• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I saw that the Cottonwood was not available in my size. I'd consider buying it in the larger size to have it shortened, but the only cobbler in town passed away a couple of years ago.
I do like that Redwater belt. If I go that route, it may give me a second option to wear with my olive Rush Streets.

Last edited:

qwerty11

Reaction score
I need a pair of AEs for casual wear, IE to go with shorts, jeans, chinos. I don't know if I should be going with a loafer, boat shoe, or what. Could someone point me to an AE shoe that is the most versatile?​

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with AE's burnishing technique but is this normal? I never knew Strands offer burnishing in the first place and doesn't the burnishing seem a bit contrived and unnatural? These are seconds if that matters.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoah, haha!!!

That sure is something....

I'd definitely return those.

Last edited:

danwatts2005

Reaction score
I think "regular" Chili has become much darker since they introduced Bob's Chili (also known as Dark Chili).

I remember looking at the regular Chili McAllister (style 6202), which is still the only McAllister in any variation of Chili they offer, about a year ago (about six months before Bob's/Dark Chili was introduced), and it was MUCH more red than the Chili McAllisters that are being made today (still style 6202).

I am curious what the actual difference is between the production of the Chili McAllister and the Dark Chili Strand, for example. I'm guessing they just apply slightly less burnishing to the McAllister.

Post up some pictures of your pair!

Here are some pictures of mine in various lights. I did call CS to verify that style 6202 is this dark before I ordered. It seemed to me that regular Chili is lighter, and Bob's was just..."different" in person. Someone posted some Dark Chili Strands a few pages back, and this color is much more like those. If I had known they were available, I would already have them.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

I'm not familiar with AE's burnishing technique but is this normal? I never knew Strands offer burnishing in the first place and doesn't the burnishing seem a bit contrived and unnatural? These are seconds if that matters.
Now you know why they are seconds.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I saw that the Cottonwood was not available in my size. I'd consider buying it in the larger size to have it shortened, but the only cobbler in town passed away a couple of years ago.
I do like that Redwater belt. If I go that route, it may give me a second option to wear with my olive Rush Streets.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the olive. Might be a nice choice.

Whoah, haha!!!

That sure is something....

I'd definitely return those.

I have no idea what happened there. I know that people can request extra burnishing on the heel/toe as part of the MTO/SMU program, so maybe these were supposed to have extra burnishing on the toes but not quite as much as they put on, and thus they were returned or rejected?

Here are some pictures of mine in various lights. I did call CS to verify that style 6202 is this dark before I ordered. It seemed to me that regular Chili is lighter, and Bob's was just..."different" in person. Someone posted some Dark Chili Strands a few pages back, and this color is much more like those. If I had known they were available, I would already have them.

Very nice. Looking great.

I posted the Dark Chili Strands earlier. Bob's Chili and Dark Chili are the same thing - Bob's Chili is the marketing name for Dark Chili. If you order a pair of shoes in Bob's Chili, they will just say "Dark Chili" on the box. Just like Oxblood is, for marketing purposes, sometimes referred to as "Jose's Oxblood".

redmusic1

Reaction score

Wow. That has got to be a last ditch effort at covering some cap damage. I tend to like darkening my caps, but that is drastically dark with so quick a gradation near the perf.

redmusic1

Reaction score
My PA's in Bob's Chili. It is fairly accurate on my monitor for indoor lighting. I think they are more red in natural light than artificial, but it is raining atm.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know what last the "Brooks Chukka" is on? Looking into ordering a pair from the Shoebank, but would like to have some idea as to what size I should get. Thanks.

These look exactly like my AE brown grain Malverns, which were made on the 511. Most reviews mentioned that the Malvern ran a little narrow. Mine are slightly narrow, but they're good because I bought a wider size than usual and can wear thicker socks with them.

RichieP

Reaction score

I find the following offering at Brooks interesting, although only in D. Shows the power of the MTO? Presenting the Linen Carlyle:
Nice find! I spotted those on the Shoebank the other night but could not find a picture. Looks like a great casual shoe. Hmmm, it's on the 108 last. Not sure how I fit in those, compared to the 65.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads