• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

Can someone compare the RL Singleton fit to the 5 last? I'm 11.5E in Strand, Mcallister and PA. Also, is there a list of what's in the 2/250 or are all closeouts fair game?

Bump... 9-79 last compared to 5-65? ANYONE able to share the difference in fit between the two lasts?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I grabbed a pair of navy and brogue suede strands during the second sale today. Woot!

Was also seriously considering the Neumora but had read about the issue with the straps ripping off. I was also looking at the morgan but read some awful things about it here. The RL and brooks penny loafers look awesome as well, but I always seem to have a hard time fitting into penny loafers and I'd really like to make sure that I'm getting the right ones in person.

I decided to ignore the boots for now. I figured I could grab some of those during the next sale or such. I still need to pick up a pair of brown wingtips someday. I have a feeling it's going to be a good long while after this purchase. Yeesh!

When this stuff comes around again, I'd love to pick up some more 'hardy' boots along the lines of the long branch. The only boots I have that I can beat up are my timberlands!

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
What is the groups thoughts on the V-tread tap soles? I'm contemplating whether I should opt for them on a new pair of walnut Strands and/or order Bourbon McAllisters. I have bourbon Daltons on order so I'm not sure I want two pairs if bourbon wingtips.

I have the V-treads on a pair of Patriots but those shoes are not worn regularly enough for me to get a handle of their wear characteristics.

What about Swims galoshes? Who uses them? Opinions if you do please?

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to agree with you. I think the Walnut Strand is much more versatile than the Rush Street. I recently bought the Rush Streets and they are great - but they are definitely a more casual shoe. I personally will not wear my Rush Streets with a suit.

The Walnut Strands can do a suit and can also pull off jeans.

Chris

Agree, walnut strands are the way to go here. Rush Streets are a great casual shoe, and could be more useful depending on what you normall wear. If I was a chinos/jeans person more than 50% of the time, then I would go with the Rush Streets. Dainite soles are the bomb.

If anyone could post pics of these shoes (worn), I'd be grateful!

I wear mostly semi casual (eg nice jeans with a nice jacket to dinner) but have some slacks the walnut would pair well with. Would rather not buy both pairs of shoes...

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi

Jacket: 36S/38S.
Shoes: 7.5EE-8.5D.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I get on the sales list, will I see photos of these shoes?

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi

rc121

Reaction score

If I get on the sales list, will I see photos of these shoes?

no, the list only includes the model information, color and price.

BlindMelons

Reaction score
I just got the Rush Streets back in the correct size and I'm MUCH more pleased with the quality. I can confidently say that they run a half size long.

Last edited:

The_International

Reaction score

Bump... 9-79 last compared to 5-65? ANYONE able to share the difference in fit between the two lasts?

Personally, I go 11.5D on the Singleton. I have both the dark chocolate suede and brown calf. Each pair was a bit snug in the instep at first but broke in nicely over time. I also wear 11.5D on the 5-65. I have a relatively small lacing gap on my 5 last Strands. The 5 last is very similar in width to the 9-79 throughout, but a bit longer in the same size. YMMV. Hope this is helpful.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They should be on the same last (5-65) as the park avenue and the fifth avenues, right? Do they fit the same the ?

I tried the strand in a 7.5 EEE and it fit my insole. I measure an 8E but that size was barely tight on the park aves.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys wear your Leeds with? I just got a pair of black shell Leeds and feel like the shoe isn't all that flattering, at least in smaller sizes.

luv2breformed

Reaction score

What do you guys wear your Leeds with? I just got a pair of black shell Leeds and feel like the shoe isn't all that flattering, at least in smaller sizes.

I think my opinion is probably minority here, but:

Leeds: casual
Shell: casual
Black: formal

Black shell Leeds: fail

YMMV

Edit: I would note that anywhere one would wear black gunboats that black shell Leeds would also be appropriate. Saying they are fail is a bit harsh, but they are certainly a minority shoe without much versatility.

Last edited:

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

Personally, I go 11.5D on the Singleton. I have both the dark chocolate suede and brown calf. Each pair was a bit snug in the instep at first but broke in nicely over time. I also wear 11.5D on the 5-65. I have a relatively small lacing gap on my 5 last Strands. The 5 last is very similar in width to the 9-79 throughout, but a bit longer in the same size. YMMV. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the reply, sir...
If I follow you, International, you suggest staying the same size. I'm an E width, however, and I'm concerned the additional width might create heel slip. I have a thin heel but wider ball of foot.

After no response to OP, I went in store today, tried on the Randolph, which I believe is the same last, and the toe box was tight, shoe falling off my heel when just flexing, not waking. SA just shrugged and said loafers would be a hard fit for my foot type. Laces DO make a difference...

I guess i have to roll the dice on a size and hope for the best if I want a more substantial loafer than the Italian offerings. Happy to field thread suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nostradamus