• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCer

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I ordered a pair of the deeply discounted Bayfields from Lands End. They were [I think] $225 Cdn delivered to my Vancouver office, all in. I see they're over $280 now, at a lesser sale price. They're fantastic! Just what I wanted with their mini-lug soles for those pissy-rainy Vancouver days, or upcoming winter business trips to Chicago and Montreal. Love them!

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a CPA and you can put a price on goodwill :) It's exactly what happens when a company buys another. I know what you meant though. I thought it was relevant to the topic, though.
I thought the same thing, but I didn't think that it was a fight worth starting, lol...

RefleX

Reaction score
If you're talking about the "bowing" or "gaping" issue around the ankle, good luck with that. Just do a search in this thread for those terms and you'll find dozens of reports from those who have experienced this problem with AE shoes, most commonly PAs. Gave me quite a headache as well back in the spring when trying to acquire some black PAs. Took me three tries to find a pair that were acceptable.

I have two pairs in front of me now in "limbo". One right shoe is good, others are bad. I did a live chat today with a CS rep and they found some that were in store and not drop shipped. I asked her to please insist on really checking the shoes and shipping them differently just in case and she said absolutely. I asked her to ask the branch rep to make sure there isn't any stretching on the rear quarters and he said they were in good shape. I'm crossing my fingers; I'm annoyed that I have to keep charging my card and waiting for a refund.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
/thread

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^
Killer boots man!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Does the lack of lining affect normal sizing?
I honestly don't think so. I am no expert, but I assume the shoe is built over the last after the lining has been installed. This to me would assure that the inside is the same, but the outside dimensions would change slightly. I am sure there are others on here that can back up or refute the opinion. I think it may feel a bit more roomy, due to the added flexibility in the leather without the lining.
I am not sure.

cincikid

Reaction score
I honestly don't think so. I am no expert, but I assume the shoe is built over the last after the lining has been installed. This to me would assure that the inside is the same, but the outside dimensions would change slightly. I am sure there are others on here that can back up or refute the opinion. I think it may feel a bit more roomy, due to the added flexibility in the leather without the lining.
I am not sure.
+1. Unlined shoes definitely feel roomier to me.

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Speaking of walnut shell Daltons.

PSA, Pelle line has some stock. It's labeled as dark brown shell cordovan but the pair I received and returned were walnut shell on the box.

Dillardiv

Reaction score

I'm a CPA and you can put a price on goodwill :) It's exactly what happens when a company buys another. I know what you meant though. I thought it was relevant to the topic, though.

Yay accounting! Although he really meant "brand loyalty, word of mouth promotion, etc., which is what the non-accountant almost always means when using the word goodwill. (I know you know that, but I just wanted to say it "out loud")

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I know it's just a shot of the shoe, but can anyone concur with my thought that these wouldn't pair well with denim? I have to be able to wear all my bluchers with jeans.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they pair absolutely fine with jeans (preferably a dark wash). They are a bit on the more formal side but still totally work. You could add something like an antique brass eyelets to make them slightly more casual but then they would not work quite as well in a formal setting.

I wear shell PTB's all time with jeans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads