• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolved

Reaction score
I have two thoughts on these images:
1. Whenever I am given the choice between shell and calf, from here on out it's either shell or save my money.
2. If Allen Edmonds were to take product shots outside in natural light rather than in a sterile lightbox, their website would go from blah to YOWZA.
+10000 for the bold/underlined point. Their website pictures are just awful.

jimney

Reaction score
Regarding the shell cordovan finish changes: Just checking out some of the pictures on their website, the webgems seem to have a noticeably different finish on them. See for yourself:

Burgundy Leeds (old style finishing):

Burgundy Dundees: (new style finishing):

So does this mean they will apply the new style finish to all models? I could see myself wanting a burgundy Leeds with the new style finishing.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
After picking up my first pair of shells, I am inclined to say the same for #1. Finding a good fit is considerably harder for shell though, I have to say. I have considerable bowing with my shell strands vs no bowing on my calf ones because of the looser upper (higher instep) of the shell model. It doesnt really bother me though because it is covered by my trousers, but nonetheless, a sign of an imperfect fit. Has anyone else experienced this with their shell models, and can this be rectified during the recrafting process?

The topline can be tightened some during recrafting however it can't fix bowing beyond a certain point. It doesn't matter if the shoe is calf or shell it should not make a difference in the collar opening, which is where I measure to see if a shoe has bowing. Your strands should measure the same distance between the calf and shell models. To measure I remove the laces and tie the top eyelets together. Then spread the opening with calipers until you can just start to see the tension on the laces:

My #1 lasted shoes are ALL the same, 2.4" in size 10D including calf and shell Leeds. The pair above which bowed badly from the factory measured 3.1" and QA told me they were defective when I returned them. Not sure what my #5 lasted shoes measured right now but IIRC they were smaller. But again all consistent.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mexicutioner, this has turned into a great list, as shown by the many people who contributed. I'll add that the Clifton is still available through Nordstrom, just as someone mentioned the McClain is still at JAB.
The 8 happens to be my favorite last, and it seems that a lot of other agree. So my question is - why are they reducing the number of models on this last? I mean, they wouldn't have all of the models shown here at any one time, but why only three, of which two (LaSalle and Delray) are similar? Is there another last that they consider to be the "replacement" for the 8? Maybe the 3 or the 6? Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on this?

thanks man, updated to reflect Clifton and Nathan.

the JAB Nathan looks really good, i hadn't seen pictures of it before.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you think it is possible to get the Daltons for cheap (like seconds)? I saw some people have bought them for $149 from the factory - what kind of sale should I look out for? I am dying for a pair of the chocolate calf daltons

TIA!!!

classicgrey

Reaction score

How do you think it is possible to get the Daltons for cheap (like seconds)? I saw some people have bought them for $149 from the factory - what kind of sale should I look out for? I am dying for a pair of the chocolate calf daltons

TIA!!!

Factory seconds have defects. You're talking about a shoe that is already a good value for the money. As a retailer I'm biased, but save up and get what you want.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Factory seconds have defects. You're talking about a shoe that is already a good value for the money. As a retailer I'm biased, but save up and get what you want.

I don't mind the seconds! I just can't get over how beautiful I think they are.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
Just thought I would liven up the conversation with a few pics I found of my walnut calf Daltons vs my walnut shell Daltons:
Calf:

Shell:

droool...my walnut cordovan dalton seconds are in the mail...here's to hoping there's nothing too wrong with them!

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
So does this mean they will apply the new style finish to all models? I could see myself wanting a burgundy Leeds with the new style finishing.
one wonders how much of it is just polishing and brushing...i remember a previous post with some nice photos of a burgundy shell full brogue with a very nice shine, presumably on the older finish.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one wonders how much of it is just polishing and brushing...i remember a previous post with some nice photos of a burgundy shell full brogue with a very nice shine, presumably on the older finish.

Stolen from another poster in the Meermin thread:

The Alden (right) is the glossiest of the bunch by a good amount while the AE (middle) is the least glossy. No amount of brushing to my shell Leeds could equal that luster - it took a good amount of polishing. There's a lot to the finishing.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Stolen from another poster in the Meermin thread:

The Alden (right) is the glossiest of the bunch by a good amount while the AE (middle) is the least glossy. No amount of brushing to my shell Leeds could equal that luster - it took a good amount of polishing. There's a lot to the finishing.

Modern AE shell is inferior to Alden (shine/lustre wise) despite coming from the same factory... so go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads