• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

please do, the old mora is one of the shoes i'm most interested in, as long as it's on the 8.

Well, my shoe has it marked as an 8 last after all. For some reason it does not look as sleek as the other 8 last shoes like the Delray. Maybe it's the extra bulk from the captoe that is making it look as such. Either way, i'm very pleased with my Moras. What method do you have of acquiring old models?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i ended up getting the Harrison, but on my first time out with them today, i experienced pain in the in the front inner heel every time i stepped on hard surfaces. Has anyone noticed that AE's for the most part do not lie flat at the heel when placed on a surface, it is at an angle. On the Harrisons i have, that angle forces my foot to fall on that hard edge during my walking motion. It is painful after a while.

I was a bit reluctant to bring it up to my SA, but he said he would inquire with the crafting department to see if they can even out the heel. I guess i'll let everyone know how that request goes. Interesting part is that this does not cause pain my other AE's, strange.... :confused:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question, is there a way to stretch out the width of the shoe about a centimeter or so? There's some uncomfortable pressure on my small toe and a little more space would be perfect.

Yes - a good shoe stretcher will do the trick. Get one that can stretch length and width. I have done it to a handful of shoes and it has worked every time. I have had better luck doing it myself than having a cobbler do it. But a decent cobbler should be able to help you out as well.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

alright thanks dudes, here's the final list i have of Allen Edmonds shoes on the 8 last, posted for posterity's sake:
current models
Delray (split toe blucher)
Lasalle (split toe blucher)
Vernon (brogued bal)
former
Hale (brogued bal)
Clifton (punched captoe blucher)
McClain (shortwing bal)
Thayer (single monk)
Ashton (split toe blucher)
Nathan (JAB)
Hinsdale (shortwing blucher)
Mora (double monk)
Weybridge (brogued blucher)
Niles (plain captoe bal)
Westgate (wholecut)
Quinton (rubber soled wingtip bal)

Thanks for the list. :nodding: FYI only: the Nathan is a current model; so is the McClain. Both offered at JAB.

Last edited:

TintinATL

Reaction score
Can any of you Allen Edmonds experts advise as to sizing on the AE Cortina boot? I am a US9 but I think I read somewhere that sizing down a half size was advisable. Trouble is, I can't remember where I rad it, or indeed of I really did. Any advice would be much appreciated.

dancingbear

Reaction score
Ok, so i ended up getting the Harrison, but on my first time out with them today, i experienced pain in the in the front inner heel every time i stepped on hard surfaces. Has anyone noticed that AE's for the most part do not lie flat at the heel when placed on a surface, it is at an angle. On the Harrisons i have, that angle forces my foot to fall on that hard edge during my walking motion. It is painful after a while.
I was a bit reluctant to bring it up to my SA, but he said he would inquire with the crafting department to see if they can even out the heel. I guess i'll let everyone know how that request goes. Interesting part is that this does not cause pain my other AE's, strange....
confused.gif
I have noticed a more mild version of this with my Jeffersons. I think it has to do with less forgiving materials in the heel of the Independence collection, i.e. no rubber. There is simply no give it the heel at all.

I decided to live with it while the heel wears down, but it also affects how I wear them. I find the Jefferson incredibly uncomfortable for long periods of driving with my right foot resting on the edge of the heel while on the pedal. I do not think that will change.

But I still think they look great!

gsgleason

Reaction score

I was a bit reluctant to bring it up to my SA, but he said he would inquire with the crafting department to see if they can even out the heel. I guess i'll let everyone know how that request goes. Interesting part is that this does not cause pain my other AE's, strange.... :confused:

Yes. I totally have experienced the same thing. If I place the heel one flat surface, the sole does not touch and is a bit above the surface. This results in the the front of the heel pressing up when my weight is distributed uniformly in the shoe.

My plan was to mention it to them when I sent them in for recrafting.

I have 4 pairs that do this.

gsgleason

Reaction score

One of the reasons I love this SF thread is because of the pictures, so here is the family

A closeup of the little brother (newest pair of cordovan strands)

...and the grandfather of the group (2 year old Strands- my first pair of AEs)

As you can see, the 5 last bals fit me very well...I feel like I am missing a pair of Burgundy McAllisters :D

Keep the pics coming!

Edit: It is also interesting to see how much AE has worked on reducing the size of the welt within the past 2 years. Check out the width of the welt on the walnut strands vs the newer shoes! 

I think your older strands look a lot better than current models. Maybe it's just a patina.

bucksfan

Reaction score

Asked a few pages back but for those of you with 5th Aves and 5th Streets do you wear exactly the same size/width?
Cheers

I don't own the 5th streets, but I tried them on in the same size as my park ave / 5th ave and they seemed the right size.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Oh sure, rub it in...
frown.gif
...j/k, well sort of LOL.

So to prevent that from happening with the current webgems please note that after Sept. 23 the current boots being offered in shell will no longer be available. If you really want any of them you have till the 23rd to order.

AE called me back this afternoon and they are going to allow me to exchange the burgundy shell Dundee for the Bradley's which I have been trying to get a decent pair since Dec. of last year. And I will order the black shell Dundee in the morning. A gentleman on here sent me a PM which I appreciate greatly and gave me a fantastic idea to try and pull off a trifecta on the Dundee's. Certainly worth a shot and thank you!!

I am definitely in for the 5th street in burgundy shell and a pair in black shell before they are no longer available. My SA just happen to "find" a brown calf 5th street that he is bringing in for sizing before I order... will try to avoid the hat trick, but sense I may give in and pick up all three. Will post pics whatever the result when they come in.

spitshine123

Reaction score
I think your older strands look a lot better than current models. Maybe it's just a patina.
I noticed that they patina-ed really well after the first application of Saphir Reno. They made the color much less yellow and more golden and rich. If you don't mind darkening the strands a little bit, I think its a great product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads