• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpeter47

Reaction score
Depending on how the uppers look, I'd dispute for a full refund.

The uppers look good, no noticeable blemishes. If I go for a full refund, I don't expect to keep the shoes. I would be willing to keep the shoes because they are in good condition, just not "Like new" and not firsts.

How much did you pay for them? Yea, definitely ask for a partial refund of buy a second quality NEW pair for about $199.

$125 shipped.

I always post and ask for photos of the soles.

I typically would have but I just "made an offer" and didn't expect it to be accepted.

inno

Reaction score
But you've used both those soles?

Sorry, I'm looking at these on eBay. Gonna ask the seller for a better pic, but was interested in initial opinions. Doesn't really matter anyway -- gonna wait til I get a better look.

Spiker

Reaction score
If you get a pair of ebay and it says: no return/no warranty. Can they still be resoled? Will AE still fix it if there becomes a structural problem?

There seems to be alot shoe that are only worn once or twice for only about $70. There are also ones that the sole is barely scratched/completely new. They werent marked as seconds, are they just store returns?

Last edited:

cadmonkey

Reaction score

If you get a pair of ebay and it says: no return/no warranty. Can they still be resoled? Will AE still fix it if there becomes a structural problem?

There seems to be alot shoe that are only worn once or twice for only about $70. There are also ones that the sole is barely scratched/completely new. They werent marked as seconds, are they just store returns?

Not eligible for recrafting iirc.

Can't really comment on the second question, but if those are BINs I would cop in a heartbeat. What size/ models are they?

Spiker

Reaction score

What does BIN mean? Why wont they resole it? More money for them it seems. There are a lot of them that looks almost brand new some sole is flawless and other that was worn for 1 wear. There are 4 shoe under my size Delray, randolph, franscis and Mora for my size all under 70 right now. Those soles looks to be in better condition than the Park Ave that I only worn twice lol.

Some listing are like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111337624128
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111337624130
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Allen-E...8507957?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1c3fbe1c35

And many others all have rediculously low bids
Not eligible for recrafting iirc.

Can't really comment on the second question, but if those are BINs I would cop in a heartbeat. What size/ models are they?

Last edited:

barrance

Reaction score

What does BIN mean? Why wont they resole it? More money for them it seems. There are a lot of them that looks almost brand new some sole is flawless and other that was worn for 1 wear. There are 4 shoe under my size Delray, randolph, franscis and Mora for my size all under 70 right now. Those soles looks to be in better condition than the Park Ave that I only worn twice lol.

Some listing are like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111337624128
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111337624130
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Allen-E...8507957?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1c3fbe1c35

And many others all have rediculously low bids

BIN stands for Buy It Now, which is a set price for an auction which the seller is willing to accept right away for the item.

A better barometer, I've found, is to search completed items to see where the most recent auctions for your specific shoe/size have ended. In my experience, most eBay auctions typically don't have a lot of bidding activity until the last few minutes of the auction, so even though they might be low now, there's a good chance the final price will be much higher, especially if the price looks too good to be true.

motosacto

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just purchased a pair of AE Fifth Ave shoes. The seller described them as "Like New". Am I just being picky or do I have a legitimate complaint? They look like they are seconds with a "No Warranty" stamped on the sole and inside of the shoe. Also, the soles look like they are worn more than what they should be for something claimed to be "like new".

Yeah.... Those shoes may have been well taken care of, but they are nowhere near "like new" by any reasonable definition.

I'll be blunt--the seller is either an idiot or a liar. On the few occasions when something like this happened to me, I demanded and received a full refund. I feel that I am doing a disservice to the whole eBay buying community if I let sellers get away with blatantly false sales like this.

motosacto

Reaction score
Well, I'm 0 for 2 trying to buy a pair of Brooks Brothers "Long Wingtips" (Macneils). The last pair (described in this post: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/43530#post_7094815) had a misplaced lace tab. This time, the leather on the right side of both shoes is puckered and distorted. Here's a comparison of the black BB shoes to my walnut Macneils (purchased about 4 years ago). The puckering looks much worse in person.

Brooks Brothers has been very good about returns -- but what about AE quality control?

Spiker

Reaction score
BIN stands for Buy It Now, which is a set price for an auction which the seller is willing to accept right away for the item.

A better barometer, I've found, is to search completed items to see where the most recent auctions for your specific shoe/size have ended. In my experience, most eBay auctions typically don't have a lot of bidding activity until the last few minutes of the auction, so even though they might be low now, there's a good chance the final price will be much higher, especially if the price looks too good to be true.

Last edited:

rink

Reaction score
Well, I'm 0 for 2 trying to buy a pair of Brooks Brothers "Long Wingtips" (Macneils). The last pair (described in this post: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/43530#post_7094815) had a misplaced lace tab. This time, the leather on the right side of both shoes is puckered and distorted. Here's a comparison of the black BB shoes to my walnut Macneils (purchased about 4 years ago). The puckering looks much worse in person.

Brooks Brothers has been very good about returns -- but what about AE quality control?

Personally, I would keep that pair - that is pretty minor and there no way that any other person beside yourself would notice the crease if you wore them. Does the creasing level out at all once you have laced them up? Also, depending on how your pants fit, your pant leg may cover up that area entirely.

As is often discussed in this thread, each of us has a personal threshold for "imperfections." You appear to expect absolute perfection, which you are entitled to. If it bothers you (which it obviously does), return the pair and try for a third time. But keep in mind that if you look close enough at any pair of shoes you can likely spot something that is not perfect. Finally, I assume you got these during BB's last sale - so think about if you can live with the trade-off of getting the shoes at a great price versus dealing with this minor issue.

Just some food for thought - best of luck finding a pair that better suits you!

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

Well, I'm 0 for 2 trying to buy a pair of Brooks Brothers "Long Wingtips" (Macneils). The last pair (described in this post: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/43530#post_7094815) had a misplaced lace tab. This time, the leather on the right side of both shoes is puckered and distorted. Here's a comparison of the black BB shoes to my walnut Macneils (purchased about 4 years ago). The puckering looks much worse in person. Brooks Brothers has been very good about returns -- but what about AE quality control?
Don't see anything wrong with the puckering above. Lace tab looks good too.

rink

Reaction score
Oh yea, I dont know how to search for completed bets. But I just been tracking the shoes on using watch list. What price do you think will make the 2 shoe I pictured a sweet deal? Delray and Randolph.

Basically I thought if they are only worn once or twice $100 seems reasonable (Since we can get 2nds at $125). I was afraid of not having any AE warranty in case of structure defect, but heck its just a shoe I dont think many things can just suddenly break down. However, now I am second guessing it as you say that they can not be resoled.

You can check completed eBay auctions by selecting "Completed listings" under the "Show only" category on the left side of the page after you have run a search.

Also, if, as you suggest, the difference in price between a used pair on eBay and a new pair of seconds is only $25, I would go with the new pair of seconds every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads