• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Dente

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the chili edge dressing on the Leeds?

That's a dumb question.... they look great! Did you sand off the black or did they come that way? I have a couple pair I would like to convert from black, but I'm not the handiest of people.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since I've seen the Cornwallis mentioned quite a bit recently, I thought I'd share mine.
Fine-looking shoe, but something about it lacks coherence to my eye. Is it regular calf or Indy calf? What last is it on? It's got a nice silhouette.

Last edited:

rpearlberg

Reaction score
I have a pair of Strand and McTavish in 11D. I had a pair of Fifth Ave in 11D that fit well, but sent them back for another issue and they sent me a new pair. The new pair seemed roomier in the heel area and slipped and made a squeaking noise. They then sent me a pair of Park Ave and the same thing happened. What size should I try next to prevent the roomier heel area? Should I try another 11D and maybe it was just made differently?

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a dumb question.... they look great!  Did you sand off the black or did they come that way?  I have a couple pair I would like to convert from black, but I'm not the handiest of people.
Thanks! I just sanded them down with a #180 and the #320 sand paper I had at home. Then black on the welt and the chili on the the edge.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just notice a new change on the shoebank site, there is shipping charge for order less than $100. This is a new policy, matching the main site.

I think this has been in place from the shoebank for a while. I know several months ago I added some trees to an order to get it above $100 to get the free shipping.

tharkun

Reaction score

What do you guys think of the chili edge dressing on the Leeds?

Awesome. I love the Leeds. I think it looks great in general and this just looks extra good. Care to shoot a pic with some nice pants that work with it? ;)

tharkun

Reaction score
And to prove it, these just arrived today from the shoebank:

Leeds 1.0 in Walnut Burnished. I can't really see anything wrong with them. I think someone tried them on before as there was ever so slight creasing on the vamps. Other than that their finish looks better than the first quality brown ones I got last month (on clearance).

jubu

Reaction score

I have a pair of Strand and McTavish in 11D.  I had a pair of Fifth Ave in 11D that fit well, but sent them back for another issue and they sent me a new pair.  The new pair seemed roomier in the heel area and slipped and made a squeaking noise.  They then sent me a pair of Park Ave and the same thing happened.  What size should I try next to prevent the roomier heel area?  Should I try another 11D and maybe it was just made differently? 

I've run into the same issue as you--my Strands and McAllisters fit perfect in 8C but the Park Ave and Fifth Ave were both roomy in the heel and toe box...I ended up getting another pair of Strands after returning twice for the same 8C, thinking it was a manufacturing defect on the Fifths and Parks....I'd try a width down next time (and maybe a size up)...

rpearlberg

Reaction score
I've run into the same issue as you--my Strands and McAllisters fit perfect in 8C but the Park Ave and Fifth Ave were both roomy in the heel and toe box...I ended up getting another pair of Strands after returning twice for the same 8C, thinking it was a manufacturing defect on the Fifths and Parks....I'd try a width down next time (and maybe a size up)...

I think a size up would be way too long. What would the width down size be? Or maybe I should try a different style...

jubu

Reaction score

I think a size up would be way too long.  What would the width down size be?  Or maybe I should try a different style...

Sorry--I think I did that backwards--in your case, it would be a half-size down and perhaps the same width or maybe just down a width at the same size. In my case (and for some others on the board) I can wear a 7.5D in the unlined 5-last models (i.e. Neumok) but need an 8C for the Strand and McAllister.

I would try maybe an 11C or a 10.5D/E...There's a decent chance they might have those in store so maybe go for a test fit?

rpearlberg

Reaction score
Sorry--I think I did that backwards--in your case, it would be a half-size down and perhaps the same width or maybe just down a width at the same size. In my case (and for some others on the board) I can wear a 7.5D in the unlined 5-last models (i.e. Neumok) but need an 8C for the Strand and McAllister.

I would try maybe an 11C or a 10.5D/E...There's a decent chance they might have those in store so maybe go for a test fit?

Thanks. yeah, I'm going to try to get to a store to try some on before I get another pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads