• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

alright thanks dudes, here's the final list i have of Allen Edmonds shoes on the 8 last, posted for posterity's sake:
current models
Delray (split toe blucher)
Lasalle (split toe blucher)
Vernon (brogued bal)
former
Hale (brogued bal)
Clifton (punched captoe blucher)
McClain (shortwing bal)
Thayer (single monk)
Ashton (split toe blucher)
Nathan (JAB)
Hinsdale (shortwing blucher)
Mora (double monk)
Weybridge (brogued blucher)
Niles (plain captoe bal)
Westgate (wholecut)
Quinton (rubber soled wingtip bal)

Mexicutioner, this has turned into a great list, as shown by the many people who contributed. I'll add that the Clifton is still available through Nordstrom, just as someone mentioned the McClain is still at JAB.

The 8 happens to be my favorite last, and it seems that a lot of other agree. So my question is - why are they reducing the number of models on this last? I mean, they wouldn't have all of the models shown here at any one time, but why only three, of which two (LaSalle and Delray) are similar? Is there another last that they consider to be the "replacement" for the 8? Maybe the 3 or the 6? Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on this?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I love this SF thread is because of the pictures, so here is the family

A closeup of the little brother (newest pair of cordovan strands)

...and the grandfather of the group (2 year old Strands- my first pair of AEs)

As you can see, the 5 last bals fit me very well...I feel like I am missing a pair of Burgundy McAllisters
biggrin.gif

Keep the pics coming!

Edit: It is also interesting to see how much AE has worked on reducing the size of the welt within the past 2 years. Check out the width of the welt on the walnut strands vs the newer shoes!

Nice collection.

The seemingly narrower welt might be due to the difference between cordovan and calf.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mexicutioner, this has turned into a great list, as shown by the many people who contributed. I'll add that the Clifton is still available through Nordstrom, just as someone mentioned the McClain is still at JAB.
The 8 happens to be my favorite last, and it seems that a lot of other agree. So my question is - why are they reducing the number of models on this last? I mean, they wouldn't have all of the models shown here at any one time, but why only three, of which two (LaSalle and Delray) are similar? Is there another last that they consider to be the "replacement" for the 8? Maybe the 3 or the 6? Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on this?

It seems like AE is introducing most of its new shoes on the 5 last and 3 last and limiting its 8 last shoes. The Delray is not going anywhere, but I've noticed a recent trend by AE to introduce 8 last shoes as closeouts. For example, I had never heard of the McClains or Parklands before, but both of these 8 last shoes showed up as closeouts at $250. I wonder if we will continue to see more of this in the future and whether the 8 last will dominate this category.

jjr4884

Reaction score
They look like calf creasing to me. Also, ae walnut shell has a very different color than walnut calf--darker and browner, right?

I couldn't really tell from the creasing of the small pic, however when they started talking about the patina, i thought they were referencing the fact that they are shell. Shell walnut is rather darker, however I've seen pics before where they look almost mustard-like, so the color could be just the pic. But I agree, they are calf....

cordovan has thick beefy rolls/creases. not every brown shoes are cordo.

and no, they are just calf.

Who said that every brown shoe is cordovan? I was talking about the walnut strands as they were referencing the "patina" on them...

bucksfan

Reaction score
I couldn't really tell from the creasing of the small pic, however when they started talking about the patina, i thought they were referencing the fact that they are shell. Shell walnut is rather darker, however I've seen pics before where they look almost mustard-like, so the color could be just the pic. But I agree, they are calf....

Who said that every brown shoe is cordovan? I was talking about the walnut strands as they were referencing the "patina" on them...

Just thought I would liven up the conversation with a few pics I found of my walnut calf Daltons vs my walnut shell Daltons:
Calf:

Shell:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just thought I would liven up the conversation with a few pics I found of my walnut calf Daltons vs my walnut shell Daltons:
Calf:

Shell:

Nice boots. Only a true fan finds it within himself to pony up the dough for essentially the same boot - one in calf, one in shell. :slayer:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this an idea from which others might benefit?
mwink%5B1%5D.gif
Ok, so i ended up getting the Harrison, but on my first time out with them today, i experienced pain in the in the front inner heel every time i stepped on hard surfaces. Has anyone noticed that AE's for the most part do not lie flat at the heel when placed on a surface, it is at an angle. On the Harrisons i have, that angle forces my foot to fall on that hard edge during my walking motion. It is painful after a while.
I was a bit reluctant to bring it up to my SA, but he said he would inquire with the crafting department to see if they can even out the heel. I guess i'll let everyone know how that request goes. Interesting part is that this does not cause pain my other AE's, strange....
confused.gif
bucksfan mentioned it back a couple hundred pages ago and asked if maybe it could have an effect on bowing. I'm wearing my shell Cambridge today where the right shoe has started to exhibt minor bowing. I took them off and put them on my desk and pushing the heel flat on the right shoe the sole is still flat on the desk. On the left shoe which does not bow I push the heel flat and the sole lifts about 3/8" off the desk. Interestering....

Yes please let us know what they say and how it goes for you.

I have noticed a more mild version of this with my Jeffersons. I think it has to do with less forgiving materials in the heel of the Independence collection, i.e. no rubber. There is simply no give it the heel at all.

I decided to live with it while the heel wears down, but it also affects how I wear them. I find the Jefferson incredibly uncomfortable for long periods of driving with my right foot resting on the edge of the heel while on the pedal. I do not think that will change.

But I still think they look great!
The right shoe of my Jefferson's has been slick on tile since the day I got them. I almost posted to ask if anyone else has had this problem when last week the very bottom rubber of the heels started to come off. Which isn't a bad thing in this case. Under the rubber part of the heel is a large carriage bolt like head. It was pushing up on the right heel and creating a very small bump much like a roller bearing which is what was causing the shoe to be slipping on hard tile. I will have my cobbler carve out some of the hard rubber in the bottom of the heel to allow room for the bolt head before he glues it back down and it should solve that problem. Other than that I haven't had a problem with them being uncomfortable and now wonder if the heels have pitch or not. And yes they do look great!

I am definitely in for the 5th street in burgundy shell and a pair in black shell before they are no longer available. My SA just happen to "find" a brown calf 5th street that he is bringing in for sizing before I order... will try to avoid the hat trick, but sense I may give in and pick up all three. Will post pics whatever the result when they come in.
Nice! I have the brown 5th St. wish I could afford all 6 webgem boots LOL. You know you might as well just order 3 sets of shoe trees right now, just saying.... Looking forward to the pictures.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Calf:

Shell:

I have two thoughts on these images:

1. Whenever I am given the choice between shell and calf, from here on out it's either shell or save my money.
2. If Allen Edmonds were to take product shots outside in natural light rather than in a sterile lightbox, their website would go from blah to YOWZA.

spitshine123

Reaction score
I have two thoughts on these images:
1. Whenever I am given the choice between shell and calf, from here on out it's either shell or save my money.
2. If Allen Edmonds were to take product shots outside in natural light rather than in a sterile lightbox, their website would go from blah to YOWZA.

After picking up my first pair of shells, I am inclined to say the same for #1. Finding a good fit is considerably harder for shell though, I have to say. I have considerable bowing with my shell strands vs no bowing on my calf ones because of the looser upper (higher instep) of the shell model. It doesnt really bother me though because it is covered by my trousers, but nonetheless, a sign of an imperfect fit. Has anyone else experienced this with their shell models, and can this be rectified during the recrafting process?

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Giving those calf Daltons a proper shine may change opinions, or at least level the playing field a bit...

I prefer shell, personally, but calf can be mirrored as opposed to the rather matte looking boot pictured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads