange it. No one can blame ya for returning of course!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my new pair of Cognac Dublin McTavish's in the mail. Love the color and leather. On the bottom of one of the shoes, they fully missed the channel for a few inches in two places when they stitched the soles onto the shoes. Wondering if you guys think this warrants exchanging them? Note that these are firsts, not seconds. The channel is there to submerge the stitch below the level of the leather so the stitching doesn't directly wear on the ground, so ordinarily I would think it'd be a bigger deal. But as you can see in the pic, this is on the back of the sole where it arches up to the heel, which hardly ever has the chance to come into contact with the ground. Would you send these back or just wear them? Cheers, Kevin
These look great! Wear 'em
1f44d.png

HealthActuary

Reaction score

Not acceptable for first quality. Looks like I'll be waiting another 4 weeks.

F*** man... UGHH

Last edited:

shoenoobie

Reaction score

Not acceptable for first quality. Looks like I'll be waiting another 4 weeks.

F*** man... UGHH

Even the suede leather finish itself is terrible. Wow. Seriously since RDA, quality has been dramatically down.

HealthActuary

Reaction score
Even the suede leather finish itself is terrible. Wow. Seriously since RDA, quality has been dramatically down.
Like how does a scratch that deep even happen??

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand something here. This is the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread, right?
If you have a defect, or you're unhappy with your shoe, and you already know that you plan to send it back, why are you posting on this thread?
Why not take care of the issue by yourself? Why do we feel the need to broadcast our unhappiness here? You can post a picture when you get the shoe you're happy with.
Or maybe someone can start a new thread just for people who feel the need to complain about their shoes.

HealthActuary

Reaction score
I don't understand something here. This is the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread, right?
If you have a defect, or you're unhappy with your shoe, and you already know that you plan to send it back, why are you posting on this thread?
Why not take care of the issue by yourself? Why do we feel the need to broadcast our unhappiness here? You can post a picture when you get the shoe you're happy with.
Or maybe someone can start a new thread just for people who feel the need to complain about their shoes.
I have shown a lot of appreciation for Allen Edmonds in this thread.

If you have an issue with me, feel free to send me a private message so we can sort things out!

Last edited:

xxxRacer

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how this happened? May I ask the obvious questions first? 1) Who "refinished"the shoe when the one was lighter than the other? 2) Are you sure that you used creme FOR Cordovan rather than Cordovan-colored creme for calf leather? 3) Did the shoe get wet?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My comment was not directed at one person.
It's my opinion, and I just don't like the direction that I've seen this thread taking.
Let's right this ship.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm  not quite sure how this happened? May I ask the obvious questions first?  1) Who "refinished"the shoe when the one was lighter than the other? 2) Are you sure that you used creme FOR Cordovan  rather than Cordovan-colored creme for calf leather? 3) Did the shoe get wet? 

Was this comment meant for the shoe care thread?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's fair to point out specific problems with actual purchases.

What I don't like to see (and what we don't get too much of here, compared to every other SF thread) is the blanket brand bashing, or trolling. Most of SF is rather anti-AE, and it's nice that too much of that doesn't happen here. That doesn't mean we all have to overlook when things fall short. Hell questions and complaints even happen in the Edward Green thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads