• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Wow bucksfan, your collection of burgundy shell AE's is stunning!

Thank you!
cheers.gif

That pic is about 6 months old and little out of date (some additions / deletions / replacements) but I haven't re-shot it yet.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are keen on keeping the creasing behind the cap, what may help is if you make sure the sole is broken in at the location of the desired crease BEFORE any heavy wearing. you can do this controlled creasing by kneeling carefully and switching sides. my best creasing results from six or so pairs of shoes over the past 3 months have happened when i've tried to pay attention to this. if you wear them right off the bat and wait for the creases to form, it's dealer's choice--the upper creases will fall preferentially where the shoe is most likely to bend (and the sole is a much more important factor than the upper with regard to this), and this may be too far forward for your liking.
this does not completely remove the possibility that the crease may sadly fall right in the middle of the cap, but it sure helps.

And what happens when they crease in a different spot based on how your foot flexes? Sorry, this method sounds like a recipe for getting excessive creasing.

jch1

Reaction score
Are you asking if you are still missing the color? The color is Brown.
cool.gif
I think what he's getting at is the brown in your picture and the one you quoted appears to be substantially different. This could be merely due to different camera settings.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of have a difficult situation that I hope the AE vets here can help me figure out.

- I used AE's online self sizing measurement and measured myself as a size 8.5D. I then went and placed an order on the Vernons 8-108 last in 8.5D

- Before the Vernons were delivered to me, I decided to make a trip to the closest AE store (30 miles away) and tried on the Rutledge 3-333 last and the staff sized me for a size 8D which fit me fine so I made the purchase. While in the store, I asked the SA that if I'm a size 8D for the Rutledge, does that make me an 8D for the Vernon as well? She told me yes, I'll be an 8D for the Vernon also. By now, I'm worried because I know that I have a pair of Vernon is 8.5D being delivered to me sometime next week.

- My Vernons have now arrived and after lacing them up, they feel like they fit my feet, the front and width of my feet feel snug except for some heel slippage in the back.

Now my question is if I should return these 8.5D Vernon and wait another 3-4 weeks for a size 8D Vernon? Is the SA correct regarding the sizing? I'm also worried of wasting time and the 8D Vernon may be too small for me since everything already feels snug except for the heel slippage. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can take photos of the Vernons as well if needed.

**Also, what is the usual normal length from where your toe ends, to the tip of the shoe? Is 1" to 1.5" normal?

Heel slippage is a big red flag. Take the 8.5D Vernons with you to the AE store and try on an 8 and compare the fits. I know the store is 30 miles away, but you are going to kick yourself a year from now if you hardly wear the shoe because of the heel slippage.

atoms

Reaction score
Heel slippage is a big red flag. Take the 8.5D Vernons with you to the AE store and try on an 8 and compare the fits. I know the store is 30 miles away, but you are going to kick yourself a year from now if you hardly wear the shoe because of the heel slippage.
+1. If you notice any heel slippage, you should seek a better fit.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
starting to look like the alden thread here...

Some would say it is the other way around too... In any event the customer service at AE is what sets them apart from pretty much everyone else IMO.

Rainy, windy and cold with urban flooding switching to snow later in the day. First time in 6 months I have even touched the Cascades. Saphir middle brown (IIRC) cream.

When I first got them was surprised how long they were and I tried to hand them off to my oldest son (25) who is half a size larger than me. He said they were too long for him also. I ended up keeping them and realized the more I wore them the more I liked them, and they creased where they should. Out of all the shoes I own they are the only ones the secretary has ever commented on and she said they were stylish. Go figure.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what he's getting at is the brown in your picture and the one you quoted appears to be substantially different. This could be merely due to different camera settings.

That may be. I wasn't trying to make a smart comment, and it probably is a case of a camera flash or something like that.

jch1

Reaction score
That may be. I wasn't trying to make a smart comment, and it probably is a case of a camera flash or something like that.
And I certainly didn't intend to insinuate that you were! With that said, it is strange that there is such a difference in colors of the two pictures, assuming neither were treated with any type of leather oil or similar products.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I certainly didn't intend to insinuate that you were! With that said, it is strange that there is such a difference in colors of the two pictures, assuming neither were treated with any type of leather oil or similar products.

I agree. That is one of main hold-up with the Cronmoks. They do seem to look quite different depending on the lighting (as many shoes do) but with these I seem to like the color in some lighting but not in others. I am afraid that in some lighting I would look at my feet and do this
inlove.gif
and in some lighting I would do this
shog[1].gif
or worse, even this
cry.gif

OldManMachine

Reaction score
OldManMachine, my opinion: who cares what the size says if they feel good. The SA might know what the brannock says but she doesnt know how your feet feel. My suggestion: wear them around on carpet for a bit to make sure the arch fits where it needs to and go with your gut. Personally, I have shoes from size 7.5 to 9.5. They all feel great and I have no foot issues. Go with what feels good.

Agreed with mikeharo, go with the shoe that feels right... despite what the sizing is.
In my experience, it has always been best to try on the shoe to ensure fit, even on the same lasted shoe styles.
For me, heal slippage is a big red flag and something I would size down for. But, depending on the shoe, you may be able to minimize the slippage if the lacing pushes your foot back enough... boots seem to solve this better than shoes thought. Just be sure to keep width in mind too if you do size down.

Thank you guys for your response and suggestion. Since the store does not carry the Vernon in 8D, do you guys know if an AE sales rep would be willing to order and bring it in so I can try it with the possibility of not buying?

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Are you asking if you are still missing the color? The color is Brown.
cool.gif

yea lol. The brown between the two pictures are so different. With that being said, the brown leather pics on the AE website is a lot closer to the picture I googled than the one posted.

So I guess the question is..how do we walk around with 'camera flash on' all day?
cool.gif

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea lol. The brown between the two pictures are so different. With that being said, the brown leather pics on the AE website is a lot closer to the picture I googled than the one posted.

So I guess the question is..how do we walk around with 'camera flash on' all day?
cool.gif

Maybe they are designed to look good on celebrities being chased by the paparazzi.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads