• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch1

Reaction score

taking my neumoks out for the first time today. these are my first foray into what i consider the new AE. 5-6 years ago when i first started buying AE's, their conservative shoes (park ave, delray etc) were good, but all of their attempts at casual shoes (other than the mora, of course) were just sad, in a pleated dockers kind of way. in the last year or so, with the bayfield, _moks, daltons, etc, i've come back around to AE. here they are:
eKUbj.jpg

these shoes look just awful on the website, and even on the rack, but as soon as you put them on it just clicks.

These are quite handsome. Are these the brown leather?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Neumoks are certainly my favorite AEs. Still contemplating a Cronmok with a mini-lug sole. Maybe next month.

taking my neumoks out for the first time today. these are my first foray into what i consider the new AE. 5-6 years ago when i first started buying AE's, their conservative shoes (park ave, delray etc) were good, but all of their attempts at casual shoes (other than the mora, of course) were just sad, in a pleated dockers kind of way. in the last year or so, with the bayfield, _moks, daltons, etc, i've come back around to AE. here they are:
eKUbj.jpg

these shoes look just awful on the website, and even on the rack, but as soon as you put them on it just clicks.

OldManMachine

Reaction score
I kind of have a difficult situation that I hope the AE vets here can help me figure out.

- I used AE's online self sizing measurement and measured myself as a size 8.5D. I then went and placed an order on the Vernons 8-108 last in 8.5D

- Before the Vernons were delivered to me, I decided to make a trip to the closest AE store (30 miles away) and tried on the Rutledge 3-333 last and the staff sized me for a size 8D which fit me fine so I made the purchase. While in the store, I asked the SA that if I'm a size 8D for the Rutledge, does that make me an 8D for the Vernon as well? She told me yes, I'll be an 8D for the Vernon also. By now, I'm worried because I know that I have a pair of Vernon is 8.5D being delivered to me sometime next week.

- My Vernons have now arrived and after lacing them up, they feel like they fit my feet, the front and width of my feet feel snug except for some heel slippage in the back.

Now my question is if I should return these 8.5D Vernon and wait another 3-4 weeks for a size 8D Vernon? Is the SA correct regarding the sizing? I'm also worried of wasting time and the 8D Vernon may be too small for me since everything already feels snug except for the heel slippage. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can take photos of the Vernons as well if needed.

**Also, what is the usual normal length from where your toe ends, to the tip of the shoe? Is 1" to 1.5" normal?

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got an email saying the AE Bayfield could be had 40% off at Land's End through midnight tonight. Two questions: 1) Has this boot been discontinued by AE? I no longer see it on their web site. 2) How does the fit/last compare to the 5 last?

Unless you have a different offer/promotion, the Bayfield was not eligible for that promotion. Hope you had better luck.

mikeharo

Reaction score
OldManMachine, my opinion: who cares what the size says if they feel good. The SA might know what the brannock says but she doesnt know how your feet feel. My suggestion: wear them around on carpet for a bit to make sure the arch fits where it needs to and go with your gut. Personally, I have shoes from size 7.5 to 9.5. They all feel great and I have no foot issues. Go with what feels good.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score

Noticed this today on my brand new Bayfields. Was looking for opinions on what I should do. Not sure If I should send them back to Lands End or whether this is an easy fix at a cobbler. Any input guys?

starting to look like the alden thread here...

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
if you are keen on keeping the creasing behind the cap, what may help is if you make sure the sole is broken in at the location of the desired crease BEFORE any heavy wearing. you can do this controlled creasing by kneeling carefully and switching sides. my best creasing results from six or so pairs of shoes over the past 3 months have happened when i've tried to pay attention to this. if you wear them right off the bat and wait for the creases to form, it's dealer's choice--the upper creases will fall preferentially where the shoe is most likely to bend (and the sole is a much more important factor than the upper with regard to this), and this may be too far forward for your liking.

this does not completely remove the possibility that the crease may sadly fall right in the middle of the cap, but it sure helps.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
eKUbj.jpg

yea..these are nice. what "color" are they?

kentyman

Reaction score

horsey shoes

Reaction score
I kind of have a difficult situation that I hope the AE vets here can help me figure out.

- I used AE's online self sizing measurement and measured myself as a size 8.5D. I then went and placed an order on the Vernons 8-108 last in 8.5D

- Before the Vernons were delivered to me, I decided to make a trip to the closest AE store (30 miles away) and tried on the Rutledge 3-333 last and the staff sized me for a size 8D which fit me fine so I made the purchase. While in the store, I asked the SA that if I'm a size 8D for the Rutledge, does that make me an 8D for the Vernon as well? She told me yes, I'll be an 8D for the Vernon also. By now, I'm worried because I know that I have a pair of Vernon is 8.5D being delivered to me sometime next week.

- My Vernons have now arrived and after lacing them up, they feel like they fit my feet, the front and width of my feet feel snug except for some heel slippage in the back.

Now my question is if I should return these 8.5D Vernon and wait another 3-4 weeks for a size 8D Vernon? Is the SA correct regarding the sizing? I'm also worried of wasting time and the 8D Vernon may be too small for me since everything already feels snug except for the heel slippage. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can take photos of the Vernons as well if needed.

**Also, what is the usual normal length from where your toe ends, to the tip of the shoe? Is 1" to 1.5" normal?
Agreed with mikeharo, go with the shoe that feels right... despite what the sizing is.
In my experience, it has always been best to try on the shoe to ensure fit, even on the same lasted shoe styles.
For me, heal slippage is a big red flag and something I would size down for. But, depending on the shoe, you may be able to minimize the slippage if the lacing pushes your foot back enough... boots seem to solve this better than shoes thought. Just be sure to keep width in mind too if you do size down.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Guys, so I have made up my mind. My next shoe during the sale will be a wingtip: Amsterdam in bourbon or Jefferson in brown. Anyone have pictures in the wild of the Jefferson? From everything I have read, this is a shoe to die for.
My avatar pic shows the Jeffersons in burnish brown and confirmed, they are exquisite shoes.
The leather on Independence collection feels much more supple than the standard shoes (strand, etc.). And, they use a softer lining that gives a much more well broken in glove feel to your feet in my opinion.

My SF response would be to get both the Amsterdam and Jefferson if you could swing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads